Class of 2014 - CB Michael Johnson Jr (FL) Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 CB Michael Johnson Jr (FL) Offered

Has had a Florida St offer for over two months. Gonna be an uphill battle.

Was offered by Louisville 3 months ago, wondering why it took us so long to offer a kid that was offered by our competitors a while ago.

Was offered by Louisville 3 months ago, wondering why it took us so long to offer a kid that was offered by our competitors a while ago.
because we recruit based on our evaluations and how a player fits our system, not what other schools do.

3 months ago was February 21, or roughly 2 weeks after LOI day. Our guys worked their butts off right up to LOI day to finish out last year's class.

The horror! We didn't offer someone 2 weeks after LOI day, when the staff was identifying what their needs were and seeing what was out there, after a hectic month of last-second recruiting. I mean, seriously.

because we recruit based on our evaluations and how a player fits our system, not what other schools do.

But clearly we think enough of our evaluation to offer him, so I'm kind of just wondering why it took so long to review film on him because I would have thought we were watching these guys during their season, when we weren't worried about Doug Marrone leaving. I mean, McDonald must know about these kids before he gets around to watching film based on his previous coaching locations.

3 months ago was February 21, or roughly 2 weeks after LOI day. Our guys worked their butts off right up to LOI day to finish out last year's class.

The horror! We didn't offer someone 2 weeks after LOI day, when the staff was identifying what their needs were and seeing what was out there, after a hectic month of last-second recruiting. I mean, seriously.

No need to be a huge dick javadoc. Also, 3 months is a pretty long time. Not saying we needed to offer at the exact same time as Louisville, but 1/4 of a year I'd say was a pretty long time to figure out needs. And it's not even like we signed or lost a great corner, so that was an area of need regardless of what happened at the last second. Only takes a few minutes to let a kid know he has an offer, but I do agree with you after your post that we had bigger fish to fry 3 months ago. I made such a dumb mistake with my timing between the offer and National Signing Day. OH THE HORROR!!!

No need to be a huge dick javadoc. Also, 3 months is a pretty long time. Not saying we needed to offer at the exact same time as Louisville, but 1/4 of a year I'd say was a pretty long time to figure out needs. And it's not even like we signed or lost a great corner, so that was an area of need regardless of what happened at the last second. Only takes a few minutes to let a kid know he has an offer, but I do agree with you after your post that we had bigger fish to fry 3 months ago. I made such a dumb mistake with my timing between the offer and National Signing Day. OH THE HORROR!!!
Another thing to look at is how many offers we have tendered in the last couple months. We're offering a ton of kids every week, and the order in which kids are offered is not necessarily relevant at this point. You can't offer everyone in a single week, or even month, especially if there is some evaluation that has to happen.

As a counterexample, I would cite Chauncey Scissum. Shafer knew he wanted this kid. As soon as it was his call, he went out and got him, as a priority. I have confidence in the staff and the way they go about recruiting.

Are you considering the staff was brand new. had no idea what he team needs were or the talent level. their first priority coming off loi day was the current team and planning spring practice. Recruiting has amped up after the staffs first spring together.

It might take another year but thats the price that's paid when you have a major staff overhaul. A foundation is being re-laid and we'll hopefully see that pay off as bonds are formed with soon to be juniors.

Are you considering the staff was brand new. had no idea what he team needs were or the talent level. their first priority coming off loi day was the current team and planning spring practice. Recruiting has amped up after the staffs first spring together.

It might take another year but thats the price that's paid when you have a major staff overhaul. A foundation is being re-laid and we'll hopefully see that pay off as bonds are formed with soon to be juniors.

I understand they were a new staff. This all got blown out of proportion. The main point I was making from my origina post is that chances are very slim we get him based on that Florida St offer and due to our competition having a leg up on us based on the tardiness of the offer compared to them, I do wish we offered him earlier, even though to everyone else that was seemingly impossible with the staff turnover. You all made valid points that have made me realize that we can't get to everyone immediately because the staff didn't realize we'd want to offer cornerbacks from the southeast.

I understand they were a new staff. This all got blown out of proportion. The main point I was making from my origina post is that chances are very slim we get him based on that Florida St offer and due to our competition having a leg up on us based on the tardiness of the offer compared to them, I do wish we offered him earlier, even though to everyone else that was seemingly impossible with the staff turnover. You all made valid points that have made me realize that we can't get to everyone immediately because the staff didn't realize we'd want to offer cornerbacks from the southeast.

I am glad this SU coaching staff doesn't have the attitude that we won't get kids or have a "slim chance" because they are offered by schools like Fl St. and Louisville before us. They still believe that we can get them regardless and will work their asses off to prove to these kids that SU is the right place to be.

If this staff believed that we didn't have a chance, we wouldn't have offered 75% of the kids that have offers from SU right now. I hate a negative defeatist attitude.

I'd assume that the coaches communicated to these kids exactly what java and phat described. It was probably conveyed to these prospects that, as a new staff they were scrambling to get settled in, so back then they had to delay the process.

I am glad this SU coaching staff doesn't have the attitude that we won't get kids or have a "slim chance" because they are offered by schools like Fl St. and Louisville before us. They still believe that we can get them regardless and will work their asses off to prove to these kids that SU is the right place to be.

If this staff believed that we didn't have a chance, we wouldn't have offered 75% of the kids that have offers from SU right now. I hate a negative defeatist attitude.
It's more like a realist attitude but I see how you can get the concepts misconstrued

It's more like a realist attitude but I see how you can get the concepts misconstrued

How is that a realist attitude? Based on what information? Do you think you know the state of mind of a 17 year old kid that is going into his senior year of high school? Do you think you know what he deems as important to getting an education or working with any specific staff? Maybe the coaches should check with you to know who they should be recruiting and why.

How is that a realist attitude? Based on what information? Do you think you know the state of mind of a 17 year old kid that is going into his senior year of high school? Do you think you know what he deems as important to getting an education or working with any specific staff? Maybe the coaches should check with you to know who they should be recruiting and why.

I believe it's pretty realistic to think that a kid from Florida who has an offer from Florida St does not have a great percentage to pick Syracuse. And although it may be crazy to think, I do know the state of mind of a 17 year old in high school because I was 17 just a few years ago. And seeing how I just graduated from Syracuse a week ago, if I had to do it all over again I would probably pick a school down south with a higher educational ranking than Syracuse. Most 17 year olds think about the limelight, women, weather, and the pros. Otherwise, we would be getting more recruits that have the talent to go to Florida St. If they wanted a good education and had the talent to get an offer, they'd go to Duke, UNC, Northwestern, Stanford, Virginia, etc... Schools that are way better than Syracuse academically but basically still recruit the same level of talent we do. And although we have been on an impressive streak getting guys to the NFL, Florida St has that stigma around them that they can do it better, even if it's not true.

I can see I''m getting everyone ticked off because I have a different opinion than most based on our recruiting, so I'm just not going to respond on this thread anymore to let the tension and hostility die down. Sorry for voicing my opinions on our recruiting style against Florida St and Louisville. Won't happen again

I can see I''m getting everyone ticked off because I have a different opinion than most based on our recruiting, so I'm just not going to respond on this thread anymore to let the tension and hostility die down. Sorry for voicing my opinions on our recruiting style against Florida St and Louisville. Won't happen again

People get ticked off because you started this thread off bashing the new coaching staff because they weren't on some kid 3 months ago in Florida when they had been on the job collectively for maybe a month at that time and were scrambling to finish up the 2013 class. Your unrealistic expectations and unwarranted criticism based on those unrealistic expectations was Strike 1.

Then you follow that up with trying to justify that garbage with the whole "I'm a realist" aka "I'm so much smarter than everyone else that I'm the only one that sees things the way I do" disclaimer. Strike 2.

Now you follow that up by bashing Syracuse as a school and doing your best Justin Beiber crybaby impersonation. That sounds like a great way to ingratiate yourself with the community here. Strike 3.

You're out.

I believe it's pretty realistic to think that a kid from Florida who has an offer from Florida St does not have a great percentage to pick Syracuse. And although it may be crazy to think, I do know the state of mind of a 17 year old in high school because I was 17 just a few years ago. And seeing how I just graduated from Syracuse a week ago, if I had to do it all over again I would probably pick a school down south with a higher educational ranking than Syracuse. Most 17 year olds think about the limelight, women, weather, and the pros. Otherwise, we would be getting more recruits that have the talent to go to Florida St. If they wanted a good education and had the talent to get an offer, they'd go to Duke, UNC, Northwestern, Stanford, Virginia, etc... Schools that are way better than Syracuse academically but basically still recruit the same level of talent we do. And although we have been on an impressive streak getting guys to the NFL, Florida St has that stigma around them that they can do it better, even if it's not true.

No offense - but the education you just received had the potential to be very good. As a fellow alum with real life experience tacked on - it's up to you to make the most of it.

No southern school is going to help that. There's not that much separating the top schools. The biggest determining factor is you.

A realist attitude would be after we lose to Florida State, saying that we lost. A defeatist attitude is saying we lost or have no chance before the race has begun, like you did.

See the difference?

Best post I've read since I've been on this forum! I think it speaks volumes!

People get ticked off because you started this thread off bashing the new coaching staff because they weren't on some kid 3 months ago in Florida when they had been on the job collectively for maybe a month at that time and were scrambling to finish up the 2013 class. Your unrealistic expectations and unwarranted criticism based on those unrealistic expectations was Strike 1.

Then you follow that up with trying to justify that garbage with the whole "I'm a realist" aka "I'm so much smarter than everyone else that I'm the only one that sees things the way I do" disclaimer. Strike 2.

Now you follow that up by bashing Syracuse as a school and doing your best Justin Beiber crybaby impersonation. That sounds like a great way to ingratiate yourself with the community here. Strike 3.

You're out.
I know I said I wouldn't respond, but I just want to say that I love this new staff and think they have potential to be great for this university. Second, I never said I am smarter than anyone, just said I have a different opinion. I think I'm a realist, you guys are mostly optimists. Nothing wrong with either, as I get stuff wrong sometimes with my viewpoint. Third, never bashed Syracuse, just said it's not on the same academic level as many schools that recruit on our level and are also in the ACC. So although I may have struck out with you guys on my first at bat, I should be guaranteed a few more innings (Might as well keep up with the pun) to either get in your good graces, or screw up again. I'm thinking I'll watch what I post here because I'd rather be a member of the SU football community that actually loves football as opposed to all the students I just spent 4 years with who don't know we play sports in the fall.

I know I said I wouldn't respond, but I just want to say that I love this new staff and think they have potential to be great for this university. Second, I never said I am smarter than anyone, just said I have a different opinion. I think I'm a realist, you guys are mostly optimists. Nothing wrong with either, as I get stuff wrong sometimes with my viewpoint. Third, never bashed Syracuse, just said it's not on the same academic level as many schools that recruit on our level and are also in the ACC. So although I may have struck out with you guys on my first at bat, I should be guaranteed a few more innings (Might as well keep up with the pun) to either get in your good graces, or screw up again. I'm thinking I'll watch what I post here because I'd rather be a member of the SU football community that actually loves football as opposed to all the students I just spent 4 years with who don't know we play sports in the fall.

Good post. Please keep posting, everyone deserves a second chance. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, just know that if you post harsh perspectives and you don't consider all the angles before you do you will get slammed.

Just a bit of advice - if you see guys like EDSPARTEN and the squeeze guy liking your posts, you're headed down the wrong road.

Good post. Please keep posting, everyone deserves a second chance. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, just know that if you post harsh perspectives and you don't consider all the angles before you do you will get slammed.

Just a bit of advice - if you see guys like EDSPARTEN and the squeeze guy liking your posts, you're headed down the wrong road.
You read my mind...well said. Don't need additional tool boxes posting here.

Thanks for the heads up