CBS now says Compass | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CBS now says Compass

cool deal, I'll take it. I'll head to the game while the wife heads to the local spa and parks

Always wanted to hit that part of the country as if my memory serves Birmingham has quite a history with respect to civil rights. Gotta look at the silver lining on this one....
It was also a critical industrial city during WWII if I recall. Pretty much everything needed to make steel was right in the vicinity. I know they have a big statue of Vulcan on one of the ridges overlooking the city.

Birmingham is actually a pretty cool city. It's not NYC, but it's a better place to visit than you think.

Maybe that should be the city's tourism tagline: "it's a better place to visit than you think."

The crowd would be heavily, heavily favored towards Ole Miss, but I'm still confident in those of us that go that we can have our "LGO" chant heard on TV. Boom! ;)

oooh, that's close enough for a road trip for me, and extended one, but at least a lot cheaper than flying.

That wouldn't be so bad.
Would be nice to go 2 - 0 vs. the "mighty" SEC and to beat a team called the Rebels on their home turf, but when will we know where we're going? Do we have to wait for the made-for-TV event tonight?

Birmingham is actually a pretty cool city. It's not NYC, but it's a better place to visit than you think.

Maybe that should be the city's tourism tagline: "it's a better place to visit than you think."

Or "it's better than Greensboro"

ESPN has Syracuse in NYC vs. TCU.

Would be nice to go 2 - 0 vs. the "mighty" SEC and to beat a team called the Rebels on their home turf, but when will we know where we're going? Do we have to wait for the made-for-TV event tonight?
It should leak out before then. There will likely be a t-shirt ad in your inbox before the official announcement comes. :)

Other than the Orange Bowl, I wonder what bowl the kids would pick if they got a choice? Yes, I know it is not their choice, just wondering where they would like to go.

It was also a critical industrial city during WWII if I recall. Pretty much everything needed to make steel was right in the vicinity. I know they have a big statue of Vulcan on one of the ridges overlooking the city.

Birmingham's nickname is the Pittsburgh of the South. Send Pitt there and have the bowl committee play up that angle.

Somewhere warmer... Cam lynch coming out of temple game when asked where we bowling he said wants Orlando... So the warmer the better for them... For us fans stripe I can go to

Other than the Orange Bowl, I wonder what bowl the kids would pick if they got a choice? Yes, I know it is not their choice, just wondering where they would like to go.

Russell then Belk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I could have sworn I read somewhere that bowls were precluded or at least v strongly discouraged from choosing teams with .500 records over teams with winning records? It may have even been a quote from the pinstripe organizers? Am I imagining this?

My biggest issue with the Compass is honestly the timing. The post new years bowls that are not the bcs no one gives a about. Add nfl games to the mix, and u are talking an attendance and viewing disaster.

Plus good luck getting there out of hancock. Ugh.

As a two-time BBVA Compass Bowl veteran, I can tell you that Legion Field is, uh, historic in a, um, historic part of town...

I could have sworn I read somewhere that bowls were precluded or at least v strongly discouraged from choosing teams with .500 records over teams with winning records? It may have even been a quote from the pinstripe organizers? Am I imagining this?

My biggest issue with the Compass is honestly the timing. The post new years bowls that are not the bcs no one gives a **** about. Add nfl games to the mix, and u are talking an attendance and viewing disaster.

Plus good luck getting there out of hancock. Ugh.

A couple of things makes this not so bad if you want to spend minimal time in Birmingham:

Airfare after Jan 1st will be much better. Motels will be cheaper.
It is a Saturday game so you can fly out Thursday evening and return Sunday or Monday. You might only need 2 vacation days.
You will want to rent a car...so fly into Atlanta (nonstop) and rent a car there. Birmingham isn't too far of a drive.
Another option is to fly into Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach or Panama City...stay a few days on the Redneck Rivera or if you like golf play a few rounds of golf on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Bama or along the Gulf Coast.
Another option if you like Gambling...fly into Biloxi or Mobile
All these cities are no more than about 4 hours away.

Finally we are playing a beatable SEC team and Ole Miss fans are cool.

Edit: Our Pitt fan is correct...you'll want to get out of the Legion Field area quickly after the game concludes...the south part of town is real nice to stay. If we go there I'll give you some suggestions.

When you play an SEC games like this don't matter because you beat a bad SEC unless they lose to Bama/Georgia/usc/Florida then they are playing a tough SEC schedule. So in other words...Bama beats Mississippi, tough SEC win...SU beats Mississippi, they beat a bad SEC team.

I'd rather see SU in Russell or Pinstripe, given that the payout for these two is approximately double what we'd make at Compass / Beef / Belk.

I'd rather see SU in Russell or Pinstripe, given that the payout for these two is approximately double what we'd make at Compass / Beef / Belk.
No one is arguing that (I think)...just want to point out the Birmingham Bowl has a few under publicized advantages for traveling Cuse fans. The other good news is if it is Ole Miss...many of them will drive over to the game and back so hotels might not be as full.

However once announced...people need to book air travel, motel and car in that order...or book a air,motel, car package through expedia, etc...The tickets will be the last thing to worry about.

Another thing you can do before it is announced is reserve your air travel on a 24 hour hold right now and finalize it after it is announced. You can also book hotels and rental cars in advance and cancel without penalty in most cases. Just be smart and don't do prepaids, Hotwire, etc...prior to knowing where you are going.

It'd be sick to go beat another SEC team in SEC country. It'd be a pretty fitting final game of the season.

Last year, Orange was $17.5M, Champs/Russell was $2.325M, Pinstripe was $1.8M, Belk was $1.7M, Compass was $750k and Beef was $500k.

Pinstripe over Belk is not exactly double. The order in which the bowls pick is probably the proper order wrt desirability.

No one is arguing that (I think)...just want to point out the Birmingham Bowl has a few under publicized advantages for traveling Cuse fans. The other good news is if it is Ole Miss...many of them will drive over to the game and back so hotels might not be as full.

However once announced...people need to book air travel, motel and car in that order...or book a air,motel, car package through expedia, etc...The tickets will be the last thing to worry about.

Yeah, I wasn't "arguing" or responding to anyone's post in particular, just expressing my opinion.

For selfish reasons [as I will probably be in the NYC metro for the holidays], Pinstripe would be most ideal. But if that doesn't pan out, I'd prefer to see us make the higher payout to offset travel costs for the bowl.

Last year, Orange was $17.5M, Champs/Russell was $2.325M, Pinstripe was $1.8M, Belk was $1.7M, Compass was $750k and Beef was $500k.

Pinstripe over Belk is not exactly double. The order in which the bowls pick is probably the proper order wrt desirability.

Didn't realize Belk was that high--a listing I saw in the paper had their payout at $1M, which is what I was basing that opinion on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom