Carmelo Anthony Snubbed From the All-NBA Teams | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony Snubbed From the All-NBA Teams

Disgusting. He played just as well this year as he did last year, when he was an MVP candidate.

He should've been 2nd team, minimum...with a good argument for first team. I'm livid.

Best individual year in Melo's career, in my opinion. The "experts" really don't know what they are doing- see Harden getting votes for All-Defensive team.

This is incredible to me.

Disgusting. He played just as well this year as he did last year, when he was an MVP candidate.

He should've been 2nd team, minimum...with a good argument for first team. I'm livid.
There is no defensible argument for first team; James and Durant are frankly automatic based on regular season bodies of work.

Second team... becomes amorphous. I certainly commiserate on third team.

When do they hold the voting for this? Aldridge might have gotten some bonus consideration for how well he played in the opening round of the playoffs.

I was expecting third team, but in all honesty not shocked. The Knicks were garbage this year. Doesn't take away from Melo's individual performances, but definitely played a role.

Right or wrong (and it's mostly wrong, imo), there is a fairly large group that don't see Anthony as a team player or a winner.

When do they hold the voting for this? Aldridge might have gotten some bonus consideration for how well he played in the opening round of the playoffs.

Aldridge was great all year.

Aldridge was great all year.
Agreed, but he's a relatively unknown star. Before his playoff performance how many casual fans would have recognized his face?

Agreed, but he's a relatively unknown star. Before his playoff performance how many casual fans would have recognized his face?

But it's got nothing to do with casual fans. I think really the only people "casual" fans (and by casual I mean REALLY know little) would know, would be Durant, James, maybe Howard. Basketball fans, people with knowledge of the sport, recognize not only his face, but how good he is.

I would say he's only relatively unknown because of his low key personality, and because he plays in Portland.

Melo definitely got hosed. It's really difficult to substantiate a case that he wasn't good enough to deserve 3rd team recognition. Carmelo is as much a victim of circumstance with respect to being in an organization which has been abhorrently deficient in assembling personnel which is suited to win as he is from the judgment of those who voted.

Imagine if Melo had the exact same numbers and was a member of the Miami Heat instead of the Knicks, do you think any of us are posting about this right now? Conversely, If Carmelo had the identical supporting cast as LBJ don't you think the chances are pretty good he'd have a ring or two?

Carmelo is also a victim of the tired narrative about only being a scorer and not playing any defense. He is first and foremost a scorer, but does not deserve the level of dismissal he is subject to on account of defense. Last I checked defensive rebounds is defensive statistic is it not? Cowherd rails on Melo for having "no self awareness" and infers that nobody wants to play with him. I like Cowherd but he is wrong in his characterization of Melo.

It's my hope that Carmelo takes this snub as fodder which will spur him on to make the right decisions with respect to the balance of his career and he can get himself surrounded by a team which will help him win a ring along with the recognition he is deserving of.

Last edited:
But it's got nothing to do with casual fans. I think really the only people "casual" fans (and by casual I mean REALLY know little) would know, would be Durant, James, maybe Howard. Basketball fans, people with knowledge of the sport, recognize not only his face, but how good he is.

I would say he's only relatively unknown because of his low key personality, and because he plays in Portland.
Yeah, I made a pretty dumb comment there.

His team posted a -17 in wins from the previous season and missed the playoffs. That is going to sink anyone, regardless of circumstance.

He's a very, very good player and he had a great year from a statistical standpoint, but there is no way he should deserve consideration for 1st team.

His team posted a -17 in wins from the previous season and missed the playoffs. That is going to sink anyone, regardless of circumstance.

He's a very, very good player and he had a great year from a statistical standpoint, but there is no way he should deserve consideration for 1st team.

That his team won 37 games this year is a testament to how incredible he played. That team was HORRIBLE this year. Smith and Felton were among the absolute worst players in the league who actually got minutes, at their respective positions. Chandler was hurt a lot, Amare is mostly shot, Shumpert slumped....the whole team sucked. Except for Melo.

It's odd how Kevin Love gets the nod, and doesn't have his team missing the playoffs(like they every single year of his career) held against against him. Either team success matters for these individual awards, or it doesn't.

Melo is a better basketball player than and had a better season than Griffin, Aldridge, and George. Those guys played on better teams. And no disrespect to them, they were very good this year too. Somebody had to get snubbed. It shouldn't have been Melo though.

Flacusian said:
Melo definitely got hosed. It's really difficult to substantiate a case that he wasn't good enough to deserve 3rd team recognition. Carmelo is as much a victim of circumstance with respect to being in an organization which has been abhorrently deficient in assembling personnel which is suited to win as he is from the judgment of those who voted. Imagine if Melo had the exact same numbers and was a member of the Miami Heat instead of the Knicks, do you think any of us are posting about this right now? Conversely, If Carmelo had the identical supporting cast as LBJ don't you think the chances are pretty good he'd have a ring or two? Carmelo is also a victim of the tired narrative about only being a scorer and not playing any defense. He is first and foremost a scorer, but does not deserve the level of dismissal he is subject to on account of defense. Last I checked defense rebounds is a defensive statistic is it not? Cowherd rails on Melo for having "no self awareness" and infers that nobody want's to play with him. I like Cowherd but he is wrong in his characterization of Melo. It's my hope that Carmelo takes this snub as fodder which will spur him on to make the right decisions with respect to the balance of his career and he can get himself surrounded by a team which will help him win a ring along with the recognition he is deserving of.

No, I disagree, with the same exact support class I still don't think Melo has a ring. The reason why Lebron and the Heat are able to have the big three is because Lebron doesn't need to score every time he has the ball, he doesn't need to go into ISO every possession. Durant has Westbrook and they haven't won a title, no reason to think Melo would be able to win. I'd see more arguments between players than you'd see playoff series wins if Melo was on the Heat. This isn't a knock Melo, but he isn't that kind of player.

Carmelo is also a victim of the tired narrative about only being a scorer and not playing any defense. He is first and foremost a scorer, but does not deserve the level of dismissal he is subject to on account of defense. Last I checked defense rebounds is a defensive statistic is it not? Cowherd rails on Melo for having "no self awareness" and infers that nobody want's to play with him. I like Cowherd but he is wrong in his characterization of Melo.

People who say that don't even watch basketball. If they do, they have absolutely no clue what they're watching. I'm convinced everyone is just piggybacking off what they heard/read someone else say.

Melo is not a bad defender. Not at all. He's ok.

Then again, James Harden - a legitimately clueless, horrible, lazy defender actually got a few votes for All Defense. Those people need to have their voting privileges revoked.

No, I disagree, with the same exact support class I still don't think Melo has a ring. The reason why Lebron and the Heat are able to have the big three is because Lebron doesn't need to score every time he has the ball, he doesn't need to go into ISO every possession. Durant has Westbrook and they haven't won a title, no reason to think Melo would be able to win. I'd see more arguments between players than you'd see playoff series wins if Melo was on the Heat. This isn't a knock Melo, but he isn't that kind of player.

Melo has arguments/run-ins with teammates now? When?

Seems to me that he played together with Iverson with no issues. Made a conference final with Billups and were easily the Lakers toughest western conference opponent in that 2008-2010 run where the made the finals every year.

He's played extremely well with Team USA, and had no problems whatsoever playing with other superstars.

Consider that they go ISO all the time because that's what Woodson does. Joe Johnson in Atlanta became known as "Iso Joe" for a reason...his coach was Woodson.

There is no defensible argument for first team; James and Durant are frankly automatic based on regular season bodies of work.

Second team... becomes amorphous. I certainly commiserate on third team.

Yeah, with Lebron and Durant as F's. Really, Lebron could be considered a Guard though. They should do away with the rigid position requirements. Different teams do different things.

OrangeDW said:
Melo has arguments/run-ins with teammates now? When? Seems to me that he played together with Iverson with no issues. Made a conference final with Billups and were easily the Lakers toughest western conference opponent in that 2008-2010 run where the made the finals every year. He's played extremely well with Team USA, and had no problems whatsoever playing with other superstars. Consider that they go ISO all the time because that's what Woodson does. Joe Johnson in Atlanta became known as "Iso Joe" for a reason...his coach was Woodson.

I didn't say he would have arguments with them, but AI didn't exactly light it up in Denver while being there being the second option.

James fits good in any situation because of the player he is, I can't say the same about Melo because of his game, his team is not going to flourish with more than one other great scorer on the floor.

I didn't say he would have arguments with them, but AI didn't exactly light it up in Denver while being there being the second option.

James fits good in any situation because of the player he is, I can't say the same about Melo because of his game, his team is not going to flourish with more than one other great scorer on the floor.

Melo's teams have made the playoffs in 10 of his 11 seasons. His teams have generally done pretty well.

Melo is NOT Lebron(nobody is) but that doesn't mean he can't win with the right team. His '09 Nuggets probably would've won(they were better than Orlando) if Trevor Ariza didn't literally steal 2 games from them.

Iverson averaged 26.4 points and 7.1 assists on .458 shooting(2nd best of his career) in his one full season in Denver.

In the half season, he got 24.8 ppg, 7.2 apg on .454 shooting(3rd best of his career). He had two of his most efficient seasons of his career in Denver!

Who were Melo's two other reliable game in game and out options on the Knicks?