Can we talk about Estime's fumble please? | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about Estime's fumble please?

VaSaltine

Starter
I don't know about everyone else, but I personally cannot recall ever seeing a more absurd, mind-boggling, what-was-he-looking-at, call in my entire life. Ruling on the field was down by contact? Estime was standing on two feet still running and the ball was dislodged from a shot on his arm. He then continued to run while looking for the ball, when the whistle blew and the call was proclaimed.
Wha????

Awful call.

But I cannot believe that the whistle no longer ends the play.

Right call was made...but if a whistle results in one team pulling up and another diving for the ball...i dont know. Seems odd that such subjectivity is allowed for.

I thought the same thing... it was clearly obvious to anyone watching the game at full speed that it was a fumble... who in their right mind could have thought he was down? Then they took about 5 minutes to review it to make sure... huh? The replay official should have politely declined to review it and tell the on field official to check his glasses.

Awful call.

Right call was made...but if a whistle results in one team pulling up and another diving for the ball...i dont know. Seems odd that such subjectivity is allowed for.

no doubt whatsoever that was a fumble but clearly the whistle blew before the recovery. i had always heard that sh#tty call or not the whistle ends the play. now for the 1st time i'm told there's evidently some gray area.

Or the shitty call that almost cost us the game. 3rd and 5 with 8 minutes left, when their corner ran along the line came over the line two yards, our right tackle Foy flinched and WE were called for motion.
I was screaming at the TV, ref absolutely blew the call and almost cost us the game. Would have been first and 10 at about the 13. But no we get a sack and grounding penalty then punt. How could he miss such an easy call.
I watched replays over and over slo mo and for some reason the Ref lined up with the WR that was off the line instead of the line of scrimmage then was blocked by the WR when the DB ran across the line, and Foy was pretty far back. Weird play.

Awful call.

News to me, too, but ESPN had a referee consultant at the ready and he explained that, and I wish I remembered the phrases used, apparently there is a judgment call to be made on plays like this between when the whistle blows and the recovery is made.

Most ridiculous initial call I've ever seen in my life. I would have been embarrassed had the call somehow stood up. Glad they got it right.

I don't know about everyone else, but I personally cannot recall ever seeing a more absurd, mind-boggling, what-was-he-looking-at, call in my entire life.

Nothing will ever top the Ohio/Buffalo intentional grounding in the end zone (actually the 4 yard line) call.

ohio-safety.gif

News to me, too, but ESPN had a referee consultant at the ready and he explained that, and I wish I remembered the phrases used, apparently there is a judgment call to be made on plays like this between when the whistle blows and the recovery is made.

Most ridiculous initial call I've ever seen in my life. I would have been embarrassed had the call somehow stood up. Glad they got it right.

The phrase is "immediate recovery" meaning that even with whistles blowing, if a guy jumps on the ball, and it was clear no one else could have recovered the ball, his team obtains possession.

If Hickey had stopped immediately upon hearing a whistle, an argument could have been made the whistle stopped him recovering the ball, but hickey still went all out after the ball, and never came close to recovering as Minny was on the ball instantly. Hence the "immediate recovery" clause and Minny obtaining posession despite the whistles.

i've literally seen hundreds of replays that show a runners knee was not down when he fumbled but the whistle kills the play and therefore overrules any recovery. now i cannot recall a fumble more obviously incorrect but have NEVER EVER seen play continue and possession granted after the whistle. NEVER!!!!!

The first question is: How could anybody say he was "down by contact"?

The second question would be: Why would anybody blow the whistle at that point?

I suspect the whistle was blown by the same guy.

if there is a clear recovery right after whistle bows its allowed for recovery

I think the term is Premature Whistleation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom