CBS Sports Marrone: s definitely interested in returning to the pros. | Syracusefan.com

CBS Sports Marrone: s definitely interested in returning to the pros.

Crusty

Living Legend
One such name is Doug Marrone, the coach at Syracuse, whose name began to emerge in late November. He's a former NFL coordinator respected for doing a highly respectable job at Syracuse and is definitely interested in returning to the pros.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...g-names-there-but-more-teams-seek-next-tomlin

Note the time frame - late November. It this is true he is gone.

I can think of a lot of reasons this may be true but the #1 reason IMO would be that the dream turned into a nightmare. After a terrific start, and getting much praise, he ran into the losing streak and saw the fans turn on him as if he had accomplished nothing. I remember the look on his face at the presser after the MN game and thought wow - that is a beaten up guy.

Everyone remembers he said he would quit if he thought he could not do the job. He never said he would do so without another job in hand. Well, he won't have to coach the oline in a high school in TN.

We will probably never know what happened to turn him off but I do know that we should be forever grateful to Doug for returning the program to respectability. If he goes, I hope he finds happiness and gets paid a fortune. I will root for him wherever he goes.

Let's hope CBS is wrong. I fear they are not.

NFL teams had an interest in Marrone 4 years ago while he was still with the Saints.

He's got the respect of a few GM's.

One such name is Doug Marrone, the coach at Syracuse, whose name began to emerge in late November. He's a former NFL coordinator respected for doing a highly respectable job at Syracuse and is definitely interested in returning to the pros.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...g-names-there-but-more-teams-seek-next-tomlin

I can think of a lot of reasons this may be true but the #1 reason IMO would be that the dream turned into a nightmare. After a terrific start, and getting much praise, he ran into the losing streak and saw the fans turn on him as if he had accomplished nothing. I remember the look on his face at the presser after the MN game and thought wow - that is a beaten up guy.

Everyone remembers he said he would quit if he thought he could not do the job. He never said he would do so without another job in hand. Well, he won't have to coach the oline in a high school in TN.

We will probably never know what happened to turn him off but I do know that we should be forever grateful to Doug for returning the program to respectability. If he goes, I hope he finds happiness and gets paid a fortune. I will root for him wherever he goes.

So he does the job and then departs in the night, likely taking key staff, putting 4 years of hard work into jeoparty. It's not like the NFL won't be there 2 years from now if that is what he wants.

Total mystery to me.

Any true competitor knows that you want to be challenged by the very best and win at that level. Of course there is interest by Marrone in the NFL and hopefully he'll choose to stay at SU and get his raise, his coaches a raise and solid commitment from SU to upgrade the facilities.

Fans turned on him? What?? D1 football isn't travel soccer, and he knows that perfectly well. I don't for a minute think it effected him at all. If it did, then he would have the absolute rudest awakening when his NFL team loses 2 games in a row.

Fans turned on him? What?? D1 football isn't travel soccer, and he knows that perfectly well. I don't for a minute think it effected him at all. If it did, then he would have the absolute rudest awakening when his NFL team loses 2 games in a row.

Maybe it isn't him so much as it's his family although I do think at heart, he's pretty thin skinned.

Maybe it isn't him so much as it's his family although I do think at heart, he's pretty thin skinned.
Well, then he definitely shouldn't go to the NFL where they would start burning crosses on his front lawn.

As many others have said, if part of the reason he is considering leaving is his perception of the fan base as hyper critical ingrates, he is in for a very very rude awakening in places like Buffalo and Cleveland.
Of course but he will get paid much more to put up with it.

There is still something going on that I can't put my finger on. I'm more or less convinced that having new facilities "immediately" and salaries for staff are not the main factors, based on the many knowledgeable posters' comments. The things that intrigue me the most are:

Dave Rahme's comment a while back about "hate mail" being the tip of the iceberg. Also his cryptic comment about having thick skin but having a family to take care of from yesterday. And his belief that Marrone would not want another college job - not just at SU, or Alabama, or Valdosta State - not anywhere.

Marrone's comments from the final (?) weekly call-in show where he talked about moving to Tennessee and becoming an OL coach for a high school.

Jersey Orange's belief that Marrone wants out. I get the sense (my suspicion only, reading the tea leaves so to speak) that Marrone is trying to get out, more than wanting to get in elsewhere. The NFL is a draw, for sure, but it seems like he is running away from something more than running toward something.

I wonder if college kids have changed significantly since his last time coaching NCAA, and he now realizes he just doesn't like having to deal with the drama, and in our case, some of the legal troubles kids have gotten into.

It could be a simple accumulation of things that have worn him down, but if so, it has to be something peculiar to the way that college football operates now, compared to what he remembers.

Been thinking along the same lines javadoc. Something is not quite right. I certainly hope nobody was cruel enough to pick on his family. I would be very embarrassed for us all if that was the case.

As many others have said, if part of the reason he is considering leaving is his perception of the fan base as hyper critical ingrates, he is in for a very very rude awakening in places like Buffalo and Cleveland.

Maybe he's thinking if I have to put up with this crap I can get paid alot more and have the resources I need to do the job right.

Maybe he's thinking if I have to put up with this crap I can get paid alot more and have the resources I need to do the job right.
Maybe his ballyhooed change in sideline demeanor resulted from a sense of freedom, after making a decision to move on.

Maybe but if that's the case I'd say be careful what you wish for because the streets aren't paved with gold for most NFL franchises and the NFL crapo meter has settings higher than the meltdown indicator at Fukashima.

Truth. Guy gets paid a million plus to coach football. Fans being idiots is part of the game. Deal with it or go be a plumber like the next guy. Oh and btw, while we have had steady progress, there has also been those What moments. Should fans show up at the Dome and sport the team, absolutely. Do we have a right to question bad game day decision and poor special team play from DM, yes...