Carey was better than Girard last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carey was better than Girard last night

In my observations last night while watching Carey, his problem to me is his bottom half, legs and feet, going to fast. He almost seems like he’s running in place and his upper half plays a bit slower. Hard to describe but he needs to slow down a bit. And I don’t mean when running or sprinting down court. While he’s handling the ball and/or going inside.
Listen... nobody wants to say it. Some players have it, and some don't. At this point Carey chokes during games and doesnt have it. Maybe never will. Dude doesn't look good or comfortable out there.

We played not 10 minutes before the “he should transfer” posts for Carey.

I really like the story of Joe and it looked like he can play (anyfrosh would struggle against UVA) but I’ve seen Jalen put up 20, seen him drive, seen the D and so has JB. I don’t know if there is answer for PG (I like that Howard is a pure PG and Goodine is intriguing) so I hope the Dome Denizens support Jalen - I’m guessing he will slow down and succeed if given the chance

Listen... nobody wants to say it. Some players have it, and some don't. At this point Carey chokes during games and doesnt have it. Maybe never will. Dude doesn't look good or comfortable out there.

Carey hasn’t played enough to say he chokes. It takes time to settle in. That may be what he needs- more time.

This is like saying a kick in the balls is better than a punch in the balls. At the end of the day they both hurt.

Neither played well but I will give the freshman the benefit of the doubt with first game nerves/jitters.

Carey needs structure. He’s not a floor general. Call more plays when he’s on the court and let his athleticism and size win the matchup instead of leaving it up to him to try to create something out of nothing.

call plays??? We would have to have those as part
Of our system for that to happen.

Any sort of offensive plays have been gone for years, we are now nothing but a school yard launching 3s approach Offense

one thing Carey and Girard have in common?

they both are playing 3 on 5 on offense when Marek and Sidibe are in.
It’s crazy because that was exactly the critique of the team in 2017-18 when our offense relied almost solely on Battle, Howard and Oshae. Marek started becoming an offensive force, who could hit mid range shots and make all the hustle plays, by the end of ACC play and the post-season, which is partly why we were able to go on a post-season run and upset Michigan State. But he seems to have regressed since then. I thought this could be a breakout season for him. Hoping that’s still the case.

The thing that scares me about Girard is that his perimeter shot is more of a set shot than jump shot. People compare him to GMac but at the same age Gerry could get his shot off rather easily because he had really, really good elevation off the ground before his release. Girard gets like 5” off the ground when he’s shooting from 22 feet out. This is gonna be a HUGE problem if he can’t turn his perimeter shot into a true jump shot.

Personally, I blame this one on two things. 1. The defender typically knows it's coming, so they move appropriately out of the way or around it. 2. The guards don't use the pick the right way, forcing our bigs to move instead of setting and letting the guard run his man off the big.
If you're screening properly, you either force a switch for a mismatch, or the defender has to cover more ground to keep up. The only thing we seem to get from it is a double on the ball and the screener slowly drifting away. Also, it shouldn't just be a two man play. There are a lot of things you can do. For example, you can run a cutter from the wing simultaneous to the screen. If the screen works correctly, as described above, there are 3 options: drive, pick and roll, or pass to the cutter. If it doesn't work, you pull it out and try something else.
Everyone should have something to do besides spectate when they don't have the ball.

We will win a few games if the guys get hot. Im thinking 6-7

I think JB will figure out a way to win a few more league games than that. We have 20 this year, after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom