Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

BH is annoying. That’s a given.
BH and I do not get along. I think I actually blocked him. Every single thing I would tweet, and every article I wrote when I was more actively writing, all he did was react negatively to.

That being said, he isn't entirely wrong here. But I doubt there is anything the kid can say now to get him off his case.

The kid is a Newhouse student. Works for the DO. Works for the radio. You can question the commitment but you can’t say he’s trash and then tag the kid on twitter.
He claims to be a photography person for the DO. Not a sports writer.

Right. Bring him in to be a developmental project, but the only project big man while the others are good players ready contribute.

I will say the tendencies on tape with Patterson are a bit concerning but those things can be coached. 7-2 with good athleticism cannot.
At least our head coach is patient on that front.:rolleyes:

My take.

You can hate the signing. You can argue it represents a step down in recruiting.

But don't tag the kid. And don't double down by making silly excuses when you are called out on it.

If Nick is reading this, just apologize kid. Say, "it was dumb. I screwed up. I am going to reach out to the kid to apologize in addition to apologizing here." And then do that.

No couching. No pretending it was sarcasm. Just apologize.

And when he does that, everyone needs to move on. Because as stupid as this was, Nick is not exactly a fully-baked human yet either and his career should not be cancelled because he made a single dumb mistake.

What it comes down to is that you think before you tweet. By tagging him, he wanted him to see it which is sinister in itself. Kids are searching their names on social media, so believe they see what it being said about them. I do think someone from SU should pull him to the side now because as a professional this is behavior that can inhibit his career.

For sure...I would add we could go back and read the thread for Benny extoling his pure jump shot as well.
To be fair, it does look nice a lot of the time. I wish it went in more often, but it doesn't look bad.

For sure...I would add we could go back and read the thread for Benny extoling his pure jump shot as well.
I was one of those people. I watched all the videos I could find of Benny including full games. He scored from all levels and he was much more comfortable. He had a turn-around jumper that was unstoppable. I believe he was looking decent in the preseason games. But, then his shot flattened out and he looked tentative doing anything and everything.

I was one of those people. I watched all the videos I could find of Benny including full games. He scored from all levels and he was much more comfortable. He had a turn-around jumper that was unstoppable. I believe he was looking decent in the preseason games. But, then his shot flattened out and he looked tentative doing anything and everything.
yeah, I'm not suggesting what you saw was incorrect either. My point is before we do ITYS, it goes both ways.

Its why I tend not to come over to this board a ton to comment on how good/bad a recruit is. We've seen it both ways. Best to hope for the best, brace for the worst, and mostly importantly wish the young man good luck with our team

To be fair, it does look nice a lot of the time. I wish it went in more often, but it doesn't look bad.
It looks flat to me like 75% of the time

yeah, I'm not suggesting what you saw was incorrect either. My point is before we do ITYS, it goes both ways.

Its why I tend not to come over to this board a ton to comment on how good/bad a recruit is. We've seen it both ways. Best to hope for the best, brace for the worst, and mostly importantly wish the young man good luck with our team
Absolutely, I thought it would take Maliq Brown a while to contribute. But, Maliq keeps it simple. He plays defense, rebounds and plays well around the basket. He plays with a good pace and he doesn't panic. Benny seems to think WAY too much out on the floor and he gets in his own head. If Patterson comes in and can play defense and rebound, then at least that's something.

So again, all about expectations - I wasn't sure we'd be able to get a highschool player this class. At all.

Instead we got one at a critical position with really interesting measurables, that isn't a total unknown.

Patterson's commitment is better than I expected.

So again, all about expectations - I wasn't sure we'd be able to get a highschool player this class. At all.

Instead we got one at a critical position with really interesting measurables, that isn't a total unknown.

Patterson's commitment is better than I expected.

Patterson has a lot of tools. He's tall, he's athletic, he can run like a deer, and he has a 7-6 wingspan. He's also raw, not refined offensively, and skinny. So as you and djcon point out, it could go either way.

But trashing the kid? I mean -- it's possible that he doesn't pan out in any capacity, a la Sean William, and ends up being just a practice warm body.

Or maybe he "only" ends up eventually settling in as a quality backup center, a la Baye Moussa Keita or Jeremy McNeil [and there's solid value in that].

And if the stars align, then maybe he'll be able to actualize his full potential a la Jesse and turn into a quality starter.

I'm not predicting which outcome will eventually prove to be how things pan out. But gambling on athleticism long term isn't a bad choice, if we can land some portal transfers to contribute short term.

Patterson has a lot of tools. He's tall, he's athletic, he can run like a deer, and he has a 7-6 wingspan. He's also raw, not refined offensively, and skinny. So as you and djcon point out, it could go either way.

But trashing the kid? I mean -- it's possible that he doesn't pan out in any capacity, a la Sean William, and ends up being just a practice warm body.

Or maybe he "only" ends up eventually settling in as a quality backup center, a la Baye Moussa Keita or Jeremy McNeil [and there's solid value in that].

And if the stars align, then maybe he'll be able to actualize his full potential a la Jesse and turn into a quality starter.

I'm not predicting which outcome will eventually prove to be how things pan out. But gambling on athleticism long term isn't a bad choice, if we can land some portal transfers to contribute short term.
Well said.

I was wondering about his wing span. Looked huge in the cuse pic holding the balls. 7’6” is 2 inches longer than Jesse I believe. Any idea what his actual
height is? Is he actually 7’2”? Surely he’ll be 6’11” when he gets here.

I was wondering about his wing span. Looked huge in the cuse pic holding the balls. 7’6” is 2 inches longer than Jesse I believe. Any idea what his actual
height is? Is he actually 7’2”? Surely he’ll be 6’11” when he gets here.

Probably inflated.

But let's just say he's "only" 6-10 or 6-11 -- no issues there.

When your starters are top-100 players as juniors and seniors, taking on one or two frosh projects is perfectly acceptable. AO was a project, on a team loaded with six top-50 recruits and upper classmen starters. Rick Jackson and Scoop were "projects" as freshmen, but they were top-60 recruits and both got minutes in their freshman years.

But this team if you return all the non-seniors only has two non-projects. We've got senior projects on this team right now in conjunction with frosh projects and recruit projects combined with a coach who still thinks its 2005, or 1995, or 1985, or 1975 ...

ETA: And, I hope this kid turns into a quality big who can play minutes, it'll be awesome to bump my posts in 3 years when he's averaging 4 blocks a game and Thabeet-ing all over the place.
Good take on the sad state of the roster.

Note that AO was a very late pick up when we missed on everyone else.

Regardless of Pattersons skill, is this a good use of a scholarship? This literally has nothing to do with him as a player other Than fact that he’s a “project center”. A lot of P5 schools have these kind of guys for obvious reasons - it did appear he had TCU and OK State offers.

But with Carey, Hima, JBA, then further extend it out to Benny and Maliq - that is just a lot of guys on scholarship who can’t really shoot or dribble. And our first commit for 2023 is another big who’s a project. It just doesn’t make any sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom