Class of 2025 - CB/WR Demetres Samuel (FL) Flipped to Florida (7/31/24) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 CB/WR Demetres Samuel (FL) Flipped to Florida (7/31/24)

Maybe the staff knew this would eventually happen but they were willing to accept his "commitment" to help get some momentum in the recruiting class. He used us to get offers he wanted, we used him to lure in some other higher profile recruits. No harm no foul.

I don't mind a kid decommitting. Sometimes you find a place that you like better. But this rubs me wrong. If he did say something like this, it means he was never serious about coming here. We were just a placeholder until something better came along.
If this is the kid's attitude, I would highly doubt Fran would take him back if the opportunity arose.
I would have dropped him right then and there, especially if we’re trying to set the tone for a different culture.

I don't mind a kid decommitting. Sometimes you find a place that you like better. But this rubs me wrong. If he did say something like this, it means he was never serious about coming here. We were just a placeholder until something better came along.
If this is the kid's attitude, I would highly doubt Fran would take him back if the opportunity arose.
Well - that tells you a lot about him. Not a death sentence, but I wouldn't expect to see him in Syracuse Orange.

zDart crash decommit 2.JPG

there is a solid chance FL has a new coach next yr. things may change before signing day
Fran seems to be a man of his word, and expects the same from everyone around him.
Don't think he would accept a commitment from this player in the future.
How could you expect him to live up to the standards Fran lives by?
Time to move on from this player, and close the thread.

Fran seems to be a man of his word, and expects the same from everyone around him.
Don't think he would accept a commitment from this player in the future.
How could you expect him to live up to the standards Fran lives by?
Time to move on from this player, and close the thread.
Yeah it’s one thing to decide to go elsewhere or even flip. Hastings decided to go elsewhere but he was classy about it. Then when his position coach left, it worked out for him to reconnect with the staff here and ultimately come here.

Basically publically saying you’re using a commitment to Syracuse for attention is a really bad look.

Honestly, if this was the kid's sentiment the whole time, I'd rather him not even be here in the first place. In an era with little loyalty and accountability for young athletes it seems as if Fran is building a culture of the opposite. Whether Demetrius would have ended up fitting here or not I have no clue, but in the era of the portal and NIL I think there is an importance in having guys who are actually about the "S". Doesn't seem like this guy was about that. Guy will probably be looking for the next school in 1-2 years again anyways lol.
When you look at the personal standards of young adults, you see a living reflection of the environments in which they were raised. The “young athletes” have been immersed in our sports culture where the leaders and role models have taught them to look out for yourself.
The declared best coach in cfb history left the Dolphins in the middle of the season.
The best coach in NFL history left the Jets for the Pats after a couple of days.
Our FB staff all left their employers, leaving behind kids who thought the coach would be there with them.
About 50% of our children are raised in homes where parents didn’t keep their vows to each other.
Why do you expect the students to exhibit behaviors that are any different?

Last edited:
When you look at the personal standards of young adults, you see a living reflection of the environments in which they were raised. The “young athletes” have been immersed in our sports culture where the leaders and role models have taught them to look out for yourself.
The declared best coach in cfb history left the Dolphins in the middle of the season.
The best coach in NFL history left the Jets for the Pats after a couple of days.
Our FB staff all left their employers, leaving behind kids who thought the coach would be their with them.
About 50% of our children are raised in homes where parents don’t keep their vows to each other.
Yeah, I've come around to the opinion that holding 16 to 18 year old kids to standards of behavior adults can't live up to is foolish.

Yep. Because if he hits the portal it will mean he flamed out at UF and he won’t be the number whatever recruit. He’ll be a portal retread at that point. If he performs he has no reason to transfer here.
Sometimes guys want to transfer to a better program. Why wouldn't he want to transfer to the national champion?

I think we just need to change the terminology. We need to get rid of the word "commitment." Maybe a kid should simply say it's his current "intention" to go to a certain school. Once he signs his LOI he can be considered committed... until he enters his name in the portal a month later.

Yeah it’s one thing to decide to go elsewhere or even flip. Hastings decided to go elsewhere but he was classy about it. Then when his position coach left, it worked out for him to reconnect with the staff here and ultimately come here.

Basically publically saying you’re using a commitment to Syracuse for attention is a really bad look.
You do realize the “statement” is double or triple hearsay. The poster heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another, who could have been messing around.

Our FB staff all left their employers, leaving behind kids who thought the coach would be there with them.
About 50% of our children are raised in homes where parents didn’t keep their vows to each other.
I think you are right and that was part of my point in a way. Fran is trying to establish a program with core values that are contrary to a reflection of these environments. Hence why I questioned if the kid would have been a good fit here to begin with. Especially if he was openly bragging about using us to get what he really wanted. Once again, we obviously have no idea whether this was true or not, or anything about the kid at all really. But I don't think it is wrong to make the inference that IF that was truly his sentiment, we would be better off moving away from people like that given what we are trying to build.

You do realize the “statement” is double or triple hearsay. The poster heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another, who could have been messing around.
The poster heard it directly from a coach who heard it directly from Demetres. It’s second hand and we have no reason to think either were lying. Don’t be a drama queen.

Last edited:
The poster heard it directly from a coach who heard it directly from Demetres. It’s second hand and we have no reason to think either were lying. Don’t be a drama queen.
We all played the pass the message game in school. I am not doubting the OP is relaying what he heard. There is a reasons hearsay is not allowed in the court room: it is inherently unreliable.

Oh for sure I don’t think we get that running back from Pennsylvania that’s committed either that’s a 4 star
Why do you say that? Kind of different situations Florida guys and a kid from PA.

Why do you say that? Kind of different situations Florida guys and a kid from PA.
Only cause I saw on his Twitter the first official day 26 kids could be recruited he put his phone number and said coaches message me

He said it and I thin kFran is smart enough to avoid him in the future.
Florange44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom