Can somebody explain to me how it makes ANY sense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can somebody explain to me how it makes ANY sense

If they play this season it is going to be like MLB on steroids with teams losing 10-15 players per week to Coronavirus. In a way maybe Coronavirus will decide the National Champion. Hope the kids stay healthy but mind boggling to think that tackle football will be ok when everybody is told to social distance.

NBA is in a bubble so have been pretty healthy but almost impossible to put entire football teams in bubbles as they travel all over playing tackle football

I’d love spring football but you can’t stop in May and start up again in August. Skip a year, let kids come back as healthy as possible for Fall ‘21.

The last and largest trial phases for a vaccine will be completed by the fall and we will know if the candidates are safe and effective.

That is kind of a game changer with this virus.

That is what will be different.
True but they are saying the first batch they make available to the general public will go to the elderly and first responders/health care workers. They won't have enough for every citizen and the high risk people get it first. Your average joe citizen might not see it for a year

even if they dont have a vaccine that soon they will have very fast testing figured out and that changes things greatly.. They have fast cheap tests now and they will get faster and cheaper every few months, even with a vaccine you still need to test down the road.

The last and largest trial phases for a vaccine will be completed by the fall and we will know if the candidates are safe and effective.

This is probably my favorite comment in the history of fan boards.

even if they dont have a vaccine that soon they will have very fast testing figured out and that changes things greatly.. They have fast cheap tests now and they will get faster and cheaper every few months, even with a vaccine you still need to test down the road.

The question mark will be how fast it can be rolled out. I've heard some experts say if it's available by early next year it will be distributed in phases, first to healthcare providers, then to high risk individuals, then everyone else. They think it could be a 2 year process even with manufacturers ramping up production before approval. It's hard to say what level of vaccination will need to happen for the decision makers to feel comfortable. It'll probably still come down to all the numbers we're watching now, active cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Hopefully the roll out is able to happen at lightening speeds.

The question mark will be how fast it can be rolled out. I've heard some experts say if it's available by early next year it will be distributed in phases, first to healthcare providers, then to high risk individuals, then everyone else. They think it could be a 2 year process even with manufacturers ramping up production before approval. It's hard to say what level of vaccination will need to happen for the decision makers to feel comfortable. It'll probably still come down to all the numbers we're watching now, active cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Hopefully the roll out is able to happen at lightening speeds.
In an interview last week, Bill Gates (who might have the best combination of medical and business knowledge on the battle vs the pandemic) said that he's hopeful the situation will be under control in the US by the end of 2021.

Every team plays 8 conference games.
4 home games 4 road games.

Training camp in February.

Season starts March 13.

Play March 13, 20, 27
April 3, 10, 17, 24
May 1.

Conference championship games May 8.

4 team playoff May 22
National Championship game May 31 Memorial Day Monday

Will seniors be eligible to play if their graduation date is before the playoff/championship?

Will seniors be eligible to play if their graduation date is before the playoff/championship?

LAX ends Memorial Day Weekend. College World Series extends into June.

This is a non-problem.

In an interview last week, Bill Gates (who might have the best combination of medical and business knowledge on the battle vs the pandemic) said that he's hopeful the situation will be under control in the US by the end of 2021.
So a year and a half. That seems to line up with what experts have said about the vaccine.

Spring football will be watered down, stars won't play to get ready for the draft, kids will continue to opt out, let's be honest it will be ugly football.

Spring football will be watered down, stars won't play to get ready for the draft, kids will continue to opt out, let's be honest it will be ugly football.
I don't think that should be a factor. It should be about giving players a safe opportunity to play, if moving the season provides that.

Regardless of how much it has turned into a business, this should still about college students getting to participate in varsity athletics while they still have the chance.

So a year and a half. That seems to line up with what experts have said about the vaccine.
I've heard some financial analysts expecting a Q1 roll out, and possible completion in Q2. Obviously, no one knows, but I believe they were basing it pharmaceutical manufacturing capability, and supply chain. Perhaps its a bit too positive, but they kept me listening.

I've heard some financial analysts expecting a Q1 roll out, and possible completion in Q2. Obviously, no one knows, but I believe they were basing it pharmaceutical manufacturing capability, and supply chain. Perhaps its a bit too positive, but they kept me listening.
Here's the Gates interview with WIRED. He's not happy with the testing.

They should skip the season. Spring idea is dumb. And who’s to say anyone will feel safer in the spring.
Right. If CFB is going to take the hit, they will want to come back full force, not ease back tentatively into a makeshift Spring season. It will be Fall 2021 with schools all in. Best case scenario.

Right. If CFB is going to take the hit, they will want to come back full force, not ease back tentatively into a makeshift Spring season. It will be Fall 2021 with schools all in. Best case scenario.

They just need to rip off the inevitable band aid and get this over with. We will join the dozens of UConn fans in mask filled mourning.

Edsall will say he started a movement. We’ll all laugh. Then we’ll all cry.

At best I see a Spring Practice with one or two controlled scrimmages versus other in-conference teams in early April.
I would be cool with this. If it’s possible financially I’d rather have that than play 8-10 games in the spring at the cost of a normal season in fall 2021.

True but they are saying the first batch they make available to the general public will go to the elderly and first responders/health care workers. They won't have enough for every citizen and the high risk people get it first. Your average joe citizen might not see it for a year
Not true, the top 5 candidates for vaccine that are in final trials right now started being produced months ago. So there will be hundreds of millions if not billions of doses.

The problem won't be supply but execution and logistics. And all but one vaccine candidate requires 2 shots.

And yes it will be essential Healthcare, elderly, truckers, etc.

What i find fascinating is the polls at how many people will refuse to take a new vaccine. For a virus that can kill you but they will complain about not working, wearing masks, not being able to go to a gym or movie theater, etc.

There will be a way out but they won't take it...mind boggling.

all most none of the normal methods for vaccines are being followed now.. most of all the amount of money and the scale for production. If they felt something was gonna work they could throw a ton more at a new production facility pretty quickly and they might well now.

They just need to rip off the inevitable band aid and get this over with. We will join the dozens of UConn fans in mask filled mourning.

Edsall will say he started a movement. We’ll all laugh. Then we’ll all cry.
We play checkers while Edsall plays Star Trek multi-level chess blindfolded.

On Page 78, amendment 2, 3rd revision, his contract states a $4500 bonus if he cancels UConn football first in a time of war, national crisis or pandemic.

Last edited:
Not true, the top 5 candidates for vaccine that are in final trials right now started being produced months ago. So there will be hundreds of millions if not billions of doses.

The problem won't be supply but execution and logistics. And all but one vaccine candidate requires 2 shots.

And yes it will be essential Healthcare, elderly, truckers, etc.

What i find fascinating is the polls at how many people will refuse to take a new vaccine. For a virus that can kill you but they will complain about not working, wearing masks, not being able to go to a gym or movie theater, etc.

There will be a way out but they won't take it...mind boggling.
Regarding the quantity available at release, have you heard someone say that or is that assumption?