Class of 2019 - C Qudus Wahab (VA) to Georgetown | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Qudus Wahab (VA) to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected, need to go hard after a grad transfer at center. Regardless, we have problems when we can’t recruit at a position of need.
you claimed tt was not a center. i've demonstrated to you that he was both recruited as one and only played that position at syracuse (and you badly misread the charts to claim otherwise)

i'm not interested in your other points. they are boring and others have formulated them better & others have responded to them elsewhere. ad infinitum.
So you wanted to point out that we got a four star center, the exact scenario that i spelled out happened to said 4 star center. Because of that he decided to transfer away from Syracuse, and in the next 3 cycles we weren't able to get another 4 or 5 star center. Thank you very much as you have proved my point even better than i articulated it. By the way the charts are awesome. Do you have one on how oftern Thompson got yelled at and put on bench in his one season before transferring away from us?

Since when was it wrong to bench a player for making mistakes and not playing the game the way the coach wants it to be played lol. Who cares if he was benched? No one. He played at center and stared at center. He got Benched because of defensive reasons he was offensively skilled we saw that every game with him but his lack of skill and effort on defense is what got him benched not offense. Do y’all seriously believe players shouldn’t get benched for their mistakes?? Seriously ?? Sheesh

you claimed tt was not a center. i've demonstrated to you that he was both recruited as one and only played that position at syracuse (and you badly misread the charts to claim otherwise)

i'm not interested in your other points. they are boring and others have formulated them better & others have responded to them elsewhere. ad infinitum.

So much for that argument of yours

2016-17 Men's Basketball Roster - Syracuse University Athletics

Since when was it wrong to bench a player for making mistakes and not playing the game the way the coach wants it to be played lol. Who cares if he was benched? No one. He played at center and stared at center. He got Benched because of defensive reasons he was offensively skilled we saw that every game with him but his lack of skill and effort on defense is what got him benched not offense. Do y’all seriously believe players shouldn’t get benched for their mistakes?? Seriously ?? Sheesh
Great point my friend. Let me counter it. Taurean Thompson was recruited as a power forward to Syracuse. The player, coach, team, university all refer to him as a Forward. Here is the official roster from Syracuse University Athletics website to end that silly conversation.

So he was a forward. The fact that somebody plays out of position due to necessity doesnt change who they are, or the players position. For example last night vs BC Tyus Battle sure played alot of PG, but hes not a point guard is he? Dolezaj surely played C but obviously he isnt a Center is he? But back to the curious case of Taurean Thompson who is being heralded as the "one 4 star big we won in the last 4 recruiting cycles". Its important to keep in mind he ONLY played 5 out of necessity at the end of the year. You might recall Dejuan Coleman started the year at center. We started the season at Colgate Friday Nov 11 at Colgate with a front court of Roberson and Lydon at forward and Dejaun Coleman at Center. As we all know Coleman re injured his knee and ended his season after 17 games or so. From that point on Lydon played majority of the minutes at Center. Another interesting note is Andrew White started season as our starting 2 guard. After the Wisconsin loss Battle moved to starting G and Andrew White to SF Lydon to PF and Roberson to the bench. Two games later I was in attendance as we lost at MSG to UCONN 52-50 again our starting lineup G Howard and Battle, Lydon and White Forwards and Coleman at center. Roberson played 13min of the bench and Thompson 4 minutes of the bench. Lets just look at this game for a moment. Here are our minutes from the froncourt players that game
Lydon 40 minutes
Coleman 28
White 37
Roberson 13
Taurean Thompson 4
For the 12 minutes Coleman was on the bench who played C???????????? Obviously not Thompson if he only played 4 minutes. It was Lydon. I bring this up for two reasons. The first is everybody in the group i was with was shocked that Lydon was playing Center and not Thompson and the second is the pecking order was clearly established. I state the minutes because its fact that is indisputable as to who played more center. We could go game by game if people want. Ironically Lydon wasnt recruited to play Center either as he also was a forward lol. The point is Lydon, Thompson both played it Center out of necessity. But that didn't make either a Center. The secondary point is that Lydon played more at center than Thompson.

Now that we got that out of the way to your question. I think players should be recruited,taught, developed based on the players ability. If Syracuse recruited TT as a forward and plays him at Center as a true freshmen and he makes mistakes its really not on him. DEVELOP him AND put him in a position to take advantage of his strengths not in a position he has never played vs competition better than he has ever seen. That literally is the only reason we need coaches lol. If he makes the same ole mistakes then he might need to be benched or play his true position. To be honest we kinda got off in the weeds on this. My initial post was regarding why we have consistently missed the last really 5 cycles on 4 or 5 star bigs. I will submit the "curious case of Taurean Thompson" as another exhibit as to why we are missing on bigs.

Great point my friend. Let me counter it. Taurean Thompson was recruited as a power forward to Syracuse. The player, coach, team, university all refer to him as a Forward. Here is the official roster from Syracuse University Athletics website to end that silly conversation.

So he was a forward. The fact that somebody plays out of position due to necessity doesnt change who they are, or the players position. For example last night vs BC Tyus Battle sure played alot of PG, but hes not a point guard is he? Dolezaj surely played C but obviously he isnt a Center is he? But back to the curious case of Taurean Thompson who is being heralded as the "one 4 star big we won in the last 4 recruiting cycles". Its important to keep in mind he ONLY played 5 out of necessity at the end of the year. You might recall Dejuan Coleman started the year at center. We started the season at Colgate Friday Nov 11 at Colgate with a front court of Roberson and Lydon at forward and Dejaun Coleman at Center. As we all know Coleman re injured his knee and ended his season after 17 games or so. From that point on Lydon played majority of the minutes at Center. Another interesting note is Andrew White started season as our starting 2 guard. After the Wisconsin loss Battle moved to starting G and Andrew White to SF Lydon to PF and Roberson to the bench. Two games later I was in attendance as we lost at MSG to UCONN 52-50 again our starting lineup G Howard and Battle, Lydon and White Forwards and Coleman at center. Roberson played 13min of the bench and Thompson 4 minutes of the bench. Lets just look at this game for a moment. Here are our minutes from the froncourt players that game
Lydon 40 minutes
Coleman 28
White 37
Roberson 13
Taurean Thompson 4
For the 12 minutes Coleman was on the bench who played C???????????? Obviously not Thompson if he only played 4 minutes. It was Lydon. I bring this up for two reasons. The first is everybody in the group i was with was shocked that Lydon was playing Center and not Thompson and the second is the pecking order was clearly established. I state the minutes because its fact that is indisputable as to who played more center. We could go game by game if people want. Ironically Lydon wasnt recruited to play Center either as he also was a forward lol. The point is Lydon, Thompson both played it Center out of necessity. But that didn't make either a Center. The secondary point is that Lydon played more at center than Thompson.

Now that we got that out of the way to your question. I think players should be recruited,taught, developed based on the players ability. If Syracuse recruited TT as a forward and plays him at Center as a true freshmen and he makes mistakes its really not on him. DEVELOP him AND put him in a position to take advantage of his strengths not in a position he has never played vs competition better than he has ever seen. That literally is the only reason we need coaches lol. If he makes the same ole mistakes then he might need to be benched or play his true position. To be honest we kinda got off in the weeds on this. My initial post was regarding why we have consistently missed the last really 5 cycles on 4 or 5 star bigs. I will submit the "curious case of Taurean Thompson" as another exhibit as to why we are missing on bigs.

tl;dr

Ewing is bringing in some talent there. Good for him. Makes sense for solid bigs to want to play for an NBA hall of famer. Also have a really solid backcourt with Akinjo and McClung, both freshman. I think a lot of sites underrated McClung. He's not tall, but quite strong for his size and often the best athlete on the court, overlooked usually because of said height and the fact he's white (truth). Will be interesting how Georgetown fares in the next few years.

Lydon 40 minutes
Coleman 28
White 37
Roberson 13
Taurean Thompson 4

I think this is a solid post. TT was generally recruited here as a forward not a 5. Articles from Syracuse.com (Mike Waters) suggested same, as well as some other articles when he committed to SU. In his very lengthy recruiting thread here he was listed as a forward, not a center.

In his frosh season, he played center out of necessity, as you alluded due to injuries to Coleman and need. At times he was like a fish out of water, especially on D. JB often wasn't happy with his D, and it was quite noticeable many times when JB pulled him aside, etc. Some of it of course was simply being a frosh, learning the zone, etc, but he wasn't a center and he was basically "learning on the job" in this new capacity as well.

I recall how many here thought TT at the 5 was, let's just say not ideal, but one of need due to injury, roster shortcomings, etc. Same for Lydon when JB placed him at the 5 spot...Lydon was a stretch 4. The 5 spot has been a serious concern/weakness of ours since Christmas graduated and we have missed out on most/all of our seemingly main targets for that specific spot our last few recruiting cycles. I feel trying to debate this otherwise, is just not being fully honest/transparent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors