Carmelo Anthony | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony

His philanthropic efforts rival those of any professional athlete I am aware of. He has done tremendous work in Syracuse, Baltimore, Denver and NYC, yet still has an army of critics always ready to remind us of a few missteps he made years ago. Go figure.
A few years ago, the Boston Globe did an article on foundations started by athletes. The article noted how many of them use a huge percentage of funds for administrative costs. One of the few exceptions noted was Carmelo's. I think it noted that most of the money was simply donated by him rather than raised externally, but at least the cash was doing what he said it was.

What player has ever wanted to play for George Karl? At some point people have to look at him as being the reason nobody wants to play at the places he coaches. This has been going on since the Seattle days.

I remember being amazed how little we heard about any conflict between Karl and Melo. I always imagined them sitting alone in a room somewhere saying something like "All right, we don't really like each other. But rather than give the press a coach-and-player-hat- each-other story, let's just focus on winning and make them write about that."

His philanthropic efforts rival those of any professional athlete I am aware of. He has done tremendous work in Syracuse, Baltimore, Denver and NYC, yet still has an army of critics always ready to remind us of a few missteps he made years ago. Go figure.

Don't forget Puerto Rico.

Don't forget Puerto Rico.
Yes, another poster wrote about that and posted a picture later in this thread.

Him being a coach killer is just insane. He didn't have issues with JB and he hasn't had issues with Fisher. What player has ever wanted to play for George Karl? At some point people have to look at him as being the reason nobody wants to play at the places he coaches. This has been going on since the Seattle days.

I don't have evidence to support it as of now but I would bet MANY players loved playing for Karl. He was dealing with some crazy health issues too while coaching. I think players loved Karl's offensive concepts.

There is validity in his post about Melo's perception. JB yes but it is a very small sample size as we know. Same with Fisher so far. Some aspects are absolutely fact...the ball stopping, volume shooter, lazy on D (more often than not), not a great handle. He's one of the most talented offensive forwards we have seen in awhile. He can be a good passer when he wants to as well and I don't buy that argument that he's finally trusting his teammates. He is all of sudden trusting these bunch of nobodies, rookies, journeymen, etc.? It's ok to point out some flaws in his game. As mentioned above a title eliminates much of the doubt. That's what a title will do, generally.

I don't have evidence to support it as of now but I would bet MANY players loved playing for Karl. He was dealing with some crazy health issues too while coaching. I think players loved Karl's offensive concepts.

There is validity in his post about Melo's perception. JB yes but it is a very small sample size as we know. Same with Fisher so far. Some aspects are absolutely fact...the ball stopping, volume shooter, lazy on D (more often than not), not a great handle. He's one of the most talented offensive forwards we have seen in awhile. He can be a good passer when he wants to as well and I don't buy that argument that he's finally trusting his teammates. He is all of sudden trusting these bunch of nobodies, rookies, journeymen, etc.? It's ok to point out some flaws in his game. As mentioned above a title eliminates much of the doubt. That's what a title will do, generally.

I'll stick to Karl here. Melo got a lot of flack for that relationship. I think we know now that it's been more than him. This started in the Shawn Kemp days to Ray Allen, Iggy, Ty Lawson, JR Smith, Melo, and now Demarcus. I'm glad Karl is healthy, he's a great X and O's guy, but he's never been the most honest coach out there. Drama has always surrounded his teams.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/george-ka...-andre-iguodala-jr-smith-demarcus-cousins/#2/

where do you live?

As long as it isn't upstate NY, ask some people (who dont know you are a melo fan) what they think of melos career.

For a superstar, he has a terrible brand image. No one thinks he is as good as his stats show.

He has a fantastic brand image. His jersey sales have been in the top ten for almost all of his first 10 years. Even this past year, he is still at 15. He is on the 12th version of his signature shoe with Jordan Brand. He's repped, in part, by CAA.

He has almost $10MM worth of endorsement deals, which is pretty dang good for someone with a "terrible brand image".

This is the second post regarding Melo where you are so far off from reality, it makes it seem like you have an agenda. I don't know, nor do I particularly care, if you do, but what I highlighted above that you wrote is pure BS.

He has a fantastic brand image. His jersey sales have been in the top ten for almost all of his first 10 years. Even this past year, he is still at 15. He is on the 12th version of his signature shoe with Jordan Brand. He's repped, in part, by CAA.

He has almost $10MM worth of endorsement deals, which is pretty dang good for someone with a "terrible brand image".

This is the second post regarding Melo where you are so far off from reality, it makes it seem like you have an agenda. I don't know, nor do I particularly care, if you do, but what I highlighted above that you wrote is pure BS.

There are truths to all of your facts about melo. But that also only paints the sunny side with none of the negative. And there is plenty of negative.

I LOVE Melo. I have no agenda against him - asinine comment. And I am not far from reality at all. I think you are delusional and talking about Melo as a Cuse fan.

CusefanATL said:
There are truths to all of your facts about melo. But that also only paints the sunny side with none of the negative. And there is plenty of negative. I LOVE Melo. I have no agenda against him - asinine comment. And I am not far from reality at all. I think you are delusional and talking about Melo as a Cuse fan.
So enlighten us about the "terrible brand image".

So enlighten us about the "terrible brand image".

well, 1st of all - both of you are conveniently leaving out the "for a superstar" part.

I highly doubt you don't know what his NBA career image is. But if you really don't, I posted them all earlier in the thread.

if you want to get on Melo, I think you'd focus on the Linsinanity period. He absolutely did not like all the pub he was getting

CusefanATL said:
well, 1st of all - both of you are conveniently leaving out the "for a superstar" part. I highly doubt you don't know what his NBA career image is. But if you really don't, I posted them all earlier in the thread.
I just didn't think your list was a particularly good one is all. I mean "coach killer"?

Knicks411 said:
if you want to get on Melo, I think you'd focus on the Linsinanity period. He absolutely did not like all the pub he was getting
Eh. Melo was right on that. NYers wanted to hand Lin the keys to the kingdom after 10 games. His career hasn't nearly panned out like the superstar some thought he'd be.

I think there's truth in both. Melo is popular among fans - all star votes and jersey sales are evidence of that. However, many fans also see him as a chucker, lazy defender, and money-first guy.

My guess would be that there are significant demographic differences between the two. Most likely, younger NBA fans skew to the former.

Although not that young, I am a big Melo fan. Yes, I'm an alum, but he turned around a bad situation in Denver and made the playoffs every year. I also feel like he has adjusted his game as his team has needed, often playing the four. I think he's a clutch shooter as well (he won a Celtics game I went to with a last second shot). True, he has not advanced through the playoffs much, but more often than not, he's had less talent around him than the team he was facing.

well, 1st of all - both of you are conveniently leaving out the "for a superstar" part.

I highly doubt you don't know what his NBA career image is. But if you really don't, I posted them all earlier in the thread.

That's the image according to idiots like Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless...who the f cares what they think?

Hell, Iverson almost won a title single handedly and what good did it do him?

Look at what's going on with Cam Newton's "image".

The point is...Who could possibly care about what the embrace debate types and social media hacks say?

Yes, it would help Melo if he won a title...it'd help LeBron if he won his 3rd, it'd help Curry if he won back to back...Harden, Durant, Westbrook etc etc. I'll agree with that. But even if he won a title the same bs will be said by crap stirrers.

Eh. Melo was right on that. NYers wanted to hand Lin the keys to the kingdom after 10 games. His career hasn't nearly panned out like the superstar some thought he'd be.

He was right that Lin wasn't as good as he showed in that stretch, but the guy was playing fantastic at the time. It made no real sense to cut him off at the legs like he did unless he was jealous. I do think Melo has matured since then though.

I think Melo probably has a better rep to the average person than he deserves. Not sure it's still the case, but for a long while he was considered a player the caliber of Lebron, Durant, etc, when he was really never as good as them.

That's the image according to idiots like Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless...who the f cares what they think?

Hell, Iverson almost won a title single handedly and what good did it do him?

Look at what's going on with Cam Newton's "image".

The point is...Who could possibly care about what the embrace debate types and social media hacks say?

Yes, it would help Melo if he won a title...it'd help LeBron if he won his 3rd, it'd help Curry if he won back to back...Harden, Durant, Westbrook etc etc. I'll agree with that. But even if he won a title the same bs will be said by crap stirrers.
I just find the whole thing with Carmelo (and it's not simply the media hacks, but a significant number of people who regularly post on this board) a bit curious and unfortunate. Someone makes a positive statement about him as player, and right away someone else is there to tell them why he has underachieved on the court. Someone credits him for his philanthropic efforts, and someone else quickly chimes in about his past mistakes. I just don't get it.

People have all kinds of different opinions about Carmelo Anthony. For me, he is my favorite player since he was the guy who made the National Championship happen for Syracuse and the fact that he remembers where he came from as evidenced by hid donation back to the University and his old stomping grounds as a kid.

And, will there ever be anyone with such an infections smile and wonderful demeanor? For me... not.