Class of 2015 - CB Antonio "Speedy" Howard (FL) Verbal to WVU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 CB Antonio "Speedy" Howard (FL) Verbal to WVU

it'll never happen

Poor ba$tards. They had a nice BCS run last decade and their basketball program is respectable. Oh well, leave the past in the past.

Poor ba$tards. They had a nice BCS run last decade and their basketball program is respectable. Oh well, leave the past in the past.
If WVU's academics kept them out of the ACC, there's no way Cincy's would get in. (Among other obvious factors)

If WVU's academics kept them out of the ACC, there's no way Cincy's would get in. (Among other obvious factors)

I was unaware that Cincinnati was worse off than WVU academically, pathetic.

The mighty Brazilian Fabricio Melo got into Syracuse haha

At least Melo had the excuse of language barrier ... of course it doesn't explain all the idiots at UConn that said he failed Spanish ... they are bigger morons than he ever was.

At least Melo had the excuse of language barrier ... of course it doesn't explain all the idiots at UConn that said he failed Spanish ... they are bigger morons than he ever was.

LOL maybe because they speak Portugese in Brazil.

Last edited:

Excuses end up looking pretty lame when you spend every night at Chuck's

Excuses end up looking pretty lame when you spend every night at Chuck's

I never said he was completely justified, but tell me how many languages do you speak ... and I'm willing to bet your native language is English right? Try going to a school in Brazil and let me know how you do.

I never said he was completely justified, but tell me how many languages do you speak ... and I'm willing to bet your native language is English right? Try going to a school in Brazil and let me know how you do.

Sure he faced a language barrier. But this kid had the privilege to leave Brazil and go to a world class educational establishment, Syracuse University. He even got to go there for free to play basketball. Sure he faced the pressure of being a top 5 recruit also. But at some point; self discipline, self respect and integrity comes in to play. He had the opportunity of a lifetime, and crumbled.

He had every opportunity to become an NBA worthy player, earn the respect of fans, apply himself and succeed in class, and to be an upstanding citizen.

Sure he faced a language barrier. But this kid had the privilege to leave Brazil and go to a world class educational establishment, Syracuse University. He even got to go there for free to play basketball. Sure he faced the pressure of being a top 5 recruit also. But at some point; self discipline, self respect and integrity comes in to play. He had the opportunity of a lifetime, and crumbled.

And he signed a pro contract and gets paid to play ball ... what are you doing right now? Yep thought so.

Seriously, are you really discounting a language barrier? Tutoring can only help you so much.

And he signed a pro contract and gets paid to play ball ... what are you doing right now? Yep thought so.

So did Lane Stephenson, and he's still in the NBA.

The kid definitely faced a language barrier and the difficulties of dealing with a new culture, but his off the court behavior cannot be excused. Many kids come from a different culture/different 1st language and don't spend all their time in bars or in domestic disputes. He is indeed getting paid to play pro ball, but you have to admit it will be a shock if that lasts long. I wish the kid nothing but success, but... we shall see

Seriously, are you really discounting a language barrier? Tutoring can only help you so much.

I find it hard to believe that Syracuse didn't provide a top 5 recruit with the ability to successfully graduate, if not easily. I'm not discounting the fact that a language barrier is a serious road bump/issue. I'm just saying that, undoubtedly, the University would've done it's all to provide him with the ability to pass if he was compliant. He was a major part of our season his sophomore year, you can't tell me SU wouldn't have jumped through loops and pulled some strings to help him overcome said language barrier and pass.

I find it hard to believe that Syracuse didn't provide a top 5 recruit with the ability to successfully graduate, if not easily. I'm not discounting the fact that a language barrier is a serious road bump/issue. I'm just saying that, undoubtedly, the University would've done it's all to provide him with the ability to pass if he was compliant. He was a major part of our season his sophomore year, you can't tell me SU wouldn't have jumped through loops and pulled some strings to help him overcome said language barrier and pass.
UNC pulled a lot of strings and they are in a lot of hot water because of it. Fact of the matter is Syracuse did everything to their ability but some things just can't be overcome.

Now lets get back to Speedy Howard.

You can lead a horse to water ... but you know the rest. They can't force him to learn, if he shuts down for whatever reason they can't do much about it. I'm not saying Fab was perfect but 1 bad apple doesn't describe an entire student body either ... however I will say both the education levels at Cincy and WVU leave a lot to be desired unless you are involved in 1 or 2 very specific disciplines ... or in the case of some of these athletes no discipline at all :)

UNC pulled a lot of strings and they are in a lot of hot water because of it. Fact of the matter is Syracuse did everything to their ability but some things just can't be overcome.

Now lets get back to Speedy Howard.

I didn't mean anything UNC like, but I agree.

I can imagine only a few things I'd rather preempt football recruiting talk with - and the studying habits of a drunk Brazilian basketball flameout is not one.

Respectfully submitted ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom