Can this defense shut down Porter? | Syracusefan.com

Can this defense shut down Porter?

Orangemen

All Conference
For comparison sake, the last one man team we faced was Providence. Cotton killed us for 15 min in the first game before the D was adjusted and he was shut down for the next 65 minutes of game action.

Porter is a whole different animal however. Cotton is about a 5-11 (guessing) 3 point shooter, the zone was designed to shut down these types of players. Porter is a 6-8 guy who can get it done inside or out. Can this zone be adjusted to shut down a guy who can hurt you in multiple ways?

If we shut down Porter, I think we win this game comfortably. Gtown lost to a team last night who scored 1 field goal in the last 14 minutes. They are still a terrible offensive team. Porter going off is the only way we lose this game.

With 1 (major) thing to focus on, can this defense get it done?

(personally, I say yes.)

My opinion only--the defense is going to play well enough for us to win on Saturday, the same way they did the first game against gtown.

The bigger question is: will we be able to hit shots and do enough offensively?

My opinion only--the defense is going to play well enough for us to win on Saturday, the same way they did the first game against gtown.

Definitely this. We should have easily handled Georgetown the first time if our offense was even a little bit better even with Porter going off. Our offense is just so suspect right now. If we had just one player start to get hot from the outside, that would be huge.

Definitely this. We should have easily handled Georgetown the first time if our offense was even a little bit better even with Porter going off. Our offense is just so suspect right now. If we had just one player start to get hot from the outside, that would be huge.

^ ^ Both Right ^ ^
Game 1: 46-57 . . . . 46 !?!?!?!?!?!?!
We were more of a problem than Porter.
Last night too - Low "O" in the beginning of the game again.
We need to score to win. (and yes keep playing defense too)

Nice summary Orangemen. Agree.

We do have to shut Porter down, but we also have to overcome an emotional freight train. The Hoyas will be pumped for a sweep, senior night for them and a push to send us packing to the ACC with our tail between our legs. It's possible we meet them again in the BET, but unlikely.

If Mr. 1-9 from last night can do it both inside and outside on Saturday, that could be the difference. A big point day from James simply cancels Porter out and we win.

Well he won't score 33 again, I'd bet on that.

I agree. Gotta put the ball in the basket and get to the line like we did against DePaul. Villanova went to the like 42 times last night and Georgetown got in major foul trouble. We need to attack the rim for 40 minutes.

Georgetown is a very good defensive team, and we saw that the first time we played them. The key will be when we get a few open looks against that D, will we be able to hit those shots? Hopefully those open looks aren't 30 foot 3's like we were taking the last time against them.

Georgetown is a very good defensive team, and we saw that the first time we played them. The key will be when we get a few open looks against that D, will we be able to hit those shots? Hopefully those open looks are 30 foot 3's like we were taking the last time against them.
That's the other side of it, their D is very good, and we struggle against good defenses.

That being said. We played terrible offensively against Gtown, and lost by 11 while Porter scored 33. If we hold Porter to 20-25 points, and play exactly the same offensively, that game is a coin flip.

I don't expect us to play much better offensively (better yes, but not score 70 points type offense), but I do expect us to play Porter much better defensively.

PAYBACK TIME

314058.2.jpg

WHO'S PORTER?

Even if he goes off, I'd just be happy if he isn't going off with 19 wide open catch and shoot shots. At least make him work for it.

I agree. Gotta put the ball in the basket and get to the line like we did against DePaul. Villanova went to the like 42 times last night and Georgetown got in major foul trouble. We need to attack the rim for 40 minutes.

Villanova pushed the ball up the floor very agressively all night so that the Whoreyas couldn't really get their defense set. Nice job of feeding it to players rotating in and out of the top of the key then kick outs. We need to get them running on Sat.

For comparison sake, the last one man team we faced was Providence. Cotton killed us for 15 min in the first game before the D was adjusted and he was shut down for the next 65 minutes of game action.

Porter is a whole different animal however. Cotton is about a 5-11 (guessing) 3 point shooter, the zone was designed to shut down these types of players. Porter is a 6-8 guy who can get it done inside or out. Can this zone be adjusted to shut down a guy who can hurt you in multiple ways?

If we shut down Porter, I think we win this game comfortably. Gtown lost to a team last night who scored 1 field goal in the last 14 minutes. They are still a terrible offensive team. Porter going off is the only way we lose this game.

With 1 (major) thing to focus on, can this defense get it done?

(personally, I say yes.)

their super sub, hyphenated last name dude is also capable of lighting it up from 3. He is JT3's go to guy when their offense stagnates, and last night Nova weathered that storm with Porter looking human on the road. Should be a close, low scoring rock fight with both teams high 50's, maybe low sixties. We need James to find that Fayetteville stroke again and they could win easy.

That's the other side of it, their D is very good, and we struggle against good defenses.

That being said. We played terrible offensively against Gtown, and lost by 11 while Porter scored 33. If we hold Porter to 20-25 points, and play exactly the same offensively, that game is a coin flip.

I don't expect us to play much better offensively (better yes, but not score 70 points type offense), but I do expect us to play Porter much better defensively.

Yeah, but the main problem I have with this is the rest of the Gtown team was awful. The rest of the team was 7-35. I don't expect that to happen again. We scored 46 points in 60 possessions vs Gtown; if we do that again it's going to be real tough to win.

i think what the faithful fans want to hear is what DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS will be made to shut down otto porter jr.? our base 2/3 ZONE clearly is not the answer. how will we defend otto porter DIFFERENTLY?

i think what the faithful fans want to hear is what DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS will be made to shut down otto porter jr.? our base 2/3 ZONE clearly is not the answer. how will we defend otto DIFFERENTLY?
MMmmmmm...Porter

porter2.jpg

i think what the faithful fans want to hear is what DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS will be made to shut down otto porter jr.? our base 2/3 ZONE clearly is not the answer. how will we defend otto porter DIFFERENTLY?

Uh, don't lose sight of him with only 5 seconds or so left on the shot clock. :noidea:

A defacto box and 1 type defense? Standard 2-3 zone, of course, but whatever zone Porter is in, the defender stays with him, regardless of all other action. The defender then follows him to the next zone until that zone defender is in position to take him over.

Not a box and 1 exactly, but a zone with 1 guy guaranteed to be covered at all times.

We can win this game if we run a half-decent offense, which means trying to score from inside the 3 point line. We hit a few 3s early in the first game and then just kept chucking up 3s. Work the O inside-out and we can win.

i'm thinking dajuan coming in for 2 minutes and going all medieval on his ass with pliers and a blowtorch.

How about Triche not pinching way down into the lane when Porter is standing all alone by himself at the 3 point line? That would be a start.

How about Triche not pinching way down into the lane when Porter is standing all alone by himself at the 3 point line? That would be a start.

but these are basic tweeks that any jv coach should have made in syracuse way early in the 2nd half when otto jr. broke over what..20 points ? i'm calling for something a bit more radical here ... a new tactic.

OPERATION STOP OTTO!

The way I look at it, we absolutely cannot let a guy named OTTO, who plays for our archrival, hand us a loss in our final Big East game ever.

It cannot happen.

Paging CJ Fair, you're wanted for a career game in your homecoming of sorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom