Canvassing in Dewitt | Syracusefan.com

Canvassing in Dewitt

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
My daughter does canvassing for an environmental org. They generally hit more affluent neighborhoods in Upstate NY. She walked up to a house and she was very surprised to have Dino Babers open the door. He could not donate ( I believe something to do with University compliance ) but was extremely gracious to my daughter as was Dino's daughter. I got a signed poster from my daughter out of the deal. Nice to know the personable guy you see on TV is the same in real life.
oops please move to football board

My daughter does canvassing for an environmental org. They generally hit more affluent neighborhoods in Upstate NY. She walked up to a house and she was very surprised to have Dino Babers open the door. He could not donate ( I believe something to do with University compliance ) but was extremely gracious to my daughter as was Dino's daughter. I got a signed poster from my daughter out of the deal. Nice to know the personable guy you see on TV is the same in real life.
oops please move to football board

Thats awesome!!

Also - I am going to use my work compliance as an excuse from here on out.
Also - I would love to hear the story of how the poster came into play? Did she bring a poster just in case? Did he offer it when he found out you were a fan? I am leaning towards to latter - and picturing him having about 100 posters stacked up neatly along with a variety of sharpies on his dining room table just waiting for fans ringing the doorbell.

Thats awesome!!

Also - I am going to use my work compliance as an excuse from here on out.
Also - I would love to hear the story of how the poster came into play? Did she bring a poster just in case? Did he offer it when he found out you were a fan? I am leaning towards to latter - and picturing him having about 100 posters stacked up neatly along with a variety of sharpies on his dining room table just waiting for fans ringing the doorbell.
My daughter started to walk away because she wanted to be respectful ( she had told him her Dad was a huge fan) he called after her and asked if she wanted an autograph at which point his daughter said to him " Dad get her one of the posters" His daughter also signed a petition that she was circulating.

I saw a picture a few years back of Sandusky's house. It looked almost identical to the one I grew up in in DeWitt. Scared the shiitake mushrooms right out of me. Sorry, not meant to derail. Carry on.

Nice story, like to hear this kind of thing.

I heard of something kind of similar a while back. We were helping at a big event near the university and another volunteer was managing an intersection that was closed to vehicles (specifically Skytop and East Colvin). Dino drove up, said his good morning, and then said, pointing, 'I work in that building over there. Would it be OK if I drive over there?' Not "that's my office" or any of the more confrontational things that could have crossed his mind. But 'I work in that building over there.' Thought that was a really humble wording, and the volunteer said he couldn't have been nicer.

It's also a huge improvement from one of his predecessors who I'd rather not name who had the same situation with a different volunteer at that intersection a few years ago. His words were different: a foaming-at-the-mouth "Do you know who I am?!" rant.

So this Dino...he really seems like good people.

Last edited: