Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

Just turned on the draft ... and as expected, PayPal's face and his "student athletes" are front and center. I mean ... good luck to the players, but I'm praying this isn't going to be another Kentucky leg-humping ritual by ESPN.

Is that even possible considering the scholarship situation ?
If a 7-2 kid wants to come in ... somebody's getting a PWO in a hurry. That or we turn Sanky's hissyfit sanctions upside down on our appeal.

If a 7-2 kid wants to come in ... somebody's getting a PWO in a hurry. That or we turn Sanky's hissyfit sanctions upside down on our appeal.

What is a PWO? I assume it means being shown the door but I don't know the acronym.

Chukwu!!! 7-2 in the middle of the zone ... can really change things. I just wish he didn't have to sit. But it's not so bad ... he arrives (possibly) when another big-time recruit comes in, and our Fab-4 frosh have their sea legs. Watch Out.

He's visiting this weekend, this could be interesting if we can land him. I think we still have at least a 3 man class for 2016 with either an appeal/transfer/early grad.

Looking forward to hearing how the visit goes, with a potential lineup of Battle/Richardson/Roberson/Lydon/Chukwu we could be back to "happy times."

If they get Chukwu and don't have enough scholarships for 2016, could this spell trouble for Obokoh.

I don't get this. If he transfers and sits out a year the ship still counts against 2015-16 which puts us at 11 ships. That delays the start of sanctions a year and then uses up the only remaining ship in the 2016 class they are holding for one of Battle/Gilbert/Huerter. We can't count on getting relief in the appeal. What is the compelling reason to do this for a guy who was not an elite recruit?

If Chukwu does come here, his scholarship will count toward the 15-16 season even though he will not be able to play. We will then have one less scholarship to offer to the 16-17 class going forward - it doesn't matter who might leave early for whatever reason, we will still have one less than we could have offered. Taking Chukwu will also delay the start of the 4 year scholarship reduction by another year. I think people might be minimizing just how much those scholarship reductions are being used against us in recruiting, especially when combined with JB stepping down in 3 years. I realize that most of you are already factoring in that the penalty is going to be reduced after the appeal is finalized. Even so, I'm not so sure that spending the scholarship resources on a project like Chukwu is in the best interest of the program for either the short or long-term.

I don't get this. If he transfers and sits out a year the ship still counts against 2015-16 which puts us at 11 ships. That delays the start of sanctions a year and then uses up the only remaining ship in the 2016 class they are holding for one of Battle/Gilbert/Huerter. We can't count on getting relief in the appeal. What is the compelling reason to do this for a guy who was not an elite recruit?

I like the way you think. My thoughts exactly - I was typing out my reply before you posted and then didn't see what you said before I posted. My bad.

if pokemon comes here then obokah is gone. no reason to have a 7-2 center and a project kid like obokah when scholarships are at a premium. with the news that battle might come here too, obokah is packing his bags as we speak (most likely)

if pokemon comes here then obokah is gone. no reason to have a 7-2 center and a project kid like obokah when scholarships are at a premium. with the news that battle might come here too, obokah is packing his bags as we speak (most likely)
Where's the dislike button when you need it?

They are involved with centers such as Sedee Keita who is not even in the top 50. Chukwu is a legit 7 footer who will have two years of college (counting his redshirt) under his belt by the time Keita gets here, most likely he would be much more prepared to contribute. The fact that SU is actively recruiting him, and have in the past, SU must figure that it is worth waiting a year to start the sanctions. SU hasn't had a legit 7 footer in a long time.

I hate to say and it will sound very disrespectfull to obokah but its the way I think it is. He was absolutely screwed by the NCAA and lost his redshirt year, he is now going to be a junior and looked absolutely lost last year; unplayable. Not only did the NCAA screw his situation up but they then went and hit us big time with scholarship restrictions and every scholarship is about 10 times more valuable then it was when he was recruited. Lastly, Thomas Bryant picked Indiana, any reason that there was to keep him around vanished with that commitment. Therefore I think Obokah is gone and its just a matter of time. Obviously I don't know the inner workings and I hope it works out for the kid because he seems like a really good kid that has come a long way but I just don't see him staying around with his limitations and our scholarship reductions; the NCAA did him no favors from the start.

CU44, that is why I mentioned my question about Obokoh. This is his year, if he shows he can be a solid contributor he could be an asset to the program, but for only one more year. Otherwise he is taking a valuable scholarship that could go to a prospect with a much higher ceiling. Part of his initial recruitment was based on the premise that he would redshirt. That being taken away, plus the sanctions, further compromises his situation.

We don't ask good kids to leave. I have no interest in rooting for a team with UCon morals. If as kid wants to transfer, that's one thing, if a coach puts pressure on the kid to leave by talking about playing time, that is shady. This college. These kids are not being paid. They are not disposable.

I don't understand why people say Obokoh looked lost last year...

Sure he's not exactly a high D1 talent yet due to how raw he is, but he certainly didn't look like he didn't even belong on the court. He had a few nice lay ins and boards. Harsh critics around these parts.

Unless they don't care when the sanctions start, they wouldn't have had him here for a visit if they weren't feeling that someone is leaving next year besides the seniors. Could be someone that chooses to go based on playing time or pro aspirations.. Who knows, could be Coleman. They may know that he is questionable for even this year, yet alone two more years.

if a coach puts pressure on the kid to leave by talking about playing time, that is shady. They are not disposable.

It happens a lot. I think something like 800 kids transferred last year. Some to other D-1 schools where they have to sit out a year and some to D-2 where they don't. Here is the list from last year. I'm not sure how many kids are on it but I counted the A's and B's and got 81 kids so maybe it was more than 800. Cuse has had it share of transfers. Not as many as other schools, but definitely our fair share.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ry-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

I don't understand why people say Obokoh looked lost last year...

Sure he's not exactly a high D1 talent yet due to how raw he is, but he certainly didn't look like he didn't even belong on the court. He had a few nice lay ins and boards. Harsh critics around these parts.

Honestly, these are the same people that would have ran Rak off the program two years ago. We wouldn't have won 10 games without him last year.

It takes time with big men and Chino is no different. Chino wasn't exactly a scrub in high school. Kid had multiple offers including Kansas so relax. Last year he played solid D and gave his 5 fouls like all young big guys. Not everyone is Shaq coming out of high school.