Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

I agree with those saying we'll have room. People always forget that you don't have to be a good prospect to leave for the NBA. You don't even have to be a good prospect to be drafted in the NBA. Roberson, for example, even with incremental improvement will be as good of a move to the draft as many recent ones we've seen.

It's never a bad idea to prepare for a kid to leave early, and we've been surprised in the past, but I just don't see how Roberson leaves early with just incremental improvement. Right now, the only thing he does that's above average for a college forward is rebound. Given his average-below average NBA size for a PF and relatively average athleticism, there'd be no money for him to go get. We wouldn't be talking about the difference between guaranteed or non-guaranteed money. We'd be talking about the difference between non-guaranteed money and no money.

Now, if Roberson or another player manages to blow-up and have an All-ACC type season, then we're obviously talking about something. But I think TR would need more than an incremental improvement to get to that point.

If we're going to have a player leave early, I think the two best bets are an Obokoh transfer or DC2 ending his career due to injury. I don't think Richardson or Lydon will get the playing time necessary to show anything spectacular to NBA scouts (this is where I could be wrong).

It's never a bad idea to prepare for a kid to leave early, and we've been surprised in the past, but I just don't see how Roberson leaves early with just incremental improvement. Right now, the only thing he does that's above average for a college forward is rebound. Given his average-below average NBA size for a PF and relatively average athleticism, there'd be no money for him to go get. We wouldn't be talking about the difference between guaranteed or non-guaranteed money. We'd be talking about the difference between non-guaranteed money and no money.

Now, if Roberson or another player manages to blow-up and have an All-ACC type season, then we're obviously talking about something. But I think TR would need more than an incremental improvement to get to that point.

If we're going to have a player leave early, I think the two best bets are an Obokoh transfer or DC2 ending his career due to injury. I don't think Richardson or Lydon will get the playing time necessary to show anything spectacular to NBA scouts (this is where I could be wrong).
Would love to see Roberson come back with about ten more pounds on him, becoming more consistent in his rebounding and work harder on the offensive rebounds. Everyone is worried about his offense but if he becomes a beast on the offensive boards he could score another four points a game pretty easily. I'd love to give him the nickname of Rodman.

Hopefully, not due to injury reasons. I'm thinking that he moves on to his next stage in life (probably playing overseas somewhere).

I have thought this as well and if he makes it through a season healthy and has his degree there is some sense to getting paid and extra year for playing bball even if the NBA is out of the question.

I have thought this as well and if he makes it through a season healthy and has his degree there is some sense to getting paid and extra year for playing bball even if the NBA is out of the question.

I have said this before and stand by it, no way we get DC two more years. He either plays next year and leaves for a pro contract or retires from basketball. We need a center for 2016-17 badly.

I have said this before and stand by it, no way we get DC two more years. He either plays next year and leaves for a pro contract or retires from basketball. We need a center for 2016-17 badly.

I agree we need to grab a center for '16-'17 but I'm more optimistic about Coleman's future here.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't want to see him come here. Getting him would force us to push the sanctions back a year, and he wouldn't even be able to play next year. I'd rather see us deal with the 10 we have currently and then land someone like Sedee Keita. He seems to really want to come to Syracuse and I think he would be serviceable in the middle of the zone. Obviously doesn't have the length that Chukwu does, but when you consider that neither of these guys are really expected to contribute on offense, I'd be fine with a 6'11 Keita if it means being able to keep the sanctions pushed up a year. Couple that with a more experienced Diagne and Lydon as well as the addition of Moyer and I'm not too worried about how our zone will look.

Couple that with a more experienced Diagne and Lydon as well as the addition of Moyer and I'm not too worried about how our zone will look.

Why does everyone keep thinking that zone is going to be the bread and butter this far out? It will still be in the package, but Hopkins is on record saying he wants to be more versatile and aggressive.

How could you not want this guy to be settled in as the back~stop for your zone defense?

Paschal Chukwu963930.jpg

Why does everyone keep thinking that zone is going to be the bread and butter this far out? It will still be in the package, but Hopkins is on record saying he wants to be more versatile and aggressive.

More versatile and aggressive? Where does that imply no zone? Or even less zone? Or some man? I envision it more like Lville, more pressing, pressing and trapping out of the zone more, extending the zone out to the ball handler all the time. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hopkins play m2m as a change up here and there but I would be surprised if the 2-3 wasn't still the bread and butter. Sure Hop will put his own spin on it but I highly doubt he abandons it or plays anywhere close to the amount of m2m he does zone.

To me the zone likely stays as long as we continue with program hand me down coaches.

Visiting UConn?

I don't want him...

That's like kids down here choosing Duke or UNC. If you are a fan of either, you hate the other.\

You are either with Cuse or against, none of this UConn BS.

More versatile and aggressive? Where does that imply no zone? Or even less zone? Or some man? I envision it more like Lville, more pressing, pressing and trapping out of the zone more, extending the zone out to the ball handler all the time. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hopkins play m2m as a change up here and there but I would be surprised if the 2-3 wasn't still the bread and butter. Sure Hop will put his own spin on it but I highly doubt he abandons it or plays anywhere close to the amount of m2m he does zone.

To me the zone likely stays as long as we continue with program hand me down coaches.

Where did anyone say he would abandon the zone? I was speaking more philosophically that Hop's mentality would be more aggressive and he'll likely be more willing to throw out different looks. That will require teaching multiple schemes in practice, but plenty of other schools manage to do this without their heads exploding, so I think we'll be ok.

Where did anyone say he would abandon the zone? I was speaking more philosophically that Hop's mentality would be more aggressive and he'll likely be more willing to throw out different looks. That will require teaching multiple schemes in practice, but plenty of other schools manage to do this without their heads exploding, so I think we'll be ok.

"Why does everyone keep thinking that zone is going to be the bread and butter this far out?"
My response was basically to what I have in parentheses. I'm saying that I think it still will be the Bread and Butter when Hopkins is in charge and then interpreting what I thought his comments meant.

While we're on the topic of M2M vs Zone, it's a real shame that the NBA doesn't allow zone. It's one of the most effective defenses, especially in college, and JB has used it to his advantage. But the recent trend seems to be that recruits know they won't be playing zone in the NBA, so they don't want to play it in college, and we end up losing out on top recruits because of it. Based on this alone, I think Hop will have to throw some M2M in there when/if he takes over, and that in turn will probably lead to a change in recruiting strategy. I would welcome a change of pace, but it really is a shame that after so many years of the Syracuse zone we might be witnessing the beginning of its decline.

While we're on the topic of M2M vs Zone, it's a real shame that the NBA doesn't allow zone. It's one of the most effective defenses, especially in college, and JB has used it to his advantage. But the recent trend seems to be that recruits know they won't be playing zone in the NBA, so they don't want to play it in college, and we end up losing out on top recruits because of it. Based on this alone, I think Hop will have to throw some M2M in there when/if he takes over, and that in turn will probably lead to a change in recruiting strategy. I would welcome a change of pace, but it really is a shame that after so many years of the Syracuse zone we might be witnessing the beginning of its decline.
The NBA has allowed zone D for several years now. No worms to see here.