Can we talk about the play calling? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about the play calling?

Lots to dislike about the O yesterday and the red zone O was beyond horrible. One question I have is...are the taller possession WR's really that bad they can't be put in when they have the ball on the 5? They have their "power" package, why not have a taller WR package for inside the 5?

I’m literally sick , I have no words for the int that he said he was throwing away I’ll have facts after film ... disappointment is an understatement.. sorry to let you all down ..Allow me my two cents although I don’t deserve to talk ... The Play calling which is a good amount of Dino’s calls starts and ends with the O line play I mean what O doesn’t ?
Our longest run was 6 yards and we know our rbs are better than that . Last week we actually had a 10 yard gain . No running game at this time . We all were excited for the run game this off season. Everyone will ? Play calling but
It’s not easy with the issues we have .
Clemson blitzed and pressed our WRs saying our athletes are better than yours
They were simply stifling . Outgaining us 3/1
How many 50/50 balls Clemson get yesterday? We lack a custice . I don’t have the answers . Can we block anyone this year ? Idk
Dino has his work cut out for him . Can we turn it around sure but it’s no guarantee
Fundamentals of blocking and tackling are lacking yes the D showed fight and gave us a chance but 600 plus yards and missed tackles
In spots . How many missed tackles did Clemson have ? I’m just a lost sole today
Tommy is banged up but has no real injuries I’m thankful for that .. thanks for letting me vent a little

No surprises, no misdirection, the same old stuff against the No. 1 team in the country.

Plus, every single running play we have is straight up the middle.

How on earth do we expect to be successful when our play calling is this easily scouted, especially with the deficiencies we have on the offensive line.

We miss Sean Lewis. In a bad way.
Do y'all realize that for the 2015 year at BGSU and the first two years at SU Lynch was Co-OC with Lewis. Lewis never had the title of OC all by himself. And Babers has a heavy hand in the play calling...this is his offense. So no we don't miss Sean Lewis. We miss the personnel we had last year.

I’m literally sick , I have no words for the int that he said he was throwing away I’ll have facts after film ... disappointment is an understatement.. sorry to let you all down ..Allow me my two cents although I don’t deserve to talk ... The Play calling which is a good amount of Dino’s calls starts and ends with the O line play I mean what O doesn’t ?
Our longest run was 6 yards and we know our rbs are better than that . Last week we actually had a 10 yard gain . No running game at this time . We all were excited for the run game this off season. Everyone will ? Play calling but
How many 50/50 balls Clemson get yesterday? We lack a custice . I don’t have the answers . Can we block anyone this year ? Idk
Dino has his work cut out for him . Can we turn it around sure but it’s no guarantee
Fundamentals of blocking and tackling are lacking yes the D showed fight and gave us a chance but 600 plus yards and missed tackles
In spots . How many missed tackles did Clemson have ? I’m just a lost sole today
Tommy is banged up but has no real injuries I’m thankful for that .. thanks for letting me vent a little
You don’t ever have to apologize for letting people down. Your son’s working hard and doing the best he can. He’s the starter for a major college football program, and by all accounts a great young man.

Be proud.

Hey, after Maryland, if you had told me pre-game that we'd have 1st and goal with 11 to go in the 3rd, a chance to cut the lead to 4 and that the D would have only given Clemson 17 points by that point, I would have signed up in a heartbeat.

No doubt, the interception was an absolute killer (although I thought Cordy's whiff on 3rd and 1 when he had him for a loss and would have forced them to punt from inside their 10 and they take it to the house was the true backbreaker) but Clemson was always a house-money game so rather he make that play against them than against any of the remaining ACC teams on the schedule.

Still rather have a QB with the physical tools that has to improve decision-making rather than the other way around (and we've had a bunch of those over the last 2 decades)...
Gotta fix the Oline... Having to run for your life every play cannot be easy...

Hopefully, the real D is what we saw for 2+ quarters vs Clemson rather than what we saw vs Maryland. If so, it will give coaches time to try and fix the O...

You don’t owe us an apology.
It’s entertainment.
Your boy just needs to develop.
We weren’t winning this game. I was disappointed in a few plays but overall I am more frustrated with the play calling.

Do y'all realize that for the 2015 year at BGSU and the first two years at SU Lynch was Co-OC with Lewis. Lewis never had the title of OC all by himself. And Babers has a heavy hand in the play calling...this is his offense. So no we don't miss Sean Lewis. We miss the personnel we had last year.

There’s a reason why one is a HC and the other is still a coordinator.

That being said, the terrible play calling is absolutely on Dino, too. Blame the OL all you want but if you have a group that can’t block straight on then move the pocket a little bit. Do something different.

Haven’t seen anything different. Which is very disappointing.

Lots to dislike about the O yesterday and the red zone O was beyond horrible. One question I have is...are the taller possession WR's really that bad they can't be put in when they have the ball on the 5? They have their "power" package, why not have a taller WR package for inside the 5?
clemson wr's abused us with size.

There’s a reason why one is a HC and the other is still a coordinator.

That being said, the terrible play calling is absolutely on Dino, too. Blame the OL all you want but if you have a group that can’t block straight on then move the pocket a little bit. Do something different.

Haven’t seen anything different. Which is very disappointing.
Because one wanted to be an HC. BTW Kent St went 2-10 last year and is 1-2 so far this year.

I find myself wondering where our fast tempo went. I thought this was a core principle of Babers' offense.

The reality is out of the 4 seasons he's been here, we rarely play at any pace that would be considered "fast" in the modern era. Our pace would be considered more "meathead". It's pretty rare that we actually play fast or have played fast the last few years.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Most fans on here, the things we say are in a complete vacuum. This is our entertainment for the week in many cases but none of it is as personal as it may come across sometimes.

The defense was great in the first half because it wasn’t gassed.

Offense NEEDS to move the ball a even to pick up a couple first downs to give those boys time to regenerate.

Overall, playing calling has been rough, OL has been TERRIBLE. Even if TD was Tom Brady out there, he probably would be struggling with how that line is playing.

Because one wanted to be an HC. BTW Kent St went 2-10 last year and is 1-2 so far this year.

Plenty of great OC’s are average or below head coaches. Doesn’t change the fact that he was a very good OC, IMO.

Dino was 4-8 & 4-8 in his first two years. How do we feel about him?

Should have left it at your first sentence.

Plenty of great OC’s are average or below head coaches. Doesn’t change the fact that he was a very good OC, IMO.

No. You're the one who said there was a reason one was an HC.

Frustrated, but still hopeful. The game becomes very difficult when you face 3rd and 12 on almost every series.

They abused Cordy.
Frederick and Obi played and help up really well when Ward let them play press and man to man.
Cordy never turns and looks for the ball. There were times last night that if he just turned his head he might have been able to make a play on the ball. Iffy can get away with that because he is tall with long arms. Cordy well lets just say he is vertically challenged like me. Refs were horrible last night. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how many times the Clemson wide outs pushed off last night and Syracuse got called for pass interference.

Dino also lost Dungey midway through each of those 4-8 years. I think we see better records for those 2 seasons if ED stays healthy.

No. You're the one who said there was a reason one was an HC.

Huh? Yes, to ascend to HC you have to be a top coordinator.

He was, and now is a HC.

HC success does not indicate how good you are as a coordinator. That has been proven time and again.

Therefore, your second sentence regarding record at Kent State in his first year plus adds nothing.

Play calling in the redzone with an oline that cant run or pass block is going to kill this teams chances..

Get rid of the jumbo package, better going with 2 TEs and at least hope the TEs can can 1 free release in 4 plays.

Still for all the plays that didnt work.. the fact the #11 is faster than our skill guys totally changed that game. he alone save 2 TDs. that TD rollout was perfectly called and he made a saving play. The Speed that Clemson has on D most teams wont have so there is hope.

IMO, your post reflects the frustrations of many of us!
I am wondering, anyone, just how much of our OL's poor performance is a lack of talent and how much is poor coaching?

The goalline play calling was horrible imo. Two up the middle and then the obvious bootleg, and dont get me started on the fourth down call. Simmons said he knew tommy was bootlegging there. Shouldve tried that on first down when its less expected. Also, why not try the fake dive then pass to te that seemingly works every time. The fourth down design was horrible. Just ran the rb out and te to the short side of field where both were blanketed by multiple defenders.

Play calling in the redzone with an oline that cant run or pass block is going to kill this teams chances..

Get rid of the jumbo package, better going with 2 TEs and at least hope the TEs can can 1 free release in 4 plays.

Still for all the plays that didnt work.. the fact the #11 is faster than our skill guys totally changed that game. he alone save 2 TDs. that TD rollout was perfectly called and he made a saving play. The Speed that Clemson has on D most teams wont have so there is hope.

Maybe its hindsight, but i thought the boot was obvious there.

If no one else will say it I will.

That dropped pass on the first drive killed us. The crowd would have been roaring and its a game of momentum inches.

Its time to see changes in who gets snaps at WR.

Same suspects giving up on plays. That is whats disappointing. Give the bigger guys a shot, cannot be worse.