Can someone here who speaks lacrosse provide us with a Champ game preview? | Syracusefan.com

Can someone here who speaks lacrosse provide us with a Champ game preview?

Brian Orange

2nd String
Swish? JeremyCuse? Anyone? For us Memorial Day only fans, can we get a preview of what to look out for/expect in this game tomorrow? For one, are we favored? Keys to the game? Player to watch out for on Duke?

I apologize, two parties today plus just packed the car for tomorrow. Leaving at 630am for the parking lot for lunch with my second family. If I can get my wife to drive a bit tomorrow, I will try to post something.

Swish? JeremyCuse? Anyone? For us Memorial Day only fans, can we get a preview of what to look out for/expect in this game tomorrow? For one, are we favored? Keys to the game? Player to watch out for on Duke?
I'll leave the analysis part to OOT but gambling wise, Syracuse is 1.5 goal favorite in vegas which personally I believe is too big. Over/under is at 22.5 goals

Well, Duke has a potent offense with lots of scoring options. Josh Dionne, Tripuka and Jordan Wolf are names to watch for. They will provide a tough test for SU. On the otherhand, Duke hasn't seen a defense like this.

Duke's defense is poor. Their goals against average is amongst the highest of any team. Big advantage for SU here - we should score plenty. Their goalie, Turri has the game of his life against Cornell and still let in 14 goals. An average goalie who has a career game can just as easily go into the crapper the next game. Wouldn't be surprised if SU makes him look like a sieve.

Duke's big advantage is at the face-off x. So what else is new? Just another guy for us to deal with.

I think SU wins by 3 - 4.

While I did play for one of the best teams in the best section in the best state in the best sport in the country, and dabbled a little collegiately in DIII, I wouldn't put myself in the same category of some of these other great posters. Some of those guys kept with it in college, and are very knowledgeable. Anyhow, based on seeing Duke just a couple times, and scanning some articles, here is my quick take...

This is simply a top off offense vs a top defense. The perfect score for us is 10-9, Syracuse. Since 2007, Duke is 98-7 when scoring at least 10 goals in a game ... The Blue Devils are 11-22 when being held to fewer than 10 scores ... Duke is 28-23 when allowing 10 goals in a contest and is 80-6 when holding opponents under 10 goals.

Keep an eye on our shooters. We have been in an offensive slump this tournament, and did not place our shots well against Denver. If we bang some in early, this could be a fun day.

Duke is a balanced, high scoring offense. They have a ridiculous 6 players averaging over 2 points per game. #31, Jordan Wolf is their top goal scorer and assist man. He's the only guy whose stats jump off the page. Strangely, Wolf was only a second team All American, one of Duke's 7 All Americans.

Everyone of the other top guys hovers around 20 goals / assists per game. Their assist numbers are particularly well balanced. They have 6 guys with over 16 assists on the season. That is outstanding, and tough to scout.

Our much-publicized achilles is our limitations at the X. Well, hold onto your hats, because # 3, Duke's Brendan Fowler is one of the best face off men of all time.

#2 David Lawson is their JoJo Marasco. He's a 1st team, do it all, all american midfielder.

Their goalie was amazing against Cornell. He had 16 saves. I overheard the analysts say he only had 2 saves in the game prior to that, so there is hope. I recall he is also left handed. This should make things a bit unnatural for our shooters. Areas that would typically be the best place to shoot, are now right where the goal tender's stick is.

Common Opponents
Denver
Duke lost 12-14 to Denver to start the season. Syracuse won 9-8, just recently.

Cornell
Duke beat Cornell 16-14 in the semis. Syracuse beat Cornell 13-12 in the regular season, when they were #2 in the country.

Notre Dame.
Duke lost to Notre Dame 5-13 in the regular season, but beat them 12-11 in the quarter finals.
Syracuse's season really took off after trouncing #1 Notre Dame 10-4 in the regular season. We also won 9-3 in the Big East tourny.

Virginia
Duke beat Virginia 19-16. Syracuse beat Virginia 9-8 in overtime, when they were #6 in the country.

Rutgers
Duke won 16-7. Syracuse won 12-11.

Georgetown
Duke won 19-7. Syracuse won 9-8.

Syracuse
I think our goalie, Lamo, is playing very well. He, and the d, are our strength. Against Denver our sliding (help defense) was very weak. Given Duke's assist numbers, our communication, and effectiveness at sliding, is oh so crucial against Duke. If you see Syracuse players yelling at each other and hanging their heads after Duke goals, we're done.

On offense, we need some of our ghost players, i.e. a Hakeem Lecky or Daddio or Ianzito to break out. Hakeem's a guy that can counter Duke's amazing speed. He can rip it from long, and I would love to see him crank a couple. If Daddio could win a couple face offs, we could crush Duke right at their strength. Ianzito as well, could be an emotional lift.

JoJo, and Dylan, and Cometti will be there for us. We just need some others to step up. We absolutely cannot win this game like we beat Denver, off the efforts of only 2-3 players.

Gut Feel
Heart attack rates rise across the country, as Cuse overcomes a 4 goal deficit with 4 minutes left to tie the game, and wins 14-13 in double overtime. How else could this one be scripted?

I hope we have some real answers at the face-off X today, because unlike Bryant, Yale and to a lesser extent Denver; Duke will put a lot of pressure on our defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom