CBS Sport Blog...ACC ends by taking 3...FSU to Sec | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CBS Sport Blog...ACC ends by taking 3...FSU to Sec

Academics only matter if it's convenient. This scenario may be crap, but if FSU bolts (which I would guess it would for the right opportunity) and the ACC felt it needed more Florida presence, I sincerely doubt the academics would get in the way. If they don't feel they need USF, then we'll hear all about how the academics don't match up.

All this expansion is about the quality of the brand of the school, not households, not academics (although academics is part of a school's brand). That's why we and Pitt were picked over UConn and Rutgers for the ACC, up to this point. We are way better brands.

Losing Florida State to the SEC would really throw things into turmoil, and yes, the ACC would probably react by grabbing UConn (who I personally would like to leave behind in a deminished league).

I'm a little puzzled as to why the ACC would be interested in USF. University of San Francisco, yes. University of South Florida? No.

Yeah, they'd give a bit more presence in Florida for the ACC; but I draw blank when I think about USF athletics. Have they done something in basketball or football that I just haven't heard about?

Syracuse Uconn and rutgers.

Why not Cincy instead of rutgers. Seriously :bang:

So the plan was for SU to join the ACC and then help turn it into the BE?

I can make an argument for rutgers, but uconn and usf arejust stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I do not see the ACC going to 16 at this time unless ND joined - not likely.

If FSU left, I would still see 14 w UConn or Rutgers getting the invite for the open slot.

I do not see the ACC going to 16 at this time unless ND joined - not likely.

If FSU left, I would still see 14 w UConn or Rutgers getting the invite for the open slot.

Why take UConn or Rutgers in a reactionary manner....where are they going? If the ACC needs at some point to increase its size and better options aren't out there UConn and Rutgers will be available and if they aren't....is it really a huge loss?

All this expansion is about the quality of the brand of the school, not households, not academics (although academics is part of a school's brand). That's why we and Pitt were picked over UConn and Rutgers for the ACC, up to this point. We are way better brands.

Losing Florida State to the SEC would really throw things into turmoil, and yes, the ACC would probably react by grabbing UConn (who I personally would like to leave behind in a deminished league).
I'd love to see that list of 10+ schools that Swofford said had contacted the ACC. And the order in which they appeared on that list.

...most recent CBS Sports Blog...indicates that FSU can leave ACC for only $6mm as grandfathered in and not pay the $20mm. SEC takes FSU, Mizzou and WVU...ACC goes for Uconn, Rutgirls, and USF (fl to replace FSU). What do you think of this...blog below:

"Okay, I just spoke with my source (Direct ties to a coach at an SEC school) and he pretty much confirmed what I posted about yesterday"

Here's the latest:

SEC AD Vote tallies (these are UNCONFIRMED numbers:
Florida State: 11-1 for acceptance.
Mizzou: 8-4 for acceptance.
West Virginia: 10-2 for acceptance.

Right now, Missouri is the bigger target due to 3 major TV markets and 2 minor TV markets that are not shared with any other school. The biggest holdup/no vote is Alabama, who is afraid of having to give up their permanent cross-division rivalry game with Tennessee. The workaround for this will be putting Mizzou in the SEC-East temporarily. It gives them an easier travel schedule than the SEC West would. Again, this would only be a temporary move. I've received word that SEC Commish Slive is about to smack some sense into Alabama to change their vote.

West Virginia WILL be in. But not until the ACC adds three more team. They're going after Rutgers, Connecticut and South Florida. South Florida will replace Florida State.

Florida State is definitely in. As expected, the lone "NO" vote is... Florida.

Once FSU & WVU are brought in, Mizzou would shift back to SEC West

The SEC has its 3 new teams. Missouri's offer, though, does have a shelf life. If they bobble this up, West Virginia is in, and Mizzou will be brought in with Florida State.

There's the latest, everyone!
On the vote tallies above and in the link iinside the link, http://gridironhistory.com/forums/index.php?topic=353.0

this site makes some incredible assertions.

It's hard to believe that Georgia, So Carolina, and Kentucky would break their alliance with Florida to not allow teams from same SEC states any time soon in that purported 11-1 vote for FSU. May happen some day.

Even harder to believe the conspiracy theory that FSU will be grandfathered into the old exit fee rather than the new $20 Million buyout.

It gets worse thinkiing USF would replace FSU for ACC to retain a 2 Florida teams presence. USF is #181 in US News & World Reports University rankings versus ACC current low being FSU 101 who presumably is then gone and NC State also 101.

Before settling on another conference, the author also conjectured some other poor academics school to ACC, think it was Cincy #143 but could have been Louisville #160, probably not West VA who seems to be ultimately bound for SEC whether before or after Missouri.

Goes on to claim the 4 ultimate B1G adds would be Notre Dame, with no other conference in competition, plus Navy, Ohio U and Iowa State. Though the site questioned Iowa State academics that is the least of their problems. They are the only one of the 4 that is an Assoc of American Univerisities (AAU) member that B1G requires, though I am sure B1G would make an exception for #19 Notre Dame if they got that far with Irish.

Site does not guess who would replace Iowas State in B12 or why not Kansas #101 and AAU to B1G before Iowa State, if KU is not tied to #143 K-State and non AAU therefore not B1G material.

Navy vis a vis AAU might be okay but why non-AAU Ohio U #124 from MAC to B1G who is not going to be competitive anyway before Maimi (OH) #90 or Dayton #101, but div-1AA if it is only for geography in a redundant Ohio St market. None of those other Ohio schools are AAU. Rutgers is #68 and an AAU member in a new NY/NJ market albeiit a hike away. UCONN is #58 but again not AAU.

I would think B1G would go after Pitt or MD or UVA, all AAU schools, from ACC instead, however unlikely that may be after $20 million exit fee.

Until ND decides between B1G and ACC, forget about ACC adding all three of USF, Rutgers and UCONN and forgoing any hope, remote as it may be of ND or PSU.

If and when FSU or any other ACC schools went to SEC, I could see adding UCONN as a replacement to get back to 14, but not going to ACC 15-16 until all hope of anybody better is gone. Diltuion of football for all 3 and basketball for 2 and academics for 1 just to get to 16 makes no sense, especially when they do not make equally ridiculous fill in the blanks for P12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom