Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience

For whatever reason late 80s / early 90s midway though the second half some usher walked in front of the student section. We'd all chant "dome guy" and do bows...

Not an SU figure but definitely a Syracuse figure. Jim Durkin, who sold programs at Chiefs games. "Get your lucky signature programs! You're next!" You could hear him from the far ends of the parking lot. Prior to that I think he was the beer guy but that was when I was in high school...

Awesome guy... I used to see him at Crunch and Silver Knight games as well
This is how he pitched his beer back in the day:

COOOLLLLDDDD BEER! CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD BEER! CCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD BEER!

Get your COOOLLLLDDDD BEER!

The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Dome Ranger (prior years)
-Dome Knitter (prior years)
-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.
-Eli (RIP)
-Loud religious guy with the bullhorn
-Lady who has worked at Varsity Pizza forever
-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)
-Scalper on the corner of Marshall and Crouse who has been there for every SU game that I can remember
-Expo$edoe (local rapper who visits football tailgates to tell you about his new album)
-Recently, Adam Weitsman

There has to be many more...
The "Big Man" coach we never had...
1587311420625.png

Towel man. I usually notice when he’s not there whipping his towels around.

he single handily brought us back from ~20 down vs wichita st due to missed FT's... just a bobble Dnic layup away from a win.

he also gave us that great pic with the good looking duke fan.

When I was there - mid 80’s - there was also Spare Change Guy, who hung out around M Street.

We’d joke that, at the end of his evening shift, he’d walk a few blocks away, hop in his Mercedes, and drive home to his big house around the block from Boeheim. :p
"...got any spare change, extra quarters I can borrow..."

We saw hawker Joe Godley at lacrosse Final Four in Philly and also at Sugar Bowl in 1988. That guy was/is everywhere.

he single handily brought us back from ~20 down vs wichita st due to missed FT's... just a bobble Dnic layup away from a win.

I got violent food poisoning from eating at Dinosaur BBQ (along with a couple hundred other people) after that game ended. Just a bad night all around.

We saw hawker Joe Godley at lacrosse Final Four in Philly and also at Sugar Bowl in 1988. That guy was/is everywhere.
I remember seeing him at the Sugar Bowl, I was like "we bring our own program guys?"

Whenever my mom would see Joe Godley she'd remark, "I once sold him furniture at Dunk N Bright."

The late Joe Szombothy used to always wear an orange blazer and be around the team back in the day. I don't recall what his official job was at SU during those years.

Nowadays I like Midge (I think that's her name) the usher in the 300s during football games. Very enthusiastic. She used to be in 336 but they moved her. I saw her in 328 once last year but not sure where she currently resides.

Last edited:
Whenever my mom would see Joe Godley she'd remark, "I once sold him furniture at Dunk N Bright."

The late Joe Szombothy used to always wear an orange blazer and be around the team back in the day. I don't recall was his official job was at SU during those years.

Nowadays I like Midge (I think that's her name) the usher in the 300s during football games. Very enthusiastic. She used to be in 336 but they moved her. I saw her in 328 once last year but not sure where she currently resides.

SID, I think?

This is how he pitched his beer back in the day:

COOOLLLLDDDD BEER! CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD BEER! CCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD BEER!

Get your COOOLLLLDDDD BEER!
"I got 2 left and they're IIIIICCCCEEE Cold!!!!"

Also, my father and I gave Joe G. a ride home from a Buff Bills game once in the early 80's when I was about 12. He saw us in the stands and recognized us and asked for a lift. He talked non-stop for the 2.5 hr. drive, lol! Great dude...

The late Joe Szombothy used to always wear an orange blazer and be around the team back in the day. I don't recall was his official job was at SU during those years.

In charge of the varsity club and orange pack.