Catching Up With Former Orange Great Qadry Ismail | Syracusefan.com

Catching Up With Former Orange Great Qadry Ismail

One of the weirdest things I remember from Qadry's playing days here, was when he said that he didn't put his knee down in the end zone on touchbacks -- implying it would be an act of defeat. I always thought that if I played for the other team, I'd tell the ref before the kick off, "This guy says he doesn't touch his knee to the ground, so I plan to pop him." Then sprint up on the kickoff, start to slow down as I got close, wait for him to do that little "almost touch the knee thing" and BAM! :cool:

Great interview. Is it safe to say Qadry isn't on the Nassib bandwagon?

Safe to say Qadry is a big Coach DM fan.

Nice piece for one of my personal favorites. My very first game to witness in the Dome Quadry caught a laid-out amazing grab at the one or so coming right at me.

I proudly recall winning a best of 5 9-ball series 3-1 back in Goldstein in the spring of 1993 while discussing with how his younger brother "the bomb"
would be the best of the three.

He was another SU football player who married an SU womens' basketball player. He married Holly Ostrander, former SU center. Wonder if they had any children, are still together ...

One of my all time favorites and the main reason why I'm a Vikings fan today.

Thanks Mark. Nice read. Their daughter is a 6'0 freshman. Should be interesting to watch her high school career and see if she's on SU's radar.

A group of about 20 of us sat in the top two rows of Section 334 (15 yard line behind SU bench) and during his senior year we created the Missile Meter. Huge sign that said MISSLE METER (yes we spelled it incorrectly and didn't realize it until the last game of the year). We attached three hooks to the wall of the dome and had big numbers on poster board and tracked his all purpose yardage and touchdowns for each home game. He noticed after the first game and started pointing up to us before he returned kickoffs in that end zone.

Thanks Mark. Nice read. Their daughter is a 6'0 freshman. Should be interesting to watch her high school career and see if she's on SU's radar.

Is she "The ICBM?"

My favorite Qadry moment was when he conducted the marching band during the game down at the Vet when the starters were pulled in the 4th after whooping up on Temple for 3 quarters. The coaches were pissssssed, but it was hysterical.

My wife still has a Sour Sitrus Society jersey with Qadry's autograph on it. Been meaning to frame that for years, this thread is a great reminder!