Carleton Ravens game preview: Friday, August 23 | Syracusefan.com

Carleton Ravens game preview: Friday, August 23

TheSaltman9

Walk On
I just got back from the Carleton-Wisconsin game and have to say that this may be the best Carleton team of all time (and they have won 8 of the last 10 Canadian University Championships). They beat the Badgers 93-79 in a game that wasn't even that close (they led the majority of the second half by 20+ points).Phil Scrubb (PG) is a Sr. who is a two time defending National Player of the Year- he put up 30 points against consistent double teams from the Badgers. Thomas Scrubb, his brother is an all-Canadian talent in his own right. Tyler Hinz, their post is only 6'7 but plays a Matt Bonner-like game and was Canadian National Player of the Year three years ago before Phil burst onto the scene. They rotate 10 players or so all of whom can stroke from beyond the arc. Off-topic, but had to mention how impressive Sam Dekker from Wisconsin was tonight- there are no players like him in the Canadian University circuit and he was lethal from inside and out.

This game won't be a cakewalk for Syracuse, but their size and athleticism should be a tough matchup for the Ravens. As a lifelong SU fan but also a lifelong Ottawa resident, I am thoroughly torn on who to cheer for here! If I were a bookie, I'd set the spread at SU -10. If you're sitting on the fence as to whether or not to make the three hour trip I would recommend it as this should be a competitive matchup.

Lastly, if you're looking for suggestions for things to do in Ottawa, don't hesitate to ask!

LET'S GO ORANGE!

P.S.- Here's a link to the Wisconsin game recap:http://goravens.carleton.ca/mens-basketball-news/ravens-roll-over-badgers/

Carleton also beat TCU by about 20 about a week ago. This is a game we could easily lose.

Will be a GREAT test / measuring stick for our young squad!
It really will be. Carleton starts 4 Sr's who play together year-round (no NCAA to monitor summer practices) and their best two players are brothers.

Last thing that I wanted to add is that Ottawa is a very pro-Syracuse town. I've gone to hoops and football games with at least 40 friends from here along the way. Behind Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal NHL teams and the Blue Jays, more SU gear is worn in Ottawa than any other team I would venture to guess.

wonderful- no harm in getting a real challenge and even enduring a loss at this point. out of curiosity does carleton play a really up tempo style? cant remember wisky playing in a 93-79 game .. ever although im sure its happened- thats a major credit to carleton to speed up a o ryan squad!!

I just got back from the Carleton-Wisconsin game and have to say that this may be the best Carleton team of all time (and they have won 8 of the last 10 Canadian University Championships). They beat the Badgers 93-79 in a game that wasn't even that close (they led the majority of the second half by 20+ points).Phil Scrubb (PG) is a Sr. who is a two time defending National Player of the Year- he put up 30 points against consistent double teams from the Badgers. Thomas Scrubb, his brother is an all-Canadian talent in his own right. Tyler Hinz, their post is only 6'7 but plays a Matt Bonner-like game and was Canadian National Player of the Year three years ago before Phil burst onto the scene. They rotate 10 players or so all of whom can stroke from beyond the arc. Off-topic, but had to mention how impressive Sam Dekker from Wisconsin was tonight- there are no players like him in the Canadian University circuit and he was lethal from inside and out.

This game won't be a cakewalk for Syracuse, but their size and athleticism should be a tough matchup for the Ravens. As a lifelong SU fan but also a lifelong Ottawa resident, I am thoroughly torn on who to cheer for here! If I were a bookie, I'd set the spread at SU -10. If you're sitting on the fence as to whether or not to make the three hour trip I would recommend it as this should be a competitive matchup.

Lastly, if you're looking for suggestions for things to do in Ottawa, don't hesitate to ask!

LET'S GO ORANGE!

P.S.- Here's a link to the Wisconsin game recap:http://goravens.carleton.ca/mens-basketball-news/ravens-roll-over-badgers/

I think if CJ is held out, we have little chance to win this one.

Will be very interested in the makeup of the crowd, and who brings more fans to the game.

Do you have a recommendation for a place for SU fans to meet before the game? Preferably a place that is kid friendly?

Good points in your preview. Yes, Wisconsin is no pushover team and I salute Carleton for the win. I'm really looking forward to this game. My son and I will be in section 208. Could be interesting as my son graduated from Carleton about 11 years ago and I'm obviously a huge Orange fan.

Sounds like their backcourt is just a couple of scrubbs, though.

The advantage of Syracuse playing with a 24 clock and the disadvantage of Wisconsin playing with a 24 clock is immeasurable. Regardless, a test this early is beyond valuable.

So, is every Orange game going to have a 30 second clock, or is Carleton and the others going to have a 24 second clock?

Sounds like their backcourt is just a couple of scrubbs, though.

The advantage of Syracuse playing with a 24 clock and the disadvantage of Wisconsin playing with a 24 clock is immeasurable. Regardless, a test this early is beyond valuable.

So, is every Orange game going to have a 30 second clock, or is Carleton and the others going to have a 24 second clock?

Agreed. 8 less seconds for the opposing teams against the zone is almost unfair.

The Canadian Tire Centre was built in Kanata away from most major restauraunts and the downtown core, and offers a few restaurants in house. I prefer going to Bert's, but would rate it a 7 out of 10.
If you arrive around 4:00 PM to gather, I would recommend one of the Lone Star ( http://www.lonestartexasgrill.com/Locations?LID=5 ) or even better, the Crazy Horse ( www.thecrazyhorse.ca ). My kids are 4, 2 and 2 weeks old and I wouldn't hesitate to bring them to either and the food/atmosphere would be far superior to what you'd get in the arena.
Post game, if you're heading downtown to the Byward Market (with no kids), you should try the Real Sports Bar- by far and away the best sports bar in the region with great food, to boot.

Carleton plays a very up-tempo game and push at every chance. Phil Scrubb has the full trust of the coaching staff to move the ball up as quickly as possible but within control.

They played 2x 20 minute halfs with a 24 second shot clock and international rules. I'm not sure if it will be the same for the SU game, but would venture to guess that it will be. Of note and unreported they played an additional 10 minute "game" at the end of regulation for their reserves that seemed to be a spur of the moment decision between Bo Ryan and Rob Smart (Dave Smart, Carleton's HC is away ..coaching the National Team right now).

I'm very curious about the crowd composition as well. Despite absolutely dominating CIS basketball the past 10 years CU basketball only draws enough to fill a 1,500 seat gym (wow, that is embarrassing to type). I went to UT Martin, in the OVC and as a run of the mill team in that conference we tripled that attendance figure.

Lastly, you may wonder why players choose to play for CU instead of heading to mid-major NCAA schools. Dave Smart (who won't be there tomorrow) is known as a basketball genius and his players run through walls for him and are often rewarded with contracts to European leagues after their eligibility. They don't get Tyler Ennis, but they would typically get the 3rd or 4th ranked PG in the country.

Carleton plays a very up-tempo game and push at every chance. Phil Scrubb has the full trust of the coaching staff to move the ball up as quickly as possible but within control.

They played 2x 20 minute halfs with a 24 second shot clock and international rules. I'm not sure if it will be the same for the SU game, but would venture to guess that it will be. Of note and unreported they played an additional 10 minute "game" at the end of regulation for their reserves that seemed to be a spur of the moment decision between Bo Ryan and Rob Smart (Dave Smart, Carleton's HC is away ..coaching the National Team right now).

I'm very curious about the crowd composition as well. Despite absolutely dominating CIS basketball the past 10 years CU basketball only draws enough to fill a 1,500 seat gym (wow, that is embarrassing to type). I went to UT Martin, in the OVC and as a run of the mill team in that conference we tripled that attendance figure.

Lastly, you may wonder why players choose to play for CU instead of heading to mid-major NCAA schools. Dave Smart (who won't be there tomorrow) is known as a basketball genius and his players run through walls for him and are often rewarded with contracts to European leagues after their eligibility. They don't get Tyler Ennis, but they would typically get the 3rd or 4th ranked PG in the country.

Thanks for all of the background info on their program. I had absolutely no idea. Sounds like this could be an uphill battle if CJ is out, as Tomcat mentioned.

For anyone who has never been to Ottawa, it's a really nice city.

Do they still have that market area downtown with all kinds of small retailers selling great ethnic grocery and meat items? Last time I was there was the late 70's.

For anyone who has never been to Ottawa, it's a really nice city.

Do they still have that market area downtown with all kinds of small retailers selling great ethnic grocery and meat items? Last time I was there was the late 70's.
Absolutely. It's called the Byward Market and is located on George St ( www.byward-market.com/ ) If you haven't been to Ottawa, or it's been years it is definitely a must-see.

Tom,Tom, Tom, you're better than this. :)

If you want to say "if CJ doesn't play we're only slight favorites" I buy that. But Vegas just did a belly laugh with your "very little chance to win" thoughts.

Will be very interested in the makeup of the crowd, and who brings more fans to the game.

Do you have a recommendation for a place for SU fans to meet before the game? Preferably a place that is kid friendly?

This is a terrible post. Sounds like the same crap we heard last year (not from Tomcat) about not being a talented enough team to win, despite starting two burger boys, a rising star, a four year starter, and being longer and more athletic then any team we played.

With all due respect to Carleton, my guess is there isnt a scholarship player on Syracuse that couldnt walk into their starting five. Upsets happen all the time, but to suggest "we have little chance to win this one," is patently absurd. Oh Lord

Hey, they just beat Wiscy and lost to Louisville last year by 1. Could have been called the game of two national champs cause that's how they both ended up.

Not to be taken lightly.

Tom,Tom, Tom, you're better than this. :)

If you want to say "if CJ doesn't play we're only slight favorites" I buy that. But Vegas just did a belly laugh with your "very little chance to win" thoughts.
Without any inside info I would expect CJ to play. Based on how these barnstorming tours go, I didn't expect CJ to play much or at all against Bishop's. I think JB knew it wouldn't be close so give him an extra day to rest and be more ready against Carleton.

I think Cuse wins going away.

This is a terrible post. Sounds like the same crap we heard last year (not from Tomcat) about not being a talented enough team to win, despite starting two burger boys, a rising star, a four year starter, and being longer and more athletic then any team we played.

With all due respect to Carleton, my guess is there isnt a scholarship player on Syracuse that couldnt walk into their starting five. Upsets happen all the time, but to suggest "we have little chance to win this one," is patently absurd. Oh Lord

I think the point is that they return a stable team of guys that know how to play together effectively, while we're returning only a handful of players, have several others stepping into more prominent roles, and also have a number of frosh. There is no doubt in my mind that CJ and Grant will give them trouble, but us being out of sync after only having 5 practices with this squad versus them returning pretty much their entire team is where things could get problematic, given our work-in-progress our offense is right now. They also won't be intimidated after playing Louisville last year, TCU last year, and whipping Wisconsin two days ago.

But as many have stated, this will be a good test and a good measuring stick. Can't wait to see how we preform against a quality opponent after two snoozers.

Ville also started pretty slow last year they lost 3 in a row at a point and Leo mentioned Wisky is a young team, of course we are kind of young to.
And its a home game for them. Grant Fair and Ennis will be the mismatches, hopefully we can find another.

The outcome will all depend on how JB manages the game. If he plays it straight we should be fine, but if we do the exhibition game subbing style, getting all the freshman plenty of minutes we very easily can, and most likely will get beat. I for one hope to see JB play this like a real game. Worse case we lose, and use it as a teaching point.

With the shot clock at 24 seconds you couldn't find a larger difference on it favoring us, and hindering Wisconsin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom