CBS Writers Preseason Predictions | Syracusefan.com

CBS Writers Preseason Predictions

No one picked Georgetown to win the Big East? That has to be a mistake...

Let the games begin: Gottlieb picked SU to win the BE.

"That guy never says anything good about Syracuse. He's a DB."-Syracusefan.com Message Board

44cuse

One guy (MCW) cracks the preseason top 100 list @ 50. Yet all I hear from most preseason pieces is that SU has the most talent of any Big East squad. Something doesn't add up...

Not sure how Fair and Triche get left off that list.

100% fair to say that CBS employs the biggest hacks. They know no more than an aware fan who watches a fair share of college basketball. Thats not to say they have under or over rated Syracuse players. It's just they have no clue.

means nothing, given the rare circumstances.

Dajuan hasn't played yet. Rak is going to break out but has to show it first he wasn't a monster as a freshmen but had a monster future.
Triche has been caught in between a sg/pg for three years but this year will lead as a senior and has to show it.
James inconsistant he has to show the consistancy.
CJ went to the lebron camp and probably belonged on the list somewhere but has to take more midrange jumpshots or extend his range if he wants to prove it and be considered a true 3. Reguadless hes above average offensively at the 4 for college ball making halfcourt transition.
Cooney and Grant nobody has seen yet. Keita has no offense but is a solid defender, with a level head, our most experienced big and will help win games.

Good chance these all get met.
hey they put one of our guys in the top 100 in hype, seems Fair enough, well maybe not to Cj
wink.png

1. Rak, MCW and Cooney did not play much because of 4 studs last year who all went to the nba(scoop barring injury). They are true sensational sophs, and were really good freshmen.
2. Dajuan is one of the more ready freshmen in the country. Few freshmen in the paint are ready physically, Dajuan is more then that. Grant-(forward swingman at cuse have a pretty good shot at some playing time.)
3. Triche, Southerland, and CJ get to step up and lead good chance all three make that leap.
Forget the :blah: :blah: this particular year (not hating on it). Thats all you got to know as a cuse fan.

It's all good. We start the season somewhat under the radar. All the pieces are in place for Syracuse to have one hell of a good season. If this team has a trajectory of constant improvement throughout the season and Brandon has the type of year he is capable of having, I'd say our chances to get back to the final 4 are very solid. As always, there will be the board meltdowns and the constant debate of playing more m2m vs. zone but James Boeheim is a better coach than ever and he will have this group of kids playing as well as anyone in the Nation come March.

It's one of those years where there appears to be no dominant teams heading into the regular season nationally. This makes predictions like these even harder.

We'll know more as the season develops. But as long as our three guards stay healthy and perform, I definitely like our chances of making a good regular season and deep NCAA run.

Cheers,
Neil

as long as our three guards stay healthy and perform, I definitely like our chances of making a good regular season and deep NCAA run.
I concur . . . I think we will have one of the best - maybe the best - frontcourt in the nation by the time March rolls around. As long as there are three healthy bodies in the backcourt, the Orange have an excellent chance for a Final Four birth

Let the games begin: Gottlieb picked SU to win the BE.

"That guy never says anything good about Syracuse. He's a DB."-Syracusefan.com Message Board

44cuse

That's the beauty of Gottlieb. He can now talk all year how we have choked and not played up to expectations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Gottlieb picked 'Zona to win it all. If they make sweet 16 or are regularly top 20 this year, then Miller would be his Coach of the Year.

Let's prove Gottlieb correct with his preseason pick and question himself for not picking the best team from the best basketball conference to the Final Four.

I concur . . . I think we will have one of the best - maybe the best - frontcourt in the nation by the time March rolls around. As long as there are three healthy bodies in the backcourt, the Orange have an excellent chance for a Final Four birth
Can't argue with any of that. And I believe Triche and MCW, with a little Cooney sprinkled in, will be one of the top backcourts in the country. A little future book wager on SU may be in order...

That's the beauty of Gottlieb. He can now talk all year how we have choked and not played up to expectations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LOL...or: "That's the beauty of this board. They can choose to see the glass as half empty."

It's honestly one of the things I love the most about this place. People HATE Colin Cowherd, yet they conveniently forget that in SU Basketball's darkest hour Cowherd was the first to say "Wait...this doesn't smell right." The morning the news came out.

44cuse

The backcourt is a very tough read for me this year.
We don't have a returning guard who scored 10 ppg last year, a inexperienced point early on and I just don't know Triches leadership skills, nor Cooneys shooting percentages. or Cooneys, MCW, and Triches ability to shoot off the dribble yet.

I think Triche is the biggest question mark. What kind of leader will he be? imo, He is at his best when he is well rested, and full of scrappyness and hustle off the ball and on the defensive end chasing rebounds and loose balls. I feel thats his best shot for the NBA learning to play off his hustle. I want to see him bring that all the time when hes in the game. I think that would be a good challenge for him and help him to play with more energy.

We hear lack of confidence, but he just hasn't evolved into a true SG yet, or shown a really in control isolation dribble.
That being said, I think the same about MCW. I just don't want him to sit back and lack the intesity on the floor saving him for more minutes. IMO, The guy has all american defensive potential and alot of people don't know it. Although he may be able to go full intensity for longer minutes then Triche as well. I hope they challenge each other at that.

SG and PG share 80 mpg together.
Thats 26.6 mpg for MCW Triche and Cooney equally.
Question is will Cooney get 20-26 mpg to let Triche and MCW bring the full energy,or more around 13-18 mpg.

If not I hope the thought of southerland logging 4-6 in Big East play isn't out of the picture. Even if its mid late first half and we roll the dice with some balls offensively.
I just can't weight the negatives of southerland at the 2 being that bad especially with our explosive offensive balence. Even if it could be a contributing cost of costing us a game or two could care less. Roll the dice and Let the offense run. I remember JB against Texas 03, "your not stopping these teams on offense". .

We don't have a returning guard who scored 10 ppg last year, a inexperienced point early on and I just don't know Triches leadership skills, nor Cooneys shooting percentages. or Cooneys, MCW, and Triches ability to shoot off the dribble yet.

I think Triche is the biggest question mark. What kind of leader will he be? imo, He is at his best when he is well rested, and full of scrappyness and hustle off the ball and on the defensive end chasing rebounds and loose balls. I feel thats his best shot for the NBA learning to play off his hustle. I want to see him bring that all the time when hes in the game. I think that would be a good challenge for him and help him to play with more energy.

We hear lack of confidence, but he just hasn't evolved into a true SG yet, or shown a really in control isolation dribble.
That being said, I think the same about MCW. I just don't want him to sit back and lack the intesity on the floor saving him for more minutes. IMO, The guy has all american defensive potential and alot of people don't know it. Although he may be able to go full intensity for longer minutes then Triche as well. I hope they challenge each other at that.

Question is will Cooney get 20-26 mpg to let Triche and MCW bring the full energy,or more around 13-18 mpg.

If not I hope the thought of southerland logging 4-6 in Big East play isn't out of the picture. Even if its mid late first half and we roll the dice with some balls offensively.
I just can't weight the negatives of southerland at the 2 being that bad especially with our explosive offensive balence. Even if it could be a contributing cost of costing us a game or two could care less. Roll the dice and Let the offense run. I remember JB against Texas 03, "your not stopping these teams on offense". .
Your posts are long.

Wow, that's a lot to chew on. You think our most experienced returning player is our biggest question mark? You think there is a chance Cooney might divide time somewhat evenly with Triche and MCW? You think Southerland might see meaningful time at shooting guard in important games?

You think our most experienced returning player is our biggest question mark?
Not in terms of readyness but in what role we need him to play.

You think there is a chance Cooney might divide time somewhat evenly with Triche and MCW?
No, but I think it could be better Triche and MCW get around 30 mpg instead of 32-36. Especially for defensive purposes which can be a game changer.

You think Southerland might see meaningful time at shooting guard in important games?
Doubtfull, but Southerland is instant offense. Tired of hearing we can't put a forward up top. Lebron plays D on the perimeter all the time.

Triche was second on the team in shots per minute behind Dion last year and Southerland was 3rd. I wouldn't be suprirsed to see them average the most shots for us this year.

Other than Gottlieb, what exactly qualifies these other guys as experts?? CBS should just poll CBB fans walking down 52nd Street. This panel is a pale comparison to ESPN's, for example. Man, did I make poor career decisions.

I'm still not sold on Nerlens Noel. At 6'10" 215, even Baye Keita could knock him to the floor right now. He does seem to have a bit of Anthony Davis - like intensity, but most of that got displayed in places not called St. Anthony's or DeMatha.

I'm still not sold on Nerlens Noel. At 6'10" 215, even Baye Keita could knock him to the floor right now. He does seem to have a bit of Anthony Davis - like intensity, but most of that got displayed in places not called St. Anthony's or DeMatha.
The only thing that Baye Keita gets on the floor is maybe his shadow and thats a slim jim in it self.;)