Cal blaming loss on officials tagging his "key" guys... | Syracusefan.com

Cal blaming loss on officials tagging his "key" guys...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
IDK about all of that but the officiating was awful in that game. So many touch fouls.

Funny I don't recall such an article being written when we played Ohio State in 2012 and Dion Waiters fouled out for the only time in his college career. In 20 minutes.

Did JB complain about it? I don't remember.

No. And he explicitly told the team not to blame the loss on officiating, either, in the locker room after the game before the team allowed the press inside. Even though those @!#$!#$ buckeyes shot 42 free throws in the game.

Still bothers me.

Yeah that's what I thought.

IDK about all of that but the officiating was awful in that game. So many touch fouls.
Understandable, but UK plays very aggressively on defense and they're always touching the opposing player. The refs can't call everything so they have to make judgement calls. And sometimes the fouls don't look as bad in slo-mo replays.

No. And he explicitly told the team not to blame the loss on officiating, either, in the locker room after the game before the team allowed the press inside. Even though those @!#$!#$ buckeyes shot 42 free throws in the game.

Still bothers me.

That was in Pittsburgh, right? I was there about 10 rows from the court and Pat Riley was sitting in the aisle next to my group and confirmed to us he was scouting Dion Waiters (who at the time everyone thought would drop into the teens\20s for the draft). I used to think of Dion as a young Dwayne Wade and so obviously i made a jerk-store of myself and let Pat know that too.

All these years later, though, I was not at all surprised when Dion signed with the Heat.

That was in Pittsburgh, right? I was there about 10 rows from the court and Pat Riley was sitting in the aisle next to my group and confirmed to us he was scouting Dion Waiters (who at the time everyone thought would drop into the teens\20s for the draft). I used to think of Dion as a young Dwayne Wade and so obviously i made a jerk-store of myself and let Pat know that too.

All these years later, though, I was not at all surprised when Dion signed with the Heat.

Boston

Boston. But our first two games that year were in Pittsburgh [2012].

Funny I don't recall such an article being written when we played Ohio State in 2012 and Dion Waiters fouled out for the only time in his college career. In 20 minutes.

NCAA directive: We do not want the Bernie Fine story part of this Final Four. People won't say it publicly, but I know there were people in the know who smelled something fishy and felt the deck was stacked. Won't give names, but let's just say they would know what they're talking about. Thank you ESPN and your stellar reporting.

Still bothers me.

I do think OSU outplayed us and deserved the win but 42 FTs is unheard of! Especially against a team that plays exclusive zone! That was really frustrating.

I do think OSU outplayed us and deserved the win
get-out.gif

I do think OSU outplayed us and deserved the win but 42 FTs is unheard of! Especially against a team that plays exclusive zone! That was really frustrating.

I mean, unheard of until our game vs Cal in the 2013 tourney.

Completely, completely disagree. They took Dion Waters out of the game--he only played something like 12 minutes, saddled with 4 fouls.

We offset their ungodly free throws with quality play. The refs took this one from us by calling a whistle every time their fat @$$ post made a spin move. That really saddled us.

Their 2G had 18 points, on a night that we took other things away and dared him to shoot. But it is tough to win 8-5, and I firmly believe that we got hosed by the refs that game.

Completely, completely disagree. They took Dion Waters out of the game--he only played something like 12 minutes, saddled with 4 fouls.

We offset their ungodly free throws with quality play. The refs took this one from us by calling a whistle every time their fat @$$ post made a spin move. That really saddled us.

Their 2G had 18 points, on a night that we took other things away and dared him to shoot. But it is tough to win 8-5, and I firmly believe that we got hosed by the refs that game.

We did get hosed by the refs. I will concede to that and I never complain about officiating. I'm just going on memory, really. Seemed like we were very stagnant for awhile and got beat on the glass. I seem to remember them getting key offensive rebounds and Joseph making silly turnovers like dribbling off of his leg out of bounds at least once. Oh well. Doesn't matter.

We did get hosed by the refs. I will concede to that and I never complain about officiating. I'm just going on memory, really. Seemed like we were very stagnant for awhile and got beat on the glass. I seem to remember them getting key offensive rebounds and Joseph making silly turnovers like dribbling off of his leg out of bounds at least once. Oh well. Doesn't matter.

Agreed--I never complain that refs "cost us a game," but that one was a different story.

I watched it closely and with a lot of personal interest [besides being in Boston at the game], because unfortunately my wife and her family are OSU grads. So that is one that drove a wedge in my family. ; )

The Triche charge call while the Ohio State defender was on the move that should have been a 3 point play was by far the worst call in that entire game. Not only did it deprive us of a 3 point play, but it also took all momentum away. That call still angers me to this day.

The Triche charge call while the Ohio State defender was on the move that should have been a 3 point play was by far the worst call in that entire game. Not only did it deprive us of a 3 point play, but it also took all momentum away. That call still angers me to this day.

Down three with about 50 seconds to go. Instead of an and-one, with Triche going to the line for a potential game tying FT, they shoot FTs on the other end and go up 5. Sucked.

We were the better team. Still drives me nuts.

And that has nothing to do with SoBe's post -- we're on the same page.

Still bothers me.
Yeah I was there and I thought maybe I just had Orange colored glasses on and it wasn't as bad as it appeared. But then we got back to relatives in Boston to get our car (major Kansas fans) and they were incensed about the screw job and they don't even like Syracuse.