Carmelo Anthony Snubbed From the All-NBA Teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony Snubbed From the All-NBA Teams

Orangeyes said:
Who were Melo's two other reliable game in game and out options on the Knicks?

I didn't say he had them, I just don't think mixing him in with two unreal players makes his team an automatic champion. I'm not saying you can't build a team around him because I believe you can, but I wouldn't go the route Miami did with Melo in place of Lebron.

It's really not all that surprising. You could make a case for Melo over PG, but PG was always going to make it if he was remotely close to Melo in terms of offensive production, and he was. Averaged a few points fewer per game, but also had slightly more assists despite a lower usage rate, and his TS% and eFG are both very close to Melo as well. Factor in the defensive side of the ball and his team success (which, right or not, it does get factored in), and it's not surprising that Melo didn't beat him out.

The real snub was John Wall not making the team over Lillard or Dragic.

I didn't say he had them, I just don't think mixing him in with two unreal players makes his team an automatic champion. I'm not saying you can't build a team around him because I believe you can, but I wouldn't go the route Miami did with Melo in place of Lebron.
Melo has two gold medals he knows how to share when he has better players surrounding him. There were games when Team USA leaned on him.

It's really not all that surprising. You could make a case for Melo over PG, but PG was always going to make it if he was remotely close to Melo in terms of offensive production, and he was. Averaged a few points fewer per game, but also had slightly more assists despite a lower usage rate, and his TS% and eFG are both very close to Melo as well. Factor in the defensive side of the ball and his team success (which, right or not, it does get factored in), and it's not surprising that Melo didn't beat him out.

The real snub was John Wall not making the team over Lillard or Dragic.

Melo scored more(6 ppg is more than "a few"), rebounded more, shot better, and consistenly carried the load with no help.

George started out hot, but ended the season as an inconsistent player on talented but underachieving team. Melo is a better player, and played better on the whole this season as well.

27 and 8 on 45% shooting(40% from 3) is fantastic and all NBA worthy. He's quickly becoming the most unfairly disrespected superstar in the league.

And I agree, Wall should've made it too. Curry over Harden on 1st team too.

Paul George is the flavor of the month.

He certainly was. Many on this board were all over the Paul George bandwagon a year ago. They already had him marked as being better than Melo. I tried to tell them they were jumping the gun.

George is good, but I'm still not sold that he will ever become what some have built him up to already be. Lots of strengths, very valuable player, and a guy who should have a great career but some have overrated what he can actually do.

Melo scored more(6 ppg is more than "a few"), rebounded more, shot better, and consistenly carried the load with no help.

George started out hot, but ended the season as an inconsistent player on talented but underachieving team. Melo is a better player, and played better on the whole this season as well.

27 and 8 on 45% shooting(40% from 3) is fantastic and all NBA worthy. He's quickly becoming the most unfairly disrespected superstar in the league.

And I agree, Wall should've made it too. Curry over Harden on 1st team too.

I agree that Melo's season was all-NBA worthy, but unfortunately, there are a lot of forwards this year that put together some great seasons. He had no chance of beating LeBron, Durant, Griffin, Love, or Aldridge.

Melo vs. PG could go either way. As you mentioned, Melo scored more and rebounded slightly more. Efficiency wise, PG is within less than 1% in terms of TS%, which is far more accurate than regular FG% or 3PT%. I assume that PG's case is that if he were on a team as devoid of talent as Melo, he could average just as many points and get an extra rebound per game, and he's a far better defender.

When the debate is that close, voters will naturally vote for the guy that had more team success, and in this case, PG led Indy to the top seed in the East while Melo led the Knicks to not even making the playoffs in the horrible East.

In my mind Melo and McNabb are in the same boat as far as being disrespected for no apparent reason - including people not liking them on a personal level. I realize winning titles ameliorates some of that, but with both of them I find it somewhat odd. Both excellent players who have kept their noses pretty clean - why the disrespect?

I agree that Melo's season was all-NBA worthy, but unfortunately, there are a lot of forwards this year that put together some great seasons. He had no chance of beating LeBron, Durant, Griffin, Love, or Aldridge.

Melo vs. PG could go either way. As you mentioned, Melo scored more and rebounded slightly more. Efficiency wise, PG is within less than 1% in terms of TS%, which is far more accurate than regular FG% or 3PT%. I assume that PG's case is that if he were on a team as devoid of talent as Melo, he could average just as many points and get an extra rebound per game, and he's a far better defender.

When the debate is that close, voters will naturally vote for the guy that had more team success, and in this case, PG led Indy to the top seed in the East while Melo led the Knicks to not even making the playoffs in the horrible East.

Griffin and Aldridge, great players and great seasons...but neither is better than Melo and neither played better than Melo this season. At the end of the day, it's about their team success(George too, as you said)...which I'm not sure it should be when it comes to individual awards. None of these guys are GM's. Blake didn't acquire the best PG in the game. Aldridge didn't draft Lillard or acquire Batum.

Melo's out there with scrubs. Nothing he can do about that...until now, where hopefully he gets out while he can.

In my mind Melo and McNabb are in the same boat as far as being disrespected for no apparent reason - including people not liking them on a personal level. I realize winning titles ameliorates some of that, but with both of them I find it somewhat odd. Both excellent players who have kept their noses pretty clean - why the disrespect?

It's funny seeing the reactions of NBA fans. Many of them hate Melo...until there's a rumor of him possibly joining their team.

Griffin and Aldridge, great players and great seasons...but neither is better than Melo and neither played better than Melo this season. At the end of the day, it's about their team success(George too, as you said)...which I'm not sure it should be when it comes to individual awards. None of these guys are GM's. Blake didn't acquire the best PG in the game. Aldridge didn't draft Lillard or acquire Batum.

Melo's out there with scrubs. Nothing he can do about that...until now, where hopefully he gets out while he can.

Blake finished 3rd in MVP voting. There wasn't a chance in hell Melo would beat him out. Blake was amazing this year. Melo was good as always, but even if the Clippers hadn't had the success they had, Blake most likely would beat Melo out with the season he had. Same goes for LaMarcus, but to a lesser extent. 23 or 24 points or whatever he averaged and 11 rebounds a game is going to beat out 27 and 8 every time, especially if they play in a much tougher conference.

Blake finished 3rd in MVP voting. There wasn't a chance in hell Melo would beat him out. Blake was amazing this year. Melo was good as always, but even if the Clippers hadn't had the success they had, Blake most likely would beat Melo out with the season he had. Same goes for LaMarcus, but to a lesser extent. 23 or 24 points or whatever he averaged and 11 rebounds a game is going to beat out 27 and 8 every time, especially if they play in a much tougher conference.

Hmm...earlier you were all about true shooting %. You check out Aldridge's compared to Melo?

23 and 11 is going to beat out 27 and 8 every time? Not sure on that. And if we're simplifying it that much, George's 21 and 7 beat out Melo's 27 and 8. Shouldn't have happened. You can take any angle here, and Melo should not have been snubbed. Somebody had to be, but he was too good to be the one.

Hmm...earlier you were all about true shooting %. You check out Aldridge's compared to Melo?

23 and 11 is going to beat out 27 and 8 every time? Not sure on that. And if we're simplifying it that much, George's 21 and 7 beat out Melo's 27 and 8. Shouldn't have happened. You can take any angle here, and Melo should not have been snubbed. Somebody had to be, but he was too good to be the one.

Touche on the TS% point. Aldridge took a step back this year in that regard because he seemed to be far more reliant on his mid-range game this year than finishing inside like he's done in the past. But yeah, 23 and 11 in a significantly tougher conference on a significantly better team will beat out 27 and 8 every time unless Aldridge shot like 40% from the field or something.

And in PG's case, it's 21 and 7 with elite defense and a #1 seed vs. 27 and 8 with average at best defense on a team that couldn't even go .500 in the East.

The only way Melo really should have made it this year is if they had considered Paul George a SG, which would have freed up another spot among the forwards, but I think all of the forwards that made it this year were more deserving than Melo. That's not a slight against him. He had a tremendous year, and was easily one of the top 15 players in the league this year. There was just too much competition at the SF and PF positions this year.

Last edited:
Well, I can almost see the arguments why Melo shouldn't have made it, but I'll take a team of snubs with Melo, Duncan and Wall and add whoever you want, that would give any of the three teams a tough game.

Paul George is the flavor of the month.

I don't know about that, Pete. I think George is going to be one of the premier small forwards in the league for the next 8-10 years. He's a star.

Then again, James Harden - a legitimately clueless, horrible, lazy defender actually got a few votes for All Defense. Those people need to have their voting privileges revoked.

This is amazing to me. I thought Chris Sheridan not voting Lebron first team all league was the worst vote I saw until I read about those.

Melo was really hurt by being on a terrible team, he was really good this year and he played 500 more minutes than last year. Griffin and Kevin Love were awesome this year, so I'm not sure I'd put him on the second team (but then again, maybe I would, I'd probably need to really study the defense) but I think he should have been on the third team.

I don't know about that, Pete. I think George is going to be one of the premier small forwards in the league for the next 8-10 years. He's a star.

I meant for the here and now, during voting season. I know he's good.

At the SF Durant and James are clearly the best players in no particular order - after that I'd imagine every GM in the league would take Leonard over Melo or George - Leonard is versatile on offense and is a game changer defensively - Melo is definitely better than George though

At the SF Durant and James are clearly the best players in no particular order - after that I'd imagine every GM in the league would take Leonard over Melo or George - Leonard is versatile on offense and is a game changer defensively - Melo is definitely better than George though

C'mon. He averaged 13 points per game.

Not a chance in hell. Even taking age into account, I think pretty much every team in the NBA would at least choose Paul George over Leonard since he's only 24 and is a far better player. The only teams that would consider Leonard over Melo are teams that aren't ready to compete yet and would be wasting their time with Melo since he'd be too old by the time they'd be good.

I'm in the crowd that believes Melo was rightfully left off the All-NBA teams, but this is just a ridiculous statement. You're underrating Melo a ton.

I think Leonard vs George is a really good debate. His raw numbers are down a little cause the Spurs play everyone a lot of minutes, but 60% true shooting, good defender. FGair question is what his efficiency would look like on the Pacers.
I think Melo is still a better player than both, but if Leonard is better than George over the next 3-4 years, I wouldn't be too surprised. George might deserve the edge now.

What the teams should've been:
1st team:
Curry, Paul, James, Durant, Howard

2nd team:
Dragic, Harden, Anthony, Love, Noah

3rd team:
Wall, Lowry, Davis, Griffin, Jefferson

Close, but not quite:
Lillard, Conley, Parker, Ellis, Dirk, George, Aldridge, Duncan, Cousins

Enough with this rewarding winning stuff for individual awards that they pick and choose when they apply anyway. Pick the players who had the best seasons.

Last edited: