Car reviews | Syracusefan.com

Car reviews

I was looking at an equinox as well.

I have a Subaru Forester (I'm on my second one). I couldn't really be happier with it. Very reliable, good in the snow, good gas mileage. Wonderful value for the money IMHO. The only real complaint is that if you're looking for a "fun", peppy car, then the Forester isn't really it.

I have a Subaru Forester (I'm on my second one). I couldn't really be happier with it. Very reliable, good in the snow, good gas mileage. Wonderful value for the money IMHO. The only real complaint is that if you're looking for a "fun", peppy car, then the Forester isn't really it.
Just got wife a Forester Not sure I want 2. Plus, I have had 3 Impalas, all of which I am really happy with. Almost can't kill them.

I used to be a big Chevy fan, now it's Subaru, or Toyota (maybe Nissan - but that's due to outside reasons)

It may be a bit small for you, but we got my wife a Crosstrek in the fall. A really great value for a car IMHO

In our second Escape. No problems with either one. Took the first on a cross country trip 2 years ago.

Doing some more research
Equinox currently 72 months 0.00% financing
Subaru Outback 36 months 0.00% financing
Choices

I loved my Ford Broncos and Explorers. My 1999 Explorer is still on the road with a different owner up North.

No comparison between an Outback, and an Equinox, imo. Or the brands themselves for that matter.

Its not the end all be all, but in the latest CR, Subaru is THE top car brand in the latest rankings.

No comparison between an Outback, and an Equinox, imo. Or the brands themselves for that matter.

Its not the end all be all, but in the latest CR, Subaru is THE top car brand in the latest rankings.

The two aren’t comparable in regards to value retention either. Which coincides with brand rankings. The Equinix has historically not done super well holding its value compared to other vehicles in its class.

Just bought a 2018 Tucson AWD limited. Really peppy 2.0 turbo. Heated leather, Android Auto, in dash gps, push button start, free bluelink for 3 years (gives you email updates on engine diagnostics, and allows you to use your phone as a starter with unlimited range), phone sync, dual zone climate control, 19" wheels...too many options to list for $26,500. Stickers at about 33,000, but the 19's just came in, and they're moving the 18's.

Hyundai introduced it's insane warranty in 2000 after they stepped up their game. I've bought nothing buy Hyundai since then, with literally ZERO issues ever other than normal wear and tear stuff.
Image result for 2018 tucson limited

Image result for 2018 hyundai tucson limited interior

Hyundai has come a long way since the Pony.

Image result for hyundai pony

Last edited:
FWIW, I rent cars like it's my job, and have driven a bunch of these fairly recently. So, take this all with a grain of salt, as I own none of them:

Subaru - My friends and I always made fun of Subarus, and Subaru people, but I will say, that Forester drives like an dream. The layout inside is perfect to me in the sense that everything was easy to use, reachable, not very distracting.

Hyundai - In general, I get these as rentals a lot - and half the time I hate the way they drive, half the time love it. That being said, the Tucson is great, that and the upper end Sedan (whatever it's called is great), the rest of them I disliked. Especially the Kona. That thing was a miserable POS - I don't care if it's the highest rated subcompact SUV, it was god awful. It kind of looks cool though at that price.

Kia Sportage - I'm with Bees. These are nice. I never thought I would like Kia's, but I really do.

Ford Escape - My Dad has a 2017, inside felt cheap to me, but drove well. He liked it. It was okay, but was kind of boring.

That's all I got! I know a couple people with Equinox's and they like them.

I also rent a lot of cars. I got a Jeep compass a week or so ago.

Trash. Uncomfortable seats, poor visibility, awful gas mileage.

Honda HRV.
It's in between a CRV and a Fit... sort of like a Fit on steroids.
4 door (rear seats fold down), AWD (great in snow), 35+ MPG. CVT transmission.
Totally reliable, but has no soul, if you know what I mean.

I also rent a lot of cars. I got a Jeep compass a week or so ago.

Trash. Uncomfortable seats, poor visibility, awful gas mileage.

Do you ever get a Honda as a rental? Does Honda not rent cars? I just thought of that when I saw JoeSU's post...I don't think I've ever had one.

WE have just purchased a Forester and an Equinox. Like them both, a lot. Great rides. Good features.

Honda
Do you ever get a Honda as a rental? Does Honda not rent cars? I just thought of that when I saw JoeSU's post...I don't think I've ever had one.
Honda does not really sell into fleet very much. For years many OEM’s have used rental companies and fleet companies to drive volume. This comes in two forms which in one case they sell the car outright at a discounted rate, which had become less and less favorable to the rental company as time goes by. The other situation they have the manufacturer sells it with the intent in buying it back at a pre negotiated term.

Honda has stayed out of this for the most part to maintain brand quality. Think of the Chevy Malibu or Ford Taurus. They were two strong cars but became known as rental cars. Others limit how many they sell into fleet for similar reasons but are more willing to do it.

i have outback and a crv.. outback is 100x better in the snow. I went the imprezza for another lease and its good in snow too and drives great on highway

Bumping this back up. Son just bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. Really sweet ride and very roomy inside for a compact SUV. Lots of extras. Car and Driver rated it #1 for a compact SUV.

Bumping this back up. Son just bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. Really sweet ride and very roomy inside for a compact SUV. Lots of extras. Car and Driver rated it #1 for a compact SUV.

The CX-5 and the CRV were 2 of the finalists for replacing my wife's 2014 Suby Forester.

We test drove the '18 Forester, and hated it - since it wasn't any better than what she already had.

The CX-5 felt very peppy and sporty, nice interior, but much smaller cargo area, and the worst gas mileage of the lot.

CRV was middle of the road - very good at pretty much everything, great at nothing.
You know, a Honda. Didn't love the visibility tho.

Then the 2019 Forester came in, and we test drove that - nirvana!!
The addressed all of the issues the prior iteration had, plus peppier, tighter handling, and more comfy and refined interior.
It's a great car, we've been very happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom