Class of 2020 - CB Chase Atkinson (SC) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (7/31/19) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 CB Chase Atkinson (SC) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (7/31/19)

Thanks everyone for letting me know kids get taller. ;)

I know some things have become off limits but it’s a valid observation leading one to wonder why he only has one offer from Coastal Carolina and for as much as Deion thinks “that kid is a dawg!”, SC didn’t offer him after camp.

We dipped in the water first so now I expect some other schools to take a closer look but still.

6’-0”

Which is probably 5’10”-11” let’s be real
Eh, with the helmet I'd guess he's over 6 at least.

I want to say on my highschool football program I was listed as 5'10" 200. I was 5'7" 170 at the time, maybe.

Thanks everyone for letting me know kids get taller. ;)

I know some things have become off limits but it’s a valid observation leading one to wonder why he only has one offer from Coastal Carolina and for as much as Deion thinks “that kid is a dawg!”, SC didn’t offer him after camp.

We dipped in the water first so now I expect some other schools to take a closer look but still.

USCe might have already had their quota of CB's, and/or guys rated higher on their board, so he wasn't a TAKE for them at that time.

And maybe he hasn't been to many/any other camps since then.

I'm 144% sold on any and all camp offers and takes from this staff.
I don't need faith, I have plenty of evidence.

I wonder if Chase and Robert Braswell know each other since they’re from the same area.

More importantly how well does he know the Burrell brothers who had one comment on his committed to SU.

Eh, with the helmet I'd guess he's over 6 at least.
5B96E556-01FA-4265-834B-A1367EC0154A.jpeg

USCe might have already had their quota of CB's, and/or guys rated higher on their board, so he wasn't a TAKE for them at that time.

The tangible results from HCDFnB have been steady and consistent.
There were plenty of naysayers 3 years ago when he told us where he wanted to take the program.
Now, "faith w/out evidence" has morphed into "the proof is in the pudding".
Today, can anyone doubt that there IS a path to a NC through the ACC Atlantic? Was that thought even fathomable 3 years ago? You'd have been laughed off the board to even suggest such a scenario.
Bottomline, If they think this kid is worth it, then I'm all in...recruiting offers and ratings be damned!

Wonder if this kid was a B-Lister for Clemson/South Carolina... hard to believe a kid from a AAAAA school would be unnoticed. Unless he was hurt or playing behind another stud.

Regardless, I wouldn't care if we got 25 camp kids honestly. With this staff, I trust that they're evaluating who they need to and getting what we need.
I think we actually will get almost all camp kids. I think Dino has said kids must come camp to make their offers committable and in part it is to test out how those players match up against each other and other camp players like Atkinson. Obviously always going to have a few late additions to classes that’s why I say almost all camp kids and not all camp kids. But I totally agree with you in terms of trusting the staff on this kid vs another CB. If we can find what we want with kids camping I’m all for it even if the offer lists aren’t elite.

Last edited:

Not dis-agreeing at all just curious if anyone has a list of players from past years that camped vs those who didn’t camp to compare. I like to look back at these types of things and would be interesting not just in elite/starter potential on one end, but also retention rate and how many kids transfer out of campers vs non campers on the other side of things. I know this isn’t exactly readily available and easy to pull data but if anyone remembers a few specific campers from the Babers era I would be interested in hearing a few or all names if possible.

I love camp offers from this staff. They are excellent at identifying talent. They know the type of player both physically and mentally that will fit. As far as im concerned the more kids we land via camp offers the better.

4.79 40 yd dash and listed as an OG. Not sure how accurate these things are.

tenor.gif

Appears to have hit a later growth spurt where size and speed kept him off recruiting radar locally prior. Presume Clemson and the likes have most top local kids targeted by 10th grade. Their loss, our gain

Him only having Coastal Carolina as an offer is nothing to be concerned about. Plenty of times the early bird gets the worm and also plenty of times the early bird identifies the worm and still looses out. Here is an update on some of the more recent de-commitments to date:
2019 class (last year):
Neil Nunn: ultimately re-committed to us
Nazir Burnett: headed to Georgia Tech to play WR in a system moving away from the triple option understandable like Gowdy
Dorian Hewit: headed to USC after being all state on a 6a state championship team in Texas
2018 class:
Tyrone Sampson: Projected as the starting center for Fresno State as a R-Fr.
Hassan Hall: Projected as the Louisville starting RB
Ja’Quirius Smith: Projected as the backup Purdue MLB
2017 class:
Josh Palmer: Projected as a Tennessee starting WR
Daewood Davis: Projected as an Oregon starting WR
Isiah McDuffie: Projected as a Boston College starting SLB
BJ Daniels: Projected as the 2nd string RB at UTSA (Texas at San Antonio)
Keirston Johnson: Played sparingly at LB for USF and currently transferring to Stony Brook

The 2016 class was started by Shafer and finished by Babers so it’s not a complete list, but the point is what has come to SU under Babers produced a 10 win season last year and a promising, deep team for this coming season and every former commit that didn’t make it to our campus more or less also succeeded, so trust Babers & Co. and don’t read into him only having a Coastal offer. A committable Babers offer is as good as 3 stars in my book.

There can only be so many openings left for the DB slots and there is no doubt in my mind the staff thought Chase was a take right now instead of waiting for any other HS DB's to decide. Others will come a calling with offers and like all the talented HS players this staff has had commit it'll be a battle to keep them and get them to sign in December. This staff can identify talent and other schools are recognizing that.

Him only having Coastal Carolina as an offer is nothing to be concerned about. Plenty of times the early bird gets the worm and also plenty of times the early bird identifies the worm and still looses out. Here is an update on some of the more recent de-commitments to date:
2019 class (last year):
Neil Nunn: ultimately re-committed to us
Nazir Burnett: headed to Georgia Tech to play WR in a system moving away from the triple option understandable like Gowdy
Dorian Hewit: headed to USC after being all state on a 6a state championship team in Texas
2018 class:
Tyrone Sampson: Projected as the starting center for Fresno State as a R-Fr.
Hassan Hall: Projected as the Louisville starting RB
Ja’Quirius Smith: Projected as the backup Purdue MLB
2017 class:
Josh Palmer: Projected as a Tennessee starting WR
Daewood Davis: Projected as an Oregon starting WR
Isiah McDuffie: Projected as a Boston College starting SLB
BJ Daniels: Projected as the 2nd string RB at UTSA (Texas at San Antonio)
Keirston Johnson: Played sparingly at LB for USF and currently transferring to Stony Brook

The 2016 class was started by Shafer and finished by Babers so it’s not a complete list, but the point is what has come to SU under Babers produced a 10 win season last year and a promising, deep team for this coming season and every former commit that didn’t make it to our campus more or less also succeeded, so trust Babers & Co. and don’t read into him only having a Coastal offer. A committable Babers offer is as good as 3 stars in my book.
Very much THIS!^^^
Before last year the worrywarts had ammunition to be concerned. But after a 10-win season, you’d think HCDFnB & co. would’ve earned a little benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to talent evaluation and development.
I remember last year when Jarveon Howard was picked up late out of Alabama, I believe. Same doubters: “How come Auburn or Bama didn’t offer? Why only a 3-star? Is this a last minute fill-in to round out the class”? Yet, there was Howard as our goal line FB w/ infinite potential out the ying-yang!
So, all due respect but I’ll keep my faith & trust where it rightfully belongs, with HCDFnB and staff, as opposed to the hyper-reactive recruiting Nostradamus’ on this board. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom