Can we have a grown up convo about what we think the base offense set is? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we have a grown up convo about what we think the base offense set is?

What do we actually think the base offense set looks like?

I suspect it's going to be a 3 wide, single back set.

I know everyone's enamored with Gadsden nominally listed as a TE, but 1) he's going to be on the field a lot, 2) lining him up with a finger in the dirt doesn't play to his strengths and might even hinder his advantages so calling the base offense a two TE set probably doesn't make sense, and 3) Villari is also going to be on the field a lot as a natural tight end anyway. For purposes of where he lives in the offensive set, Gadsden is one of the 3 wides.

Justus-Simmons would seem to be another. Then there's a snap battle for the 3rd spot between Haynes/Pena/Meeks/Hatcher/one of the many freshmen etc. It looks like we have a lot of productive options there.

Allen's a no brainer as the back.

Also for all you jokers out there I'm assuming 5 OL and a QB (McCord).

3 wide single back. That's the move.
Agreed. No matter what they call OG or where he lines up he is not a TE. Never has been. I see Villari playing a TE/H-Back type role. May also line up in the backfield and be lead blocker. That will enable him to get a carry or 2 or more a game which I really like when its not our #1 play as it ended up being last season. No matter what I think its going to be fun to watch.

the ability to run play action and throw accurate passes will be a world of change.

Effective play-action is the most under-rated element to an effective offense.
I also tend to favor misdirection and counters on the interior blocking. It can enable a less talented line to compete with better athletes through misdirection and teamwork.

Last edited:
Effective play-action is the most under-rated element to an effective offense.
I also tend to favor misdirection and counters on the interior blocking. It can enable a less talented line to compete with better athletes through misdirection and teamwork.
Fran might even go back into history and run an unbalanced line with the scissors play.

Fran might even go back into history and run an unbalanced line with the scissors play.

The unbalanced line created havoc with the fronts of opposing defenses. I watched a bunch of those old Schwartzwalder teams on tape, and it was really good football.

I am hoping the quick kick makes a comeback.
Seriously though, it would be a shame not to incorporate some Villari style Wildcat this year, especially with a (seemingly) vastly upgraded O-line.

I think this is right.

I suspect the deception will come from play action passing. It's not going to come from a ton of pre snap movement or formation shifts.
I do hope the scheme is not going to rely on us out-talenting or overpowering the opponent. We have better players, sure, but we’re also not Alabama. Before injuries decimated the 2022 team Anae did some nice things with the passing routes to scheme players open.

I do hope the scheme is not going to rely on us out-talenting or overpowering the opponent. We have better players, sure, but we’re also not Alabama. Before injuries decimated the 2022 team Anae did some nice things with the passing routes to scheme players open.
I do think down the road he wants to be able to outsize and run power when he wants but i tjink he knows we dont have llineman for that yet. Gotta run some zone and a counter or two with rpo mixed in and bombs. we need bombs