Casual fan encounter | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Casual fan encounter

So...coddle the fairweathers that dont show up and shaft the diehards that go every game?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No. Implement a comprehensive pricing plan that doesn't pretend that CNY is Manhattan.

Sorry I meant it as a reply to the person that said we shouldnt let people move down after halftime.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Remember when you pay for preferred seat, it also includes basketball plus the season ticket cost for both teams.

Remember when you pay for preferred seat, it also includes basketball plus the season ticket cost for both teams.

Huh? Preferred seating costs doesn't include any tixs cost. They also give you a small break if the preferred payment is for 2 sport versus both.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

i feel like there are certain points that people just don't understand. first, is that the absolute vast majority of the people who live in syracuse have no affiliation with the college. there is not a large alumni base, and not that many people work there. it's not like a similarly sized college town like columbus or madison where a large percent of the city is directly connected to the university. most of the people just don't care, the only syracuse alums i know have moved away "for greener pastures". on top of that, (it hurts me to write this) the program has flat out sucked for a decade. i have lived here since 2000 and it has basically sucked the whole time and i have been to almost every game. as a result, the "casual" types that are now in their 30's and have kids, who moved here in their 20's, don't give a damn about syracuse football, and they are the people we need to care. it's essentially a lost generation of potential football fans, because no one wants to pay money to watch a loser when they have no other affiliation with the program. i really think some of you need to grow up about this attendance issue. make a good team, people will go, make a bad team, people won't, it's very simple. i've seen like 3-4 BCS wins at home ten years, if that.

i feel like there are certain points that people just don't understand. first, is that the absolute vast majority of the people who live in syracuse have no affiliation with the college. there is not a large alumni base, and not that many people work there. it's not like a similarly sized college town like columbus or madison where a large percent of the city is directly connected to the university.

What you're missing is the huge HUGE contingent of thousands of lifers/townies that live here but didn't go to SU. Our city name is the same as the school and thousands of townies view the team as our pro team. The rest of your post is spot on

Isn't SU the biggest employer in the area?

What you're missing is the huge HUGE contingent of thousands of lifers/townies that live here but didn't go to SU. Our city name is the same as the school and thousands of townies view the team as our pro team. The rest of your post is spot on
honestly that is what keeps it afloat, i grew up as an SU fan and ended up in syracuse by chance. the lifers are here, as am i. i'm just saying that the out of towners bash the locals, when the locals are keeping the thing together.

i feel like there are certain points that people just don't understand. first, is that the absolute vast majority of the people who live in syracuse have no affiliation with the college. there is not a large alumni base, and not that many people work there. it's not like a similarly sized college town like columbus or madison where a large percent of the city is directly connected to the university. most of the people just don't care, the only syracuse alums i know have moved away "for greener pastures". on top of that, (it hurts me to write this) the program has flat out sucked for a decade. i have lived here since 2000 and it has basically sucked the whole time and i have been to almost every game. as a result, the "casual" types that are now in their 30's and have kids, who moved here in their 20's, don't give a damn about syracuse football, and they are the people we need to care. it's essentially a lost generation of potential football fans, because no one wants to pay money to watch a loser when they have no other affiliation with the program. i really think some of you need to grow up about this attendance issue. make a good team, people will go, make a bad team, people won't, it's very simple. i've seen like 3-4 BCS wins at home ten years, if that.

I'm thinking you could take one for the team and move.

I'm thinking you could take one for the team and move.

i'm guessing that's a barb, but i'm not sure why you are throwing it my way.

There is a lot (as in way too much) talk on this board about attendance, specifically the casual fan/students and how to get them to the game. I was at the dermatologist this morning and my nurse asked me if I was going to the game. I said yes. She asked if Pitt is any good, I said they are beatable. She was a little taken aback by the comment. She was under the impression we were going to get destroyed. She then stated she thinks she plans on going to the game. I mentioned we were actually favored by a point.

Here is the point of this post: her response-- "wow im surprised, it'll be worth it to go if it's a close game but if we were going to get crushed I figured might as well stay home and watch from the couch."

Also, the axe man was talking about the su athletic dept and ticket sales. Basically saying no matter how you slice it, it is ALWAYS more convenient to watch from the living room drinking cheap beer. A guy, who used to have season ticks, called in and said this afternoon he went to the box office to get two tickets at the 30 yard line in the lower section. $180. He didn't get them.

Can you really blame both of these people?

Living in Houston, TX, I would do anything to be able to attend a football game. No straight flights from here. Takes half a day just to fly. I would spend $200 for a ticket easy.

Huh? Preferred seating costs doesn't include any tixs cost. They also give you a small break if the preferred payment is for 2 sport versus both.
Actually, it's a huge break.
If you "go Preferred", you basically have to "go Preferred for both".
The Preferred costs for "football-only" are outrageous.

I wish it wasn't this way, but it is... trust me.

Isn't SU the biggest employer in the area?

Yes they are, largest or second largest employer in Onondaga County - over 6,000. Lots of people work there.

Yes they are, largest or second largest employer in Onondaga County - over 6,000. Lots of people work there.

Second largest - I think Upstate employs around 10k.

yes i can blame these people for not wanting to go to the game. Even if they lose its something to do in this i call syracuse. My buddy who used to go to the games with me would rather stay home and play borderlands 2. A guy a work whos says hes a big fan decided he would rather watch at his old mans house than try to get free tickets from a drawing at work. gimme a break.

do all of us a favor and quit calling Syracuse a sh!thole. If you dont appreciate central new york for everything it has to offer than PLEASE get the hell out of here and complain elsewhere. We do not need cancers like you in this community. Why dont you move to charlotte like everyone else that ends up moving right back once they decide to start a family.

Couldnt disagree with you more man. Ive lived here my entire life...Syracuse and all the surrounding suburbs bleed orange man. If you dont realize that you are insane. And there are PLENTY of alumni still in CNY.

Ouch! The truth does hurt. Sad but true.

I have always liked sitting in the 300s the most. You can see every play develop, and im tall so i hated having the back of benches in my kneecaps. I initially had seasons on the 30yard line about 10 rows from the field and hated the seats. So for me...im not angry about the pricing haha

I have always liked sitting in the 300s the most. You can see every play develop, and im tall so i hated having the back of benches in my kneecaps. I initially had seasons on the 30yard line about 10 rows from the field and hated the seats. So for me...im not angry about the pricing haha
I think the best seats in the Dome (other than the Chancellor's box or press box) for FB are the 300 level midfield. I have sat pretty much everywhere and those are the best for FB. There really aren't any bad seats in the Dome for FB.

The best for hoops are the front row of the mezz sideline (football endzone), imo.

ive always enjoyed the first couple rows of 300 level for basketball as well. My buddie and his father have had seasons for bball in the bleachers like 6 rows from the court and those are pretty sweet...but for some reason i like being higher up most the time.

do all of us a favor and quit calling Syracuse a sh!thole. If you dont appreciate central new york for everything it has to offer than PLEASE get the hell out of here and complain elsewhere. We do not need cancers like you in this community. Why dont you move to charlotte like everyone else that ends up moving right back once they decide to start a family.

Hey I appologize for calling syracuse a . I really shouldnt drink before posting. In fact I've made decent future for myself from the quality education I received here. Aside from property taxes and weather syracuse is a pretty nice place to live. I feel after 27 years I should have the right to call it what I want, but was a gross overstatement. But I respect you calling me out on that. I humbly retract my statement.

No they shouldn't. No one does that anywhere, and it would completely alienate the donor base and season ticket holders that sit there even more than they currently are.

I do agree with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom