Cant wait til Cooney hits 5 + threes | Syracusefan.com

Cant wait til Cooney hits 5 + threes

It will. And is it just me, or does SU have more reliable 3 point shooters with probable significant playing time than any other SU team in history?

I count 4 - Cooney, Southerland, Triche and MCW. Even the '02-'03 team only had Melo, GMac and Duany (some might include Edelin).

It will. And is it just me, or does SU have more reliable 3 point shooters with probable significant playing time than any other SU team in history?

I count 4 - Cooney, Southerland, Triche and MCW. Even the '02-'03 team only had Melo, GMac and Duany (some might include Edelin).
With the way his stroke has looked, you have to include CJ as well. Good point you make

Agree about CJ's stroke. It looks perfect. Just as an aside, when Dion was 7 - 11 from 3 the other night for the Cav's one of the Plain Dealer reporters opined that his stroke does not look great. Sort of fading to the side. Have to agree with that assessment too, although its the ball through the hoop that counts, not the purity of the stroke

do you think cooney or southerland will go off for 5+ first?

If he does hit 5 treys I hope it's on no more than 8 attempts. It will be interesting to see how much of a short leash JB employs with Cooney especially if he starts out cold from the floor.

Unrealistic expectations. He may do it but to expect it multiple times is a high bar. I know guys in the past have done it. Rautins, DNic, GMac, Shumpert. But look at those names and how many minutes were they playing? 30+.

Maybe you're talking during his career though. I just think this year it isn't fair to think a frosh who will average maybe 15mpg is going to do it multiple times.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

To be honest I see teams guarding the perimeter against SU more than in the past, this is where Christmas/Coleman/Fair/Baye HAVE to step up their games inside. MCW and Triche have to penetrate and cause problems to open Cooney up if the big guys can't take their man on and create problems inside. I just don't see Cooney with a quick release or ability to create but hopefully I'm wrong.

If he does hit 5 treys I hope it's on no more than 8 attempts. It will be interesting to see how much of a short leash JB employs with Cooney especially if he starts out cold from the floor.
It probably won't be Cooney's shooting that determines the length of his leash.

It probably won't be Cooney's shooting that determines the length of his leash.
Agree - JB has pulled players for not hustling on D and/or being out of posistion, for both first year players and veterans. I was just wondering what he will do if Cooney starts a game cold from the field. Having Dirty on the bench I would not be surprised if JB gives the youngster an early seat if he is struggling on O.

It'll be interesting to see how Boeheim rotates his guards this year and I really would not be surprised to see Southerland and Fair get more time than Cooney there depending on what type of defense the Orange are facing.

Agree - JB has pulled players for not hustling on D and/or being out of posistion, for both first year players and veterans. I was just wondering what he will do if Cooney starts a game cold from the field. Having Dirty on the bench I would not be surprised if JB gives the youngster an early seat if he is struggling on O.

As much as some people here will clamor for it, I honestly don't think we will see very much of Southy at the 2 in real (1.e. competitive) games. For that matter, I think a lot of people are dreaming if they expect to see Cooney averaging 20-25 minutes per game.

In situations where JB determines that Cooney is not an option, I believe he will simply ride MCW and Triche. JB used the exhibition games (and will use the cupcake games) to determine who his fourth guard will be, but I will be surprised to see him go that deep in the backcourt in a meaningful game. Hell, he essentially only used three guards last season when we were much deeper at the position.

Agree about CJ's stroke. It looks perfect. Just as an aside, when Dion was 7 - 11 from 3 the other night for the Cav's one of the Plain Dealer reporters opined that his stroke does not look great. Sort of fading to the side. Have to agree with that assessment too, although its the ball through the hoop that counts, not the purity of the stroke
His stroke was always iffy here too, hence his streaky-ness. I hope he can keep up his numbers and have a long NBA career because we need some recent players to get that name recognition in the league besides just Melo and Hak

He better do it in the preseason. I'm not expecting many minutes come Big East time.

I hope you're right bill... you did have your fan hat off when you wrote that, right? ;)
It's an assessment I made from his HS films and from watching him during warmups at MSG last year. He's got a very good build, a quick first step and he's an explosive jumper. I haven't been able to check out his dribbling skills yet.

I could be wrong, but he's the young guy I'm most excited about on this team.

Unrealistic expectations. He may do it but to expect it multiple times is a high bar. I know guys in the past have done it. Rautins, DNic, GMac, Shumpert. But look at those names and how many minutes were they playing? 30+.

Maybe you're talking during his career though. I just think this year it isn't fair to think a frosh who will average maybe 15mpg is going to do it multiple times.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Not unrealistic at all, thats his game and strong point, and we have the players where he will be able to get good looks. Its when not if imo.

I just don't see Cooney with a quick release or ability to create but hopefully I'm wrong.
Then you haven't seen him play. The kid's not a JJ Redick that needed others to create his shot. He's athletic, can drive to the hoop and will be very vital to our offense.

I like '96 (Wallace, Cipolla, Janulis, Burgan, Sims). '95 (Jackson, Wallace, Moten, Lloyd) was no slouch, either..

Can't get OrangeHoops.org to load right now, but I bet each of those guys was better than 35%. Maybe not Wallace in '95.

Thanks. I should have posted an example of what "reliable" should be represented by. Maybe 35%, or the 3-point productivity equivalent of what a good inside player's % should be from inside the arc.

One thing I don't often see mentioned about Cooney is that he trained against Dion and Scoop. Now that wouldn't make him just like them automatically, of course. But since they were fairly elite-level, at least TC has an idea of the intensity to prepare for. Not every top recruit has the advantage he had. I'm hoping it's one, anyway, heh.

Having 4 three point threats out there together is a plus.
It will come down to Fair and MCW's ability to knock them down.
Don't think we have had a team with 4 shooters on the perimeter together to run a reliable princeton offense in the last 10 years.

Would work wonders for JB's motion offense, and we got some great passing bigs to help out as well.
Triche and Fair have killer instinct when they get a step on their man.

Thanks. I should have posted an example of what "reliable" should be represented by. Maybe 35%, or the 3-point productivity equivalent of what a good inside player's % should be from inside the arc.

One thing I don't often see mentioned about Cooney is that he trained against Dion and Scoop. Now that wouldn't make him just like them automatically, of course. But since they were fairly elite-level, at least TC has an idea of the intensity to prepare for. Not every top recruit has the advantage he had. I'm hoping it's one, anyway, heh.

Orangehoops is back up (with a whole new face; thanks to whoever maintains that site...always find myself wishing we had something similar for football).

Anyhoo, 35% is a pretty arbitrary number, but I tend to think that guys who surpass that mark are pretty good shooters and wish that most guys who fall below that number should shoot less.

My memory of 1995 was way off, if we're going by 35%. Lloyd shot 32.4%, Moten hit 32.8% (he is pretty overrated as an outside shooter; never made a great percentage), and Wallace only took 14 (made 4 of those). Jackson was as good as I remembered, hitting 37.5%.

Still, that team jibes with the point you were initially making - it had a group of guys who I'd be comfortable with taking a shot with a game on the line (I'm still surprised that Lloyd and Jackson got two clean looks and couldn't beat Arkansas). I haven't seen enough of this year's group, but it looks like we could have several of those players.

(1996 was as good as I remembered: Sims, 36.1%; Burgan, 34.0%; Wallace, 42.1%; Janulis, 41.6%; Cipolla, (surprising) 31.0%. That's a team that can win 5 or 6 in a row in March.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom