Can Fab be Hibbert-like? | Syracusefan.com

Can Fab be Hibbert-like?

Cuse4

Scout Team
I think it's possible. Yes, Hibbert was a better scorer and passer in college and has a few inches on Fab... but what else did Hibbert really do better? He wasn't an unbelievable rebounder. Both can block shots. I honestly believe Fab would have been a better scorer than Hibbert if he stayed just one more year. I also feel Fab is more athletic than Hibbert. Fab has hardly been playing the game. In just two years playing high level basketball he's showed an amazing leap in overall play. Given the right team(maybe even the Pacers with Hibbert) I don't see why Fab can't be a similiar type player.

Maybe. Hibbert is really solid now. He made a couple of incredible drives today for a 7'2 guy. He really snatched those rebounds too and kept the ball up high. Good player.

i think that if fab sticks in the nba it will be as an energy/defense type guy, hibbert is way to cerebral to compare to fab.

i think that if fab sticks in the nba it will be as an energy/defense type guy, hibbert is way to cerebral to compare to fab.

This. Hibbert's game has such a quiet confidence to it. Fab is a more emotional player who has highs and lows throughout a game. Maybe that can change, but I don't think he can ever be on par with a Hibbert.

I think it's possible. Yes, Hibbert was a better scorer and passer in college and has a few inches on Fab... but what else did Hibbert really do better? He wasn't an unbelievable rebounder. Both can block shots. I honestly believe Fab would have been a better scorer than Hibbert if he stayed just one more year. I also feel Fab is more athletic than Hibbert. Fab has hardly been playing the game. In just two years playing high level basketball he's showed an amazing leap in overall play. Given the right team(maybe even the Pacers with Hibbert) I don't see why Fab can't be a similiar type player.

No. Fab can wear pastel-colored Polo shirts with the collars popped to his little heart's content, but he still will never be as big a douche as someone who went to Georgetown.

Yes, Hibbert was a better scorer and passer in college and has a few inches on Fab... but what else did Hibbert really do better

Well other than that...

It's a little hard to compare because Hibbert stuck around for 4 years. But at the end of his career Hibbert was awesome. A much better defensive rebounder, worlds better as a passer, shot 61% from the field on high usage. But like i said, hard to tell, give Fab another year in college and maybe he would;ve done that.

No. Fab can where pastel-colored Polo shirts with the collars popped to his little heart's content, but he still will never be as big a douche as someone who went to Georgetown.

Wear is he going to where them?

Hibbert's development in the NBA has been incredible. Won't be matched for at least another 10 years. Fab has a better chance of becoming the next Thabeet than Hibbert.

I agree Fab needs another year of college development. I have no clue whether he will blossom or become another D-League and out guy. All I do know is that big 7 footers dont grow on trees so he will be given ample oppurtunity.

The key to Fab's success or lack there of will be if whatever team(s) he plays for are patient with him. He has the size and skill set to be a solid-good NBA Center, just has to get through his goofiness.

He obviously has to want it and put in the work though.

Hibbert was an all-star this year, and perhaps the third best center in the league.

The biggest thing Hibbert has that Fab does not (as of now): a high basketball IQ.

any second thoughts?...

No. Indiana went away from him later in the series and Miami was doing a great job fronting the post. Fab has potential but Hibbert is light years ahead of him right now.

It depends where he goes. If he has good veterans around him and is allowed to get better in practice and get 5-10 minutes a game then maybe. If he goes to a really bad team and has to play 25-30 minutes I don't think so.

As a Heat fan, I pray he falls to the Heat. Going against Wade / Bron / Bosh / Haslem in practice will only help Fab realize what he really needs to do. I hope Pat Riley trades up to get him if that is what is needed. Give the Heat a big athletic 7 footer who loves to block shots / take charges / be aggressive and they are borderline unstoppable.

Joel Anthony? That guy is an excellent 1 on 1 defender. But yes, Miami or San Antonio would be great for Fab.

I love Joel, but he is a very generous 6'10". Against true 7'+ centers he is outclassed. He would make an AMAZING off the bench energy guy, but to be your starting center is not the best situation for him.

It depends where he goes. If he has good veterans around him and is allowed to get better in practice and get 5-10 minutes a game then maybe. If he goes to a really bad team and has to play 25-30 minutes I don't think so.

Great post--completely agree. As an "international" player, he would fit the mold of what a team like San Antonio looks for at the end of the first round--high potential guys who need seasoning, have international playing experience, and who can provide value to the organization in 2-3 seasons. He would also benefit from having great coaching, playing with seasoned veterans who excel at performing at a high level in the NBA, and also learning the tricks of the trade against Tim Duncan in practice. If he goes to a franchise that has less structure, lacks veteran leadership, and has a bigger need for him to contribute right off the bat he might falter and his development might get stunted. PT is only useful from a developmental standpoint if you learn to play the right way and don't get bogged down by losing and lapse into bad habits.

In terms of Hibbert, I don't think that they are similar players frankly. But the comparison makes sense in that I do believe that Fab might have a Hibbert-like upside in the sense that he is on the front end of his developmental learning curve, and his best basketball is clearly ahead of him. I was encouraged by the work ethic Fab demonstrated getting in shape this off-season. I was greatly discouraged [and disappointed] by the poor judgement / maturity he demonstrated off the court.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to Fab. If he works hard, the sky is the limit for him. No question he could develop into an NBA caliber starting center once he brings his skill level up to the level of his athletic ability. But if he doesn't have the work ethic to actualize that potential, then he'll follow the same path as a bunch of other mid-to-late first round centers who had all the physical tools but never panned out--Robert Swift, Saer Sene, etc.

Chad Ford tweeted earlier today that Fab looks to be in the best shape of his life right now.

I'm going to go against the grain in this thread and predict that, if he reaches 50% of his potential, Fab will blow right past Hibbert. Hibbert's got an inch or so on Fab, and no doubt he's a big body inside. He's got a nice baby hook, decent rebounder. But .. he runs on his heals and no one's going to mistake him for a gazelle. Fab is a better leaper and has superior athleticism -- he makes Hibbert look like a turtle running the floor. I won't be surprised if Fab's a better shot-blocker than Hibbert, a talent we're going to miss next season. On offense, Fab already has more range on his jump shot, and his baby hook is almost ready for PT (we didn't get to see this shot much b/c Fab was often doubled inside in college). I'm with the guys hoping that he finds a higher level franchise where he can be slow-cooked, rather than flame broiled.