Casual fan encounter | Syracusefan.com

Casual fan encounter

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
There is a lot (as in way too much) talk on this board about attendance, specifically the casual fan/students and how to get them to the game. I was at the dermatologist this morning and my nurse asked me if I was going to the game. I said yes. She asked if Pitt is any good, I said they are beatable. She was a little taken aback by the comment. She was under the impression we were going to get destroyed. She then stated she thinks she plans on going to the game. I mentioned we were actually favored by a point.

Here is the point of this post: her response-- "wow im surprised, it'll be worth it to go if it's a close game but if we were going to get crushed I figured might as well stay home and watch from the couch."

Also, the axe man was talking about the su athletic dept and ticket sales. Basically saying no matter how you slice it, it is ALWAYS more convenient to watch from the living room drinking cheap beer. A guy, who used to have season ticks, called in and said this afternoon he went to the box office to get two tickets at the 30 yard line in the lower section. $180. He didn't get them.

Can you really blame both of these people?

I don't blame them. I blame SU for not running the slogan "Hey come to the game, it might be close."

I do think the lower level ticket prices are out of whack, which is why they are never full. If they don't sell the tix, they should let people move up to sit there halfway through the 2nd quarter.

I don't blame them. I blame SU for not running the slogan "Hey come to the game, it might be close."

I do think the lower level ticket prices are out of whack, which is why they are never full. If they don't sell the tix, they should let people move up to sit there halfway through the 2nd quarter.
No they shouldn't. No one does that anywhere, and it would completely alienate the donor base and season ticket holders that sit there even more than they currently are.

Did you at least invite her to the Fine Mess tailgate ? Maybe she has some friends ;)

No they shouldn't. No one does that anywhere, and it would completely alienate the donor base and season ticket holders that sit there even more than they currently are.

They are doing so well with the donor base filling those seats.:noidea: Have you seen the stands between the 10s in the last 8 years? I have a friend who is going up from NYC this weekend to visit his daughter, who is a freshman. I asked him where his seats were and he said lower level sideline. Do you know where my family's tix were for Parents weekend when I was a freshman ('87)? Mezzanine end zone, last row - vs Colgate! The only bad seats in the Dome.

Don't give me this "no one does that anymore" nonsense when all of the modern tricks we use now don't work for spit! SU can't rely on doing what other programs do, because it doesn't work here.

I don't really want to turn this into another one of "those threads" but the whole "nobody does that" really grinds my gears, to quote Peter Griffin.

They are doing so well with the donor base filling those seats.:noidea: Have you seen the stands between the 10s in the last 8 years? I have a friend who is going up from NYC this weekend to visit his daughter, who is a freshman. I asked him where his seats were and he said lower level sideline. Do you know where my family's tix were for Parents weekend when I was a freshman ('87)? Mezzanine end zone, last row - vs Colgate! The only bad seats in the Dome.

Don't give me this "no one does that anymore" nonsense when all of the modern tricks we use now don't work for spit! SU can't rely on doing what other programs do, because it doesn't work here.

I don't really want to turn this into another one of "those threads" but the whole "nobody does that" really grinds my gears, to quote Peter Griffin.
The fact is that no stadium goes around the upper decks telling fans to go ahead and move down to the lower level if they want. That's what I was saying no one does.

i still don't understand the point of your post. Does anyone really argue about "casual" fans that have no vested interest or knowledge of the program? We will get a couple thousand casual fans walk up every single game regardless.

Some tixs are out of whack because they charge for the seat + the prorated cost of the donation. Its hard to make a donor pay big bucks and then sell the seat next to him for $40. The problem isn't just single game sales but also preferred seasons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

There is a lot (as in way too much) talk on this board about attendance, specifically the casual fan/students and how to get them to the game. I was at the dermatologist this morning and my nurse asked me if I was going to the game. I said yes. She asked if Pitt is any good, I said they are beatable. She was a little taken aback by the comment. She was under the impression we were going to get destroyed. She then stated she thinks she plans on going to the game. I mentioned we were actually favored by a point.

Here is the point of this post: her response-- "wow im surprised, it'll be worth it to go if it's a close game but if we were going to get crushed I figured might as well stay home and watch from the couch."

Also, the axe man was talking about the su athletic dept and ticket sales. Basically saying no matter how you slice it, it is ALWAYS more convenient to watch from the living room drinking cheap beer. A guy, who used to have season ticks, called in and said this afternoon he went to the box office to get two tickets at the 30 yard line in the lower section. $180. He didn't get them.

Can you really blame both of these people?
If I'm going to a game, I'm looking for the one where I think that SU has a chance at winning

The person you spoke with is actually more knowledgeable then most casual fans. A majority of them don't even know there is a game Friday and they definitely aren't planning on going. Kudos to that woman for at least considering going to the game.

Some people in Syracuse don't even know we have a football program anymore. So many leaves, so little time.

Some tixs are out of whack because they charge for the seat + the prorated coat of the donation. Its hard to make a donor pay big bucks and then sell the seat next to him for $40. The problem isn't just single game sales but also preferred seasons.

I think the price for season tix down there are out of whack too. I don't think taxing the rich ever works well, in life and in sports.:)

Will Romney give rich people like me vouchers for syracuse sporting events? I sure hope so. Oh wait..im the working poor.

A guy, who used to have season ticks, called in and said this afternoon he went to the box office to get two tickets at the 30 yard line in the lower section. $180. He didn't get them.

That is insane.

$90 a pop for seats on the 30?!

In Syracuse?!

Some tixs are out of whack because they charge for the seat + the prorated coat of the donation. Its hard to make a donor pay big bucks and then sell the seat next to him for $40. The problem isn't just single game sales but also preferred seasons.

Time for SU to adjust the size/scope of preferred seating

Damn reading the heading I was hoping that this was going to be a story based on his meeting a female fan in the Casual Encounters section of Craigs List.;) I can imagine something along the lines of "I was driving through Georgia and stop to fill-up my car and the next thing you know these two girls pull up and ask if I'm an SU fan ..."

Damn reading the heading I was hoping that this was going to be a story based on his meeting a female fan in the Casual Encounters section of Craigs List.;) I can imagine something along the lines of "I was driving through Georgia and stop to fill-up my car and the next thing you know these two girls pull up and ask if I'm an SU fan ..."

Ironically enough that happened to me after I crossed the state line just past Bristol Tennesee ... right on I-75 ... I flashed my student ID and it was all downhill ...

yes i can blame these people for not wanting to go to the game. Even if they lose its something to do in this i call syracuse. My buddy who used to go to the games with me would rather stay home and play borderlands 2. A guy a work whos says hes a big fan decided he would rather watch at his old mans house than try to get free tickets from a drawing at work. gimme a break.

Did you at least invite her to the Fine Mess tailgate ? Maybe she has some friends ;)

I wish I could tell you she was hot, I really do, but...woof.

i still don't understand the point of your post. Does anyone really argue about "casual" fans that have no vested interest or knowledge of the program? We will get a couple thousand casual fans walk up every single game regardless.

Pretty much after every game?

So...coddle the fairweathers that dont show up and shaft the diehards that go every game?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom