Can we put to bed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we put to bed

lol! I meant how did he play against Dion and Scoop? I saw the game

Well, piecing from memory hundreds of tidbits from here and elsewhere, it looks like TC got his butt kicked much of the time last year, as we should expect. But Dion and Scoop themselves (as well as others, including asst. coaches) have at times given TC glowing praise.

I wish I had a cohesive summary about him regarding all that, and I don't have jack squat inside info compared to many others here, but the Bloody Elbow Brigade Hall of Fame Dinner just sent monogrammed invitations to the Cooney household, but not yet to the Carter-Williams pad in Lynn. Return address Hopkins.

Oh crap, I'm turning into Bud Poliquin...

Why? Because you don't think they can do it or you don't think we'll need it? CJ- I agree, but there will be games where James plays 8-10 minutes at the "2" because of foul trouble or freshman being freshman.
I don't think they can do it against good guards

JSouth up against a good guard is a recipe for disaster. How many times has he looked good in the cupcake section of the schedule. As someone said in one of the threads, let's see how he looks against Arkansas for openers. Then the regular Big East schedule before we make him out to be something he was not meant to be.

Bump.
People better warm up to the idea of seeing James at the two.

still don't see it happening

How many airball 3s that lead to layups on the other end do you need before you see it happening?

well if he is going to be playing guard maybe he should be getting some reps in

Bump.
People better warm up to the idea of seeing James at the two.
if he doesn't play any guard in the next few games he won't be all year unless there is an injury

Coney will shoot himself out of it. Give him a break. He's not a one trick pony.
The thing I worry about is Cooney's height for a spot up. He's listed @ 6'4". Unless Triche & MCW are a few inches taller than their listed heights, Cooney can't be more than 6'2" in reality. Seems like the best shooters out there are at least 6'4". Fact is, good screens are hard to come by. We really need a guy in that role with the release point to shoot over the defender on a consistent basis.

He has shown very good stretches of defense. Against Arkansas it was important to see him be quick enough going backward & side to side. If he stays focus on that aspect of his game for now, he'll be on the floor consistently.

The thing I worry about is Cooney's height for a spot up. He's listed @ 6'4". Unless Triche & MCW are a few inches taller than their listed heights, Cooney can't be more than 6'2" in reality. Seems like the best shooters out there are at least 6'4". Fact is, good screens are hard to come by. We really need a guy in that role with the release point to shoot over the defender on a consistent basis.

He has shown very good stretches of defense. Against Arkansas it was important to see him be quick enough going backward & side to side. If he stays focus on that aspect of his game for now, he'll be on the floor consistently.
When he walked off of the court at one point last night, he walked past GMac and was easily a couple of inches taller. Height isn't an issue.

When he walked off of the court at one point last night, he walked past GMac and was easily a couple of inches taller. Height isn't an issue.
But GMac is only about 5-10 in reality. I'm 6-2 and have stood next to Gerry, and I towered over him.

And I believe Cooney is a legit 6-3 or 6-4.

But GMac is only about 5-10 in reality. I'm 6-2 and have stood next to Gerry, and I towered over him.

And I believe Cooney is a legit 6-3 or 6-4.
I agree he is a legit 6-3 or 6-4. My point was that he is plenty tall enough to get his shot off.

the CJ and James at guard crap?

they will not play guard and if they are it means we are in trouble

If Cooney stays cold for the 5 games or so we have left until the Big East season, we could see more of James at the top of the zone.

CJ and JS did not play at guard at all

Not in this game, because they ran us up and down the floor. He barely played Coleman and Christmas. With Arkansas being a bit undersized, but pretty fast, it just wasn't a game for them to get more than 10-15 minutes. But against a big physical Big East team, I could see James out there at the top of the zone, so we could get an extra big guy on the back line (2 bigs and C.J., with James and Mike up top). Not as a main lineup, but to get some beef in the game if we're having trouble on the boards, or want to turn up the defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom