Carolina is 8-1 in the Dome | Syracusefan.com

Carolina is 8-1 in the Dome

LPOrange

2nd String
hard to believe they've played that many times up here.

They are 1-0 against Syracuse (1983-84 season - they had Perkins, Daugherty, and some guy named Jordan)

In 1983 they beat Ohio State in the Sweet 16
They lost elite 8 game to Georgia

In 1997 they advanced to the final 4 out of Syracuse - beating Colorado and Chauncey Billups along the way
it was Dean Smith's last victory of his hall of fame career.

They advanced to the 2005 final four beating Villanova and that 4 guard lineup with Allan Ray and Foye

Last edited:

They are 1-0 against Syracuse (1983-84 season - they had Perkins, Daugherty, and some guy named Jordan)

In 1887 they advanced to the final 4 out of Syracuse - beating Colorado and Chauncey Billups along the way

They advanced to the 2005 final four beating Villanova and that 4 guard lineup with Allan Ray and Foye

Was that 2005 game they most certainly should have lost?

In 1887 they advanced to the final 4 out of Syracuse - beating Colorado and Chauncey Billups along the way

dam the dome is old- didnt realize they opened it back in 1887 and it wasnt even a su game- did we still use pink and blue? or was orange used?

They also played in 1991 1st and 2nd round in Syracuse. Beat Northeastern and Villanova. I think that is part of their 8 wins but you didn't have it listed. I happened to be at the same hotel as them in Carrier Circle and rode the elevator with Eric Montross and Dean Smith. All I can tell you is that Montross is a big dude and Dean Smith was an old dude.

Even though UNC might be 8-1, this will not be a "home" game for them. I expect to see some Carolina Blue, but it will be a very loud Orange crowd.

They advanced to the final four by beating Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Damn Granville Waiters nailed us in Hartford in '83 otherwise we would have come home to play UNC in the dome in the Sweet 16. Get out of the dome and we could have ended Valvano and NC St's run.

I knew Chauncey Billups was old - but man ...

They also played in 1991 1st and 2nd round in Syracuse. Beat Northeastern and Villanova. I think that is part of their 8 wins but you didn't have it listed. I happened to be at the same hotel as them in Carrier Circle and rode the elevator with Eric Montross and Dean Smith. All I can tell you is that Montross is a big dude and Dean Smith was an old dude.

Even though UNC might be 8-1, this will not be a "home" game for them. I expect to see some Carolina Blue, but it will be a very loud Orange crowd.
I have a picture of Montross and myself. I come up to like, his knees. lol

Orange46R said:
Damn Granville Waiters nailed us in Hartford in '83 otherwise we would have come home to play UNC in the dome in the Sweet 16. Get out of the dome and we could have ended Valvano and NC St's run.

Waiters looked like he was a 50 year old ymca legend when he was 20

wtvx36.jpg

To put this picture into perspective, I am 6'0

(ok, so maybe it's a little taller than his knees lol)

They advanced to the 1997 final four at the Dome as well.

They beat Chauncey and Colorado in those '97 NCAA's, but I think that was 2nd round game to get to the Dome. At the Dome I remember them beating California who featured Tony Gonzales. And then they beat Louisville to advance, in what ended up being Dean Smith's last win of his career. At the time he was the all time winningest coach.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a kinetoscope version of the 1887 game, or were they all in Punxsutawny memorializing the 1st ever Groundhog Day?

Was that 2005 game they most certainly should have lost?

Duke lost earlier that night. The refs were informed at halftime that the last ACC team could not be allowed to lose. Also I love seeing these old tourney clips with the different courts. I hate these new monolithic courts they install at every venue.

In 1*87 they advanced to the final 4 out of Syracuse - beating Colorado and Chauncey Billups along the way

Wasn't '87...that was the year we kicked their a$$e$ in the Elite Eight to advance to JB's first Final Four...but shhh, don't tell Raycom that.

cliftonparksufan said:
They also played in 1991 1st and 2nd round in Syracuse. Beat Northeastern and Villanova. I think that is part of their 8 wins but you didn't have it listed. I happened to be at the same hotel as them in Carrier Circle and rode the elevator with Eric Montross and Dean Smith. All I can tell you is that Montross is a big dude and Dean Smith was an old dude. Even though UNC might be 8-1, this will not be a "home" game for them. I expect to see some Carolina Blue, but it will be a very loud Orange crowd.

I have a similar story as I was staying at the same hotel as their 83/84 squad at the carrier circle. Pretty much the whole team including Jordan was sitting at the lobby couch the day of the game and I had a paper so I as nonchalantly as I could took my morning paper and walked up casually and sat down on the couch near them pretending I was waiting for someone. Flipping through the paper for about a good minute to ensure I let a suitable time go by before glancing up, I finally took a casual peek up and they were all looking at me smiling / laughing. Busted. It was a good laugh and I Got to shake Perkins hand before they left on the bus. I remember his hand engulfing my elbow as he shook my hand. Could not believe how small I felt and I am 6'.

If my memory serves correctly, in our losing effort, Pearl had a wide open fast break that game and tried an off the floor bounce pass / dunk and blew it.

I have a similar story as I was staying at the same hotel as their 83/84 squad at the carrier circle. Pretty much the whole team including Jordan was sitting at the lobby couch the day of the game and I had a paper so I as nonchalantly as I could took my morning paper and walked up casually and sat down on the couch near them pretending I was waiting for someone. Flipping through the paper for about a good minute to ensure I let a suitable time go by before glancing up, I finally took a casual peek up and they were all looking at me smiling / laughing. Busted.

I'll give you credit for being more subtle in you stalking ways than Deano

Duke lost earlier that night. The refs were informed at halftime that the last ACC team could not be allowed to lose. Also I love seeing these old tourney clips with the different courts. I hate these new monolithic courts they install at every venue.

Hate the new courts. One small way that the NCAA has sucked some life out of the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom