Can't wait to see how our young guys handle a true road game | Syracusefan.com

Can't wait to see how our young guys handle a true road game

2-3zone

2nd String
That first true road game vs. a good team is always a crap shoot in my mind especially for a young team.

No Tyler Roberson so BJ Johnson will have to match up vs. bigger players on the glass and at this point I'm not sure he is up for that.

Michigan will attack Rak to get him out of the game, will he pick up those cheap fouls SU can't afford?

Michigan has 4 lethal 3-point shooters (LeVert, Irvin, Walton and Albrecht) can SU's defense limit their long distance shooters?

Will Michigan play that 1-3-1 zone to dare SU to take outside jumpers?

Joseph, Gbinije and Cooney have been turnover machines to start the year, that can't happen @Michigan.

So many questions for a young team going on the road and I can't wait to find out the answers Tuesday night.

I just want to know if we are gonna shoot more than 20% from the arc. If we actually hit some jumpers early, we will be in good shape.

Also are we assured to be without Roberson? He hasn't meant a ton to the team so far, but JB wants him starting for a reason. If nothing else he needs to play and garner experience like everybody else on this young squad

Also are we assured to be without Roberson? He hasn't meant a ton to the team so far, but JB wants him starting for a reason. If nothing else he needs to play and garner experience like everybody else on this young squad
His presence adds muscle and depth. That said, B.J. has better rebounding stats than Roberson.

His presence adds muscle and depth. That said, B.J. has better rebounding stats than Roberson.
Which is kind of my point. BJ has out played Roberson so far (albeit in a minimal sample size) at what he does best, rebounding.

That said Roberson should be the better player this year at its end if he gets some experience early on.

We need both to have the type of year we are all praying we will though

It will be a great learning experience that will help prepare our young team for what's to come down the road.

2-3zone said:
That first true road game vs. a good team is always a crap shoot in my mind especially for a young team. No Tyler Roberson so BJ Johnson will have to match up vs. bigger players on the glass and at this point I'm not sure he is up for that. Michigan will attack Rak to get him out of the game, will he pick up those cheap fouls SU can't afford? Michigan has 4 lethal 3-point shooters (LeVert, Irvin, Walton and Albrecht) can SU's defense limit their long distance shooters? Will Michigan play that 1-3-1 zone to dare SU to take outside jumpers? Joseph, Gbinije and Cooney have been turnover machines to start the year, that can't happen @Michigan. So many questions for a young team going on the road and I can't wait to find out the answers Tuesday night.

Joseph and CMac lead the team in turnovers by a wide margin.

Giving too much of an edge to BJ is fools gold. Remember that Roberson has been hurt and was playing at less than his capability. He is a solid rebounder and talent level as good or above BJ.

Can't worry about their first true road game.
Their response couldn't be worse than it was for their first home road game at MSG.

realorange said:
Giving too much of an edge to BJ is fools gold. Remember that Roberson has been hurt and was playing at less than his capability. He is a solid rebounder and talent level as good or above BJ.

When was Roberson hurt? Since the beginning of last year. He's just as much fools gold as BJ.

Three point shooting be darned! Well, to a certain extent. I don't see us all of a sudden making 50% or something near that. No harm in keeping the ball going inside to our bigs who are our best scorers so far. Chris Mc has also proven he can hit those mid rangers at around 12-15 feet. Making three pointers would be nice, but I think we take too many considering who we have and how we've been doing with them. I like what I see in Cooney when he drives the baseline as he can go off the glass with a shot or dish to one of the bigs. Good option since his long range shooting is off right now.

I think we have to improve our defensive rebounding, improve our three point defense and take advantage of our inside offense in order to beat Michigan.

I believe our defense will keep it close, but unless things improve in a few areas I'm afraid this is a game we will come out second best. I will certainly "eat crow" if we can beat this decent, ranked team on the road. I'm obviously hoping we do.

Can't worry about their first true road game.
Their response couldn't be worse than it was for their first home road game at MSG.

I'd have to say it's a possibility, and not necessarily that remote of one. I'd buckle up just in case.

If Michigan shoots as bad as we do, we'll have a chance. Otherwise, I'm afraid this is going to end up a 15+ point pasting.

I expect to see a ton of the 1-3-1 and some press. It could be ugly if the kids don't grow up quickly.

The 1-3-1 will also allow SU some easy penetration and lobs to the opposite block. When Beilin was at WVU, we crushed his zone. BJ is fools gold against small scho0ls. When we start playing bigger and more physical teams, we will need Roberson.

That said Roberson should be the better player this year at its end if he gets some experience early on.

I have seen nothing to tell me Roberson would be better than BJ. I think BJ has a much more well rounded game and if the shot comes around...watch out!

I too think BJ has pretty good skills, but his slender body is going to really work against him once we play better schools and get into conference play. Michigan will be his first real test. He crapped the bed against Cal. and didn't even see the floor against Iowa.

hoopsupstate said:
I too think BJ has pretty good skills, but his slender body is going to really work against him once we play better schools and get into conference play. Michigan will be his first real test. He crapped the bed against Cal. and didn't even see the floor against Iowa.

Slender body and skill > ripped body and not showing any sort of skill

Michigan might be without their starting point guard.

Can't say I'm super confident. Hoping for the best.

Syracuse doesn't play road games before conference play.

Mike Hart went to Michigan. Mike Hart's from Syracuse. Home game.

Syracuse doesn't play road games before conference play.

Mike Hart went to Michigan. Mike Hart's from Syracuse. Home game.
Transitive property = win.

Chris McCollough - 71
Chris Webber - 69

You're on fire tonight, and I'd like to see more! I can't speak for everyone, but I'm enjoying your multiple versions. Heck, to be honest seeing any new posts at this hour is cool this season. The night crew are like the anchors in a relay race.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom