Carl Eilenberg RIP | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carl Eilenberg RIP

I recall this too. Almost positive it was against WVU.
It was WVU, during SU's national championship season. We played m-2-m, and completely over-matched Pittsnogle's first team. I think JB went ballistic because he thought Beilein was being embarrassed.

In Carl's defense, he was likely just reading a note that was put in front of him.

I remember him at Channel 9.

He did sports and a local high school quiz show "It's Academic."

I did not realize just how accomplished he was - a life well-lived!

As a professional I got to sit at the Dome scorer's table twice. The first time, Carl came over to me well before the game started, cheerful as could be, gave a firm handshake, and went over the spelling and pronunciation of my name (understand, mind you, that there was no circumstance in which he'd be saying my name over the PA that night).

The next season I came back, he naturally came over with a handshake and chat, and remembered my name from 12 months before.

Now Carl was essentially a hero in my book long prior to this -- he's the voice of the Dome as far as I'm concerned -- but those interactions with him really solidified that. A thoroughly decent guy in addition to being the soundtrack of three decades of amazing basketball.

“Jooooooohn Wallace!”

I can still hear it.

"From Morgan City, Loooosiana..."

Total brain-burn with dozens of Carl's pronunciations over the years.

RIP Carl. I had the utmost respect for Carl. I had an uncle who after WWII, settled in Rome and worked at the air base for 35 years. After he retired, he remained in Rome. My uncle became an amputee (lost a leg) and a recluse. Carl befriended my uncle (never married) throughout his final years, visiting him often. Meant so much to my uncle. So kind of Carl.

It was during intros. I thought Forth was going to kill him.

Carl was great. The best. Stayed probably 3-4 years too long, but he earned it.

His intros during the 80s are burned into my head.

A Syracuse legend, no doubt!

I don't know if you should say "stayed too long" in an obit thread???

I was actually on the Channel 9 Romper Room show with "Miss Joan."

I was also on the Baron Damone Show - the Birthday Spaceship.

That was the end of my show business career!

You were on Baron Damone's show? Props and respect.

I was a member of The Baron's Bloody Buddy Fan Club but being on the show with the Baron would have made my childhood. I was in the presence of The Baron once when he was at Shoppingtown, but it was very short.

I can still hear his voice:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean,
So betwixt them both, they starved to death
And turned a sickly green
Bwahaahaaa

My brother used to have two very old wagon wheels at the end of his driveway with rose bushes climbing on them. About ten years ago, I noticed that one was missing and asked what happened to it. He replied "oh, Baron Damone's kid hit it with his car."

I told him "only someone from Syracuse would understand why that's funny."

Last edited:
You were on Baron Damone's show? Props and respect.

I was a member of The Baron's Bloody Buddy Fan Club but being on the show with the Baron would have made my childhood. I was in the presence of The Baron once when he was at Shoppingtown, but it was very short.

I can still hear his voice:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean,
So betwixt them both, they starved to death
And turned a sickly green
Bwahaahaaa

My brother used to have two very old wagon wheels at the end of his driveway with rose bushes climbing on them. About ten years ago, I noticed that one was missing and asked what happened to it. He replied "oh, Baron Damone's kid hit it with his car."

I told him "only someone from Syracuse would understand why that's funny."
Great stuff!

Mike Price was a great performer.