Cater facing prison for burglary spree | Syracusefan.com

Cater facing prison for burglary spree

A kid ruins his life, for what, a couple of tvs? It's nutty. I'm curious why the judge felt like time in the state pen was necessary. Seems to me that it's over-punishment.

A kid ruins his life, for what, a couple of tvs? It's nutty. I'm curious why the judge felt like time in the state pen was necessary. Seems to me that it's over-punishment.
because he deserves prison time.

gave away a 200k education for a couple of hd tvs...

Does appear harsh, especially if he was a first time offender...we are only talking about material property with no physical personal injury to anyone. May have been better served doing community type service and placed on probation. If he were to violate that...then throw him in the slammer. He's more likely now to be a repeat offender/menace to society with little to no apparent hope for any productive future...

Question. If he does time and gets out in a year does he land a full ride to college and if so would SU ever take him back?

Wow, seems harsh to me - did he have a weapon on him or something?

i dont feel bad for people who commit crimes/felonies
Yikes!

Not knowing his situation that's harsh. Easy to state and administer, but harsh.

If this is his first real screw-up you'd like to think that there's a way to punish him, give him a good wake up call and whatever else is needed to give him a meaningful second chance. 1-3 years in the state penitentiary may just do the exact opposite.

On the other hand if he's got similar previous issues that the Orange staff didn't know about then this is probably warranted.

Yikes!

Not knowing his situation that's harsh. Easy to state and administer, but harsh.

If this is his first real screw-up you'd like to think that there's a way to punish him, give him a good wake up call and whatever else is needed to give him a meaningful second chance. 1-3 years in the state penitentiary may just do the exact opposite.

On the other hand if he's got similar previous issues that the Orange staff didn't know about then this is probably warranted.

i dont think this was his first run in with the law!

I think he had been in trouble before coming here which was the reason his parents wanted him to get away from long island and rutgers. If he were a first time offender, I'm sure the penalty would have been less harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he had been in trouble before coming here which was the reason his parents wanted him to get away from long island and rutgers. If he were a first time offender, I'm sure the penalty would have been less harsh.

yes, hence the harsh or not sentence.

he had lived in a home for troubled youth. so you are correct. part of his problem was his parents who i think were both druggies, thus the uncle in his life. kid didn't have much of a chance growing up, but football gave him a chance and he blew it.

I'm sorry it happened, but I can't say the plea and sentence is harsh. First, he pled to Burglary 3rd's which are non-violent D Felonies. He committed Burglary 2nd's which are class C Violent Felonies (for breaking into a "dwelling", i.e., someone's home). Burglary 2nd's are considered violent because they are assaults/murders waiting to happen if the resident is home at the time of the break-in. So, with his likely juvenile history (which would be in the pre-sentence report) and the trust that was violated in this case, you can make an argument that he got off pretty light.

Now, from here I hope he straightens his life out and becomes a stellar citizen. He's being punished, not given a scarlet letter.