Cannot take 2024 anymore, so lets revisit 2006 | Syracusefan.com

Cannot take 2024 anymore, so lets revisit 2006

swish7

All Conference
Honestly cannot take this team anymore right now. Had that DVD set from the BET laying around. Really hadn't watched it since I bought it off here.

Just wanted to compare them to 2024.

Right away, memories flooding in at how much fun the BE was.

Also noticing what a beast Terrence Robert's was, compared to our current group.

Darryl Watkins too? I mean, come on!

Matt Gorman?? Better than our bigs.

D Nich able to run, drive to the tin and get an and 1 right away.

Need grit? Eric Devendorf. Dude is all over the court, punking dudes.

Josh Wright? Better IQ & fundamental skills than our options.

McCroskey? Not even sure what position he plays, but I'll take him over our options.

JB? Coaching furiously. Smart w his substititions, giving GMac some rest at key points.

2-3 zone, but challenging shooters, offering resistance.

I'll stop when I am done folding laundry, or when the women come on, but for now, 2006, take me away...

Last edited:
Honestly cannot take this team anymore right now. Had that DVD set from the BET laying around. Really hadn't watched it since I bought it off here.

Just wanted to compare them to 2024.

Right away, memories flooding in at how much fun the BE was.

Also noticing what a beast Terrence Robert's was, compared to our current group.

Darryl Watkins too? I mean, come on!

D Nich able to run, drive to the tin and get an and 1 right away.

2-3 zone, but challenging shooters, offering resistance.

I'll stop when I am done folding laundry, or when the women come on, but for now, 2006, take me away...
You have the whole BET run on DVD? I have searched everywhere online to watch any of those games.

BE basketball was better than the ACC and is better now . got 3 ranked teams and NOVA ain't one of them.

that team had men on it. Wow just on the eye test alone compared to what we have now
That’s the thing if our players put the work in the weight room and eating like our old teams did. We would be in a much different position right now. Our guys have more raw talent now.

All four games were amazing, but that UConn game was surreal. They absolutely destroyed us twice that season. UConn IMO was the best team in the country that year bar none. GMac always had so much trouble against Marcus Williams. Everything just clicked for us that day.

All four games were amazing, but that UConn game was surreal. They absolutely destroyed us twice that season. UConn IMO was the best team in the country that year bar none. GMac always had so much trouble against Marcus Williams. Everything just clicked for us that day.
Watched that game in Schine with the lax bros. They had it up on a screen and the place was going insane.

Among many differences, our guards then could guard their opponent. UConn is not just slicing through us with no resistance.

that team had men on it. Wow just on the eye test alone compared to what we have now
Completely agree. The differences between then and now are stark.

Was at 3 of these 4 games (all but the semis vs Gtown), I went to over 30 Big East tournaments and this was the best one of them all from the SU fan standpoint anyway. And ironically it was arguably the worst regular season SU had during their time in the Big East, finishing at 7-9 and in 9th place in the league, they were the underdog seed-wise for all four games. So many times they came in as one of the juggernauts if not the biggest dog, and got ousted. Can't believe it's been over a decade since the departure, it was probably my favorite time of the year, a tradition I always took in with family, which started when I was 7 years old (I'll turn 50 later this year). Lotta great memories, I really miss those days.

Loved the Big East. Time moves on and change happens, not only for the best. These old teams played N Carolina and Duke as equals. I think that N Carolina and Duke would lose their recruiting mo jo if they joined the BE.

Was at 3 of these 4 games (all but the semis vs Gtown), I went to over 30 Big East tournaments and this was the best one of them all from the SU fan standpoint anyway. And ironically it was arguably the worst regular season SU had during their time in the Big East, finishing at 7-9 and in 9th place in the league, they were the underdog seed-wise for all four games. So many times they came in as one of the juggernauts if not the biggest dog, and got ousted. Can't believe it's been over a decade since the departure, it was probably my favorite time of the year, a tradition I always took in with family, which started when I was 7 years old (I'll turn 50 later this year). Lotta great memories, I really miss those days.

Agreed - some of my best memories are of me and my dad at Blarney and Syracuse games during the Big East tourney. I have a hard time believing any Syracuse ACC tourney win will be as electric as when Cuse beat Georgetown in ‘13. I looked forward to the BE tourney; I’m doubtful the ACC tourney will ever really matter to me.

Josh Wright going 4 for 4 from the line the last 17 seconds! He came through in a huge way.
A backup guard, & pretty good one at that!

I got detention for skipping Spanish class twice to go watch two of the BET games.

First time was with a substitute, so getting out was cake. 2nd time, the regular teacher was back and not at all happy with what I did. Told me I couldn’t leave the room. Told her I had to pee, then just walked to the weight room where the TVs were lol.

Agreed - some of my best memories are of me and my dad at Blarney and Syracuse games during the Big East tourney. I have a hard time believing any Syracuse ACC tourney win will be as electric as when Cuse beat Georgetown in ‘13. I looked forward to the BE tourney; I’m doubtful the ACC tourney will ever really matter to me.
I took in one session of the ACCT at Barclays in Brooklyn in 2017. I hadn't planned to do so but my cousin reached out the day before and asked me if I wanted to go, tickets were as low as $6, and I happened to be off work that day, so we gave it a shot. Place was half empty, we watched SU lose to Miami, stuck around for some of the Duke game afterwards and left. Just a far cry from what I had been so accustomed to for so many years. The ticket for a day session featuring SU at MSG just a few years prior would have been starting at about $150 apiece on the secondary market, and it proved to be worth it on so many occasions.

MSG has this special way of making you feel like whatever event taking place there is the most important thing on Planet Earth at that moment in time. And then when you leave after a game there is just an infinite number of bars and restaurants and things to do.

I have no idea what people do after leaving the Greensboro Coliseum. Drive to the nearest Bojangles?

MSG has this special way of making you feel like whatever event taking place there is the most important thing on Planet Earth at that moment in time. And then when you leave after a game there is just an infinite number of bars and restaurants and things to do.

I have no idea what people do after leaving the Greensboro Coliseum. Drive to the nearest Bojangles?

It's the mecca for a reason. It's the world's greatest arena for a reason. The gravity of it matters.

But let's go to Brooklyn and DC and wherever in North Carolina... Move HQ from G'boro to CLT (ooohhhhhh). OK, end of my rant.

I was working at 37th and Broadway and left to go to the Cincy / Cuse game. Went to Blarney first I believe then hit up the game. So much fun.