Class of 2015 - Carlton Bragg | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Carlton Bragg

It is good to be SU right now. The whole "blue blood" question comes up every now and again, and the arguments both ways are compelling. But, chalk this one up on the "blue blood" side of the argument. When a top ten power forward is publicly asking for SU interest, that shows where the program is at this moment.

Yeah I saw this this morning. I have to think there's a reason the staff has never looked in this kid's direction. Doesn't fit the system? Only wants us to recruit him to add our name to his list? Too worried about using college as a highlight reel instead of winning games? Maybe we're REALLY confident we'll get Bryant or Diagne and we just like them more? I don't know if any of that is remotely true. But there has to be some reason.

Diagne, Bryant, Jones, Silva, and Howard. I think they know they have one maybe even two of these guys. Also he mentioned Kentucky and he wanted a look from their because he puts people in the draft. SU has made it a point to recruit not me first the last 3 to 4 years. I believe they have learned their lesson with some in the folks. I know I am in the minority but I like Jones, and would be exstatic with any of the other 3 with the second spot.

If none of 5 pan out you could and some folks move on you could see him emerge but I do not think it is likelly. We will know more after the season when Grant and Ennis decide their futures. The only way I see Tyler leaving is if we win it or make another run which will be very exciting if they do.

Seems like he wants to collect offers like some kids collect twitter followers.

Kid has a great already filled out frame and looks pretty active with decent mobility. Not sold he can play the wing in the 2-3 for us though and that video really gives us no idea what type of player he is other than a dunker and a guy who hangs around the rim blocking shots on defense.
My question would be who has offered thus far.

Kid has a great already filled out frame and looks pretty active with decent mobility. Not sold he can play the wing in the 2-3 for us though and that video really gives us no idea what type of player he is other than a dunker and a guy who hangs around the rim blocking shots on defense.
My question would be who has offered thus far.

Here's full list (includes Ohio St., Louisville, and A LOT more):

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Carlton-Bragg-26933/RecruitInterests

This kid looks like our kid of players.

Is he someone that could be in the mix, Francis, or are we setting our sights differently?
Nobody on the staff has any connections out in Ohio, where Bragg is from. Which is why I guess they haven't shown much interest in him so far as he claims. I think with the current names that the staff has put in a lot of work on like Bryant/Diagne/Silva/Jones, that our sights and plans are indeed set differently.

Nobody on the staff has any connections out in Ohio, where Bragg is from. Which is why I guess they haven't shown much interest in him so far as he claims. I think with the current names that the staff has put in a lot of work on like Bryant/Diagne/Silva/Jones, that our sights and plans are indeed set differently.

Thanks, Francis--great info [per usual!].

Ohio is practically next door. Any reason why we can't build connections & recruit there ?

Ohio is practically next door. Any reason why we can't build connections & recruit there ?

Im going to assume its because over the past 30 years there havent been very many top players come out of there that we even wanted to be involved in.

As far as Bragg goes, it cant hurt to check him out, actually guage his interest, and determine if he could be a backup option if we lose out on guys like Bryant and Diagne. Even if it seems very much like we wont have that problem, you need to have backup options in case things go south, and Bragg would be a damn good backup option to have in our pocket. Heck its also possible he becomes a guy we would rather have, don't know until you look into the kid.

As JB said in his last show, they get all the players they want out of the NE. Then again, it seems like the NE extends to CA, GA, MD, and Michigan from time to time.

Im going to assume its because over the past 30 years there havent been very many top players come out of there that we even wanted to be involved in.

As far as Bragg goes, it cant hurt to check him out, actually guage his interest, and determine if he could be a backup option if we lose out on guys like Bryant and Diagne. Even if it seems very much like we wont have that problem, you need to have backup options in case things go south, and Bragg would be a damn good backup option to have in our pocket. Heck its also possible he becomes a guy we would rather have, don't know until you look into the kid.

IMO through regular and back channel sources the major BB programs know which prospects will fit their program, are seriously a potential signee and a pretty good sense about eligibility. Years ago Chris Webber, the top recruit in the country at the time, later part of Michigan's disgraced Fab Five, publicly stated at the time he wanted to be recruited by SU. JB's response, "He ain't coming here" and never pursued him. SU isn't wasting time on a prospect that is a lock elsewhere or a certain non SU signee (regardless of the reason). Having said that, we know of examples of the time and effort that was lost in pursuing SU prospects that actually seemed certain signees or very high probability like Kelly (committed, then flipped to UCONN), Perkins (committed and then flipped to UNC), and more recently Harris. I am sure there are other examples. I would guess with a high level of certainty that SU has known all about this prospect for a long time and made an informed decision not to pursue him. There just isn't enough hours in a day to respond to every high level prospect who wants SU's attention and I don't think SU wants high school prospects, their families, their coaches or their " advisors" thinking otherwise.

We actually recruited players in Ohio when Rob Murphy was here. Murphy was suppose to have strong connections out there and in Michigan, but unfortunately it seemed like we could never land any of the top players from those places. I remember at one point we were in a strong position to land both David Lighty and Dallas Lauderdale. Lighty ended up tearing his ACL playing football and his family decided it would be best for him to stay closer to home and play at Ohio St. Lauderdale's mother became ill and he decided to stay close to home as well and play at Ohio St.

The current staff has their connects built in strongly on the northeast and when you want to touch into new grounds, it's all about building relationships with the HS, AAU, and handlers of these players and programs. Maybe since the staff has had plenty of success with their current recruiting grounds, they don't find the need to go into areas where they know it'll be a waste of time.

If this kid is truly interested in going to SU all he has to do is have his high school or AAU coach call Hop or JB and let them know and see if there is any mutual interest. It wouldn't be the first time they've been contacted by a coach reaching out.

Yeah I saw this this morning. I have to think there's a reason the staff has never looked in this kid's direction. Doesn't fit the system? Only wants us to recruit him to add our name to his list? Too worried about using college as a highlight reel instead of winning games? Maybe we're REALLY confident we'll get Bryant or Diagne and we just like them more? I don't know if any of that is remotely true. But there has to be some reason.

Yeah, because of Thomas Bryant. This will put some pressure on Bryant to commit soon. At this point, there is no way in hell Grant will be here after next year, so there will clearly be an open spot. Grant, if he keeps on like he's playing right now, may jump this year.

Sure, like LeBron James. Ohio players suck.