Can't wait... | Syracusefan.com

Can't wait...

kyleslamb

Scout Team
Very excited to see this game. Been hoping since the brackets were announced this game would hold out. Contrary to the mainstream media, Florida State and Vanderbilt seemed like trendy picks that would fall early. They did.

Now, the real big dogs are out of their cages.

First, let me say how impressed I was by Syracuse this evening. I thought Wisconsin did a nice job getting over screens, but the ability to penetrate single-handedly won the game for the Orange. Specifically, the job by Fair, Waiters and Jardine off the bounce overcame Wisconsin's surreal barrage of 3-point shooting. That Wisconsin team doesn't usually shoot like that, but that's the type of game they play. It's always a chore to beat them. That Syracuse withstood that effort was impressive.

Saturday will be an interesting dichotomy. Ohio State is one of the best, sound man defenses in the country -- if not the best. They don't block shots like Kentucky, but they have quick feet, active hands and will really get in your grill defensively. There will be some unbelievable match-ups on both sides of the ball with Craft-Jardine, Sullinger-Christmas, Buford-Waiters, etc. Ohio State will have its work cut out for it because of the screens on the wing, and must cut off penetration before needing to help off. That's what Wisconsin got in trouble with tonight, as the help came too late and too deep.

On the other side of the ball, Ohio State moves the ball really well against a zone as we saw tonight in the first half against Cincinnati. I get why Mick Cronin played it, but I think he did Ohio State a favor staying in the zone for the entire half. The Buckeyes are capable of beating a zone, but obviously Syracuse' zone is much longer and more active and will play higher on the perimeter. OSU's biggest key is to get Thomas in the middle of the FT line extended and let him work inside-out.

Very excited, as I said. I think Syracuse is showing it's still an offensive force without Melo. Perhaps the defense is a bit more suspect without him in a game like this, but it will be a battle to the finish.

i think we could see kst rak instead of tonights rak. his ability to be quick off his feet and oh st not having a major height advantage will help us. cj and kris should do well in this game using their quickness to draw fouls. if oh st plays mtm i think we will see a similar offensive approach to what we saw tonight in our ability to let our wings and guards take their man off the dribble. the lack of a shot blocker really is going to help us offensively. it should be a war but i think if we are active we have a better chance to get some seperation from oh st.

i think we could see kst rak instead of tonights rak. his ability to be quick off his feet and oh st not having a major height advantage will help us. cj and kris should do well in this game using their quickness to draw fouls. if oh st plays mtm i think we will see a similar offensive approach to what we saw tonight in our ability to let our wings and guards take their man off the dribble. the lack of a shot blocker really is going to help us offensively. it should be a war but i think if we are active we have a better chance to get some seperation from oh st.

I think Syracuse needs to look at trying to get some scoring off the pick-and-roll, as that's been Ohio State's Achilles Heel all season. OSU does a tremendous job denying penetration at the point of attack and help off really well when they do. They're not as good on the rolls off screens, though.

I think it will be a great game. We might have trouble guarding sullinger though. I think he would be the best post player we've seen all year and it's without fab defensively. If Thomas starts hitting shots early it might be a long night.

The good thing is that they should have trouble guarding out players too (except Craft..great defender). It will be a fun game to watch.

Get Sullinger in foul trouble. Have to attack the rim and get him 2 early.

Craft vs. Dion will be one of the best matchups in the nation the entire season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom