Carey was better than Girard last night | Syracusefan.com

Carey was better than Girard last night

Girard looked pretty heady at times, but also chucked up some really bad shots.

I think our ceiling is really low if we can't get a whole lot more from Carey. I still believe that if he can make a couple of plays that feel easy he'll turn the corner and settle in.

Girard looked pretty heady at times, but also chucked up some really bad shots.

I think our ceiling is really low if we can't get a whole lot more from Carey. I still believe that if he can make a couple of plays that feel easy he'll turn the corner and settle in.
yeah I mean I might give JG the slight nod on offense last night (both were bad) but Jalen is just so much better defensively right now

Girard had that one good pass for an easy basket out of a double team. It was fascinating to see an assist.

I thought Carey was better at making things happen, just wish he would cool it with outside shots.
Our team passing has been mediocre at best for years. JB and the coaching squad must not put any emphasis on passing in practice other then passing along the 3 point line back and fourth just hoping a defender decides to take the play off and not put much effort into staying in front...

Btw... How does our screens consistently turn into nothing... I've watched a lot of basketball but most teams now how to play a pick and roll. Are we trying to actually screen the player or just make it look like it?

Btw... How does our screens consistently turn into nothing... I've watched a lot of basketball but most teams now how to play a pick and roll. Are we trying to actually screen the player or just make it look like it?

Personally, I blame this one on two things. 1. The defender typically knows it's coming, so they move appropriately out of the way or around it. 2. The guards don't use the pick the right way, forcing our bigs to move instead of setting and letting the guard run his man off the big.

In the first half Carey hit the top of the backboard, missed both FTs, missed a layup(off a nice offensive board, to be fair), and we had barely scored despite him being out there for awhile.

Girard came in and it seems his presence helped stretch the defense right away as Virginia was very aware that he was a shooter. He turned that into a nice assist early on. He got the bounce on a 3. And the offense flowed the best it flowed all game while he was in there for that stretch. I think Girard was way better in the first half.

second half, yeah. He was blanketed and didn’t do much, and we were dead in the water. I don’t know. The only player I felt positive about last night was Edwards when he got in there at the end. Everybody else stunk.

one thing Carey and Girard have in common?

they both are playing 3 on 5 on offense when Marek and Sidibe are in.

In my observations last night while watching Carey, his problem to me is his bottom half, legs and feet, going to fast. He almost seems like he’s running in place and his upper half plays a bit slower. Hard to describe but he needs to slow down a bit. And I don’t mean when running or sprinting down court. While he’s handling the ball and/or going inside.

These are young men. It’s early. Our m o has been slow starts. Let’s wait and give them a chance

The weaknesses Carey has is kind of the most important skills for a PG. He can’t shoot FT’s and his best skill is going to the basket. He also is not good at setting guys up or using screens. Now Girard and Goodine are far from perfect, but they both can shoot and Girard at least appears to know how to pass and use screens.

2. The guards don't use the pick the right way, forcing our bigs to move instead of setting and letting the guard run his man off the big.
Dead on.

It still blows my mind how much action we run that ends with a player receiving the ball ON THE PERIMETER with their back to the basket.

Triple threat position is freaking peewee ball kind of stuff.

But, nah. Not how our guys need to receive the ball.

Both were pretty bad and don't really look ready to be a lead guard.

Carey can't shoot, doesn't have a particularly strong handle and is more turnover prone than you'd like.
Girard is small, not as quick and probably will struggle getting good looks. His handle is pretty good, but he sure looks like the type that will do a whole lot of dribbling that accomplishes very little.

Both (or at least one) have to be significantly better if we are to sniff a tourney bid.

Girard was better in the first half leading the team (ie the team finally made some wide open shots). In the second half the team did better with Carey playing and stat wise Carey was better almost everywhere especially defensively and rebounding.
My question why are people arguing between the two of them. They should be arguing Girard and baby b. Baby b gives the team nothing on d and only random streaks on offense. Play Carey and Girard. You get the slasher and a real shooter. They would benefit each other You can’t collapse on Carey with a real shooter and you have to help prevent Carey drives leaving Girard open.

I was kind of grossed out when the crowd cheered for Girard entering the game.
We played not 10 minutes before the “he should transfer” posts for Carey.

Personally, I blame this one on two things. 1. The defender typically knows it's coming, so they move appropriately out of the way or around it. 2. The guards don't use the pick the right way, forcing our bigs to move instead of setting and letting the guard run his man off the big.
I'm not sure that is what is happening. All well coached teams are taught to hard hedge ball screens, and many teams will trap ball screens. In the hedge, the guy defending the big is stepping away from the man setting the screen and moving directly at the guard with the ball. The on ball defender fights over the top of the screen. Everybody plays it this way. Our problem here is that our bigs almost always are trying to set slip screens and, even worse, often don't even make contact with the defender. They don't pin and roll, they simple slide toward the basket as the guard approaches. This almost always results in a double team on the guard, who either picks up his dribble (this is what the D wants to happen) or the guard drifts along the perimeter and out of the flow of the play.

I feel it’s the 2nd one mostly as well as our guards not being aggressive and driving when they jump the guard with the double on the screen. You need to be aggressive a split the double or bass it over the top to the big guy. Marek did this like 4 times where he slipped and got a good look or kicked it for some good movement. We just didn’t go back to it which was quite frustrating

I was kind of grossed out when the crowd cheered for Girard entering the game.

Ive been in town for less than 2 weeks and the casual fans I speak to act as if he was a top 10 recruit and is a one and done player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom