Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience

The lady at the Varsity was there when I was a student. And she was old then.

The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Dome Ranger (prior years)
-Dome Knitter (prior years)
-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.
-Eli (RIP)
-Loud religious guy with the bullhorn
-Lady who has worked at Varsity Pizza forever
-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)
-Scalper on the corner of Marshall and Crouse who has been there for every SU game that I can remember
-Expo$edoe (local rapper who visits football tailgates to tell you about his new album)
-Recently, Adam Weitsman

There has to be many more...
No mention of Dome Eddie?

I don't know who was filling in for Veley, who I assume is still the current PA announcer, but no one was shooting a "deuce for the Cuse" on Tuesday night. Hopefully that phrase has been retired.
So good. I had forgotten all about that. Great, great call. I'm like actually laughing right now.

44cuse

The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Dome Ranger (prior years)
-Dome Knitter (prior years)
-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.
-Eli (RIP)
-Loud religious guy with the bullhorn
-Lady who has worked at Varsity Pizza forever
-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)
-Scalper on the corner of Marshall and Crouse who has been there for every SU game that I can remember
-Expo$edoe (local rapper who visits football tailgates to tell you about his new album)
-Recently, Adam Weitsman

There has to be many more...
Father B

Joel M
Great call, which wont be appreciated by most on here due to the time lapse. Went to Mott Rd elementary with his son David, and we were ballboys together in the 70s (Roys Runts era). Joel Marieness was a legend, and a mentor to Bob Costas and Dave Cohen.

Saw the older post about hawker Joe -- that guy was everywhere when I grew up. In the early 70s the Chiefs (now Mets) were a Yankee affiliate , and at MacArthur he would yell , Yaaaankee Yearbooks. Then worked every Dome game, and was pleasantly surprised to see him at the 88 Sugar Bowl selling beers in the Cuse section as somebody referenced earlier in this thread. And on a side note, Pat Tie Dye still sucks to this day!

Great call, which wont be appreciated by most on here due to the time lapse. Went to Mott Rd elementary with his son David, and we were ballboys together in the 70s (Roys Runts era). Joel Marieness was a legend, and a mentor to Bob Costas and Dave Cohen.

Saw the older post about hawker Joe -- that guy was everywhere when I grew up. In the early 70s the Chiefs (now Mets) were a Yankee affiliate , and at MacArthur he would yell , Yaaaankee Yearbooks. Then worked every Dome game, and was pleasantly surprised to see him at the 88 Sugar Bowl selling beers in the Cuse section as somebody referenced earlier in this thread. And on a side note, Pat Tie Dye still sucks to this day!
Up the invisible ladder

7A98E05E-67F8-405E-A870-5BD59FE77B43.jpeg
A picture says a thousand words.

Rasta Drummer and his seven years of college were iconic.

Steroid cheerleader (later arrested for murder).

The skinny student that first did the big heads. Started a whole sporting trend.

Blue Curtain was Syracuse personified.
The Blue Curtain served a great purpose as a divider and as a place to hang banners. Made it a little more cozy. Plus back then it seemed like it allowed for a more user friendly backcourt with tables and TV.

But the question remains is what ever happened to the poster known as Blue Curtain. Tried to be an Iggy clone but not as effective. Is he still around in another persona? Like he was a WWE heel.

The Blue Curtain served a great purpose as a divider and as a place to hang banners. Made it a little more cozy. Plus back then it seemed like it allowed for a more user friendly backcourt with tables and TV.

But the question remains is what ever happened to the poster known as Blue Curtain. Tried to be an Iggy clone but not as effective. Is he still around in another persona? Like he was a WWE heel.
I miss the blue curtain.

Rasta Drummer and his seven years of college were iconic.

Steroid cheerleader (later arrested for murder).

The skinny student that first did the big heads. Started a whole sporting trend.

Blue Curtain was Syracuse personified.
The student who started the big head tradition was Pat Manley - yes a younger generation related to those great SU legacy Manley’s (Of Manley field house). He left his own special fun mark as an SU student and fan.

Rasta drummer who was in the pep band was fun too. The Blue Curtain had it’s own special place for SU basketball and the dome.

Can’t help it but this picture is rather sad to me. Hope all is well with this young Indiana fan who sure left her own ‘special’ memories for SU basketball during her visit here. All you‘re left with are questions???
Me too. Pretty darn strange that whoever was with her let that even happen. I posted it because I remembered how much discussion it caused at the time but I can’t imagine someone actually doing this in a public setting without something being wrong.