Can we make a forum for conference realignmment? | Syracusefan.com

Can we make a forum for conference realignmment?

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
I am so tired of this bs, I understand that some really enjoy the daily rumor mill stuff and give a what Billy Joe bob from Texas a&m thinks or who the sec is pursuing...

The one thing that has become clear with this, is nobody has a ing clue as to what their talking about so why read it.

Completely agree.
borat_thumbs_up.jpg

Given the amount of bandwidth devoted around cyberspace to the topic, if nothing else, it's clearly a popular topic. Certainly I can understand your frustration stemming from a saturation, however.

Expansion, in my opinion, is so discussed for the same reasons that fantasy sports or recruiting are popular: the imagination is always more powerful than reality. The uncertainty is fun to ponder. For me, I've enjoyed talking about it for these reasons but also because I'm enamored in the financial ramifications, and it combines my love of sports, finance and broadcasting/TV entertainment all into one cohesive discussion.

The Hamsterwheel of Speculation- I love that term an ESPN guy used.

Basically, if we are headed for four 16 conferences, just do it. Call a convention and make all the deals all at once. I hate this incremental stuff where TCU is in a different conference every year, the Big East winds up with two dozen teams and schools like SU don't know what the future holds. Just do it and let eveyrbody get used to it. Let the rivalries develop. If we get left out, let SU concentrate on graduating four year athletes and maybe we can win another naitonal title among like-minded schools.

The problem is when conferences were formed they were about natural rivalries, which are the life-blood of college sports. Now they are just about markets. And yet college sports don't play well in the big markets. Most college markets are just like Syracuse and Central New York.