Calvin Johnson | Syracusefan.com

Calvin Johnson

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Yesterday's performance reminded me once again of that awful night in Orlando - December, 2004.

He thoroughly outplayed the Orange that night in the Champs Bowl.

And once again I come to the same conclusion - no amount of coaching can truly stop that kind of talent when there is such a differential in ability.

The Orange secondary had no chance against Johnson that night - he was just too dominant a player.

I see what you did there!

Calvin is great, but he was a freshman who had 2 catches for 60 yards and a touchdown. I think the greater issue was allowing close to 300 yards on the ground and making Reggie Ball look like Tommy Frazier.

Calvin is great, but he was a freshman who had 2 catches for 60 yards and a touchdown. I think the greater issue was allowing close to 300 yards on the ground and making Reggie Ball look like Tommy Frazier.
2 catches. So unforgettable! Burned into our memory!

2 catches. So unforgettable! Burned into our memory!
That's not even in Torry Holt's class of nightmares and he didn't score.

I just looked at that box score, ouch. I was at the game, but it's all so blurry. The luxury box/Gross drama was so great I forgot there was even a game (except for the part where Cantor was basically sitting on my lap and asking me what our team was doing out there).

But anyway, 51 yards rushing? A third of that on a reverse.

I do remember GT's QB was 4 foot 6, and he was throwing bombs to wide open guys. Didn't even realize they rushed for that much.

Looked like Megatron also had a rushing TD. 4 touches on the game for 74 total yards.

Gts horrible qbs gave us the greatest catch of all time that year. Look up calvin Johnson the catch on youtube.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The best part is going into this game Dez was basically implying he can do what megatron can do. Sure, he grabbed two touchdowns, but he also had a temper tantrum.

Calvin had one of the greatest receiving games in the history of the nfl, and was talked at the one yard line at least once again. Dude is simply a freak. The lebron of football.

The best part is going into this game Dez was basically implying he can do what megatron can do. Sure, he grabbed two touchdowns, but he also had a temper tantrum.

Calvin had one of the greatest receiving games in the history of the nfl, and was talked at the one yard line at least once again. Dude is simply a freak. The lebron of football.

Dez Bryant will never be as good as Calvin. Not even in the same ball park. Bryant is just another good WR but the NFL has a bunch of those. Calvin Johnson is world class and those come around about once a decade. Hes in the same league as Jerry Rice, Randy Moss.

[quoIL, post: 788932, member: 22"]I see what you did there!

Calvin is great, but he was a freshman who had 2 catches for 60 yards and a touchdown. I think the greater issue was allowing close to 300 yards on the ground and making Reggie Ball look like Tommy Frazier.[/quote]

I didn't check his stats before posting.

I was there that night and was going on memory.

I knew nothing about the guy but recall thinking that he was a monster after watching him play.

I recall thinking that we could not defend him - he impacted the game.

Sorry but that's what I recall.

Now do you see what I did?

Last edited:
Dez is very, very good. Not Calvin good, but maybe as close to it as it gets.

His frustration probably stemmed from rarely being targeted (wasn't even looked at until late in the second quarter ). I think he finished the game with 6 targets vs Megatron's 16.

I think Garrett is an idiot for not trying to get him the ball 8 times a game. He doesn't go up and get it like Megatron, but Dez is a freak after the catch.

[quoIL, post: 788932, member: 22"]I see what you did there!

I knew nothing about the guy but recall thinking that he was a monster after watching him play.

I recall thinking that we could not defend him.

I didnt[/quote]

You're probably thinking of Kelly Campbell who went for like 200 yards against us in the kickoff classic a few years before.

[e="Millhouse, post: 789053, member: 78"]Gts horrible qbs gave us the greatest catch of all time that year. Look up calvin Johnson the catch on youtube.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Oh my.

You didn't use "stupid" or "crap" in your post!

I'm honored kind Sir!

I didnt

You're probably thinking of Kelly Campbell who went for like 200 yards against us in the kickoff classic a few years before.[/quote]

No.

Gts horrible qbs gave us the greatest catch of all time that year. Look up calvin Johnson the catch on youtube.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

They don't have a stat in the QB rating formula for terrible passes saved by incredible WRs. They should though. Level the playing field.

Last edited:
Georgia Tech was 6-6 that year. Apparently 6 teams figured out how to control CJ.

2 catches. Hysterical.

They were 6-5 going into the bowl game. Those 5 coaches should have gotten lifetime extensions for beating a freshman Calvin Johnson. Only Beamer and Richt remain from those 2004 bloodbath victories.

I was at the Champs Bowl game too. If it wasn't for being in Orlando in late December, the whole trip would have been a real stinker. I've tried to blackout that game from my memory, but didn't Perry Patterson throw an INT returned for a TD on the first play from scrimmage?

The 51-14 loss combined with the other bookend 51-0 loss to Purdue in the first game of the year was Coach P's final season in a nutshell.

I didnt

You're probably thinking of Kelly Campbell who went for like 200 yards against us in the kickoff classic a few years before.[/quote]
I hadn't heard the term bubble screen yet but I remember thinking "Why isn't O'Leary just having them throw to the WR at the line of scrimmage?"

we gave them 10 yards off the bat but GT never took it.

Watched that game with non-fan friends after convincing them that Freeney was the best player ever. They didn't know why i was nervously muttering oh god this has int written all over it before #11's int. They thought I could see the future. Little did they know that every SU fan watching the game was going this same thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom