Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good zone fit. His height is gotta be why JB didn’t offer.
Makes no sense if that is the reason. Height at the top of the zone should not outweigh the ability to score on the offensive side the way this kid does. Our guards do not really affect opposing shooters that much.
No has to be more to it than that, but I have no idea why we are not involved. We may very well regret this decision. If we do come in late, proximity to his home will be our only advantage now.

Gmac was 6'2" and he worked out quite well.

I knew someone would mention him. On a good day he’s 6’2” lol. There’s always exceptions and he was one of them. Jb likes big guards its no secret. Gmac was a special talent.

Makes no sense if that is the reason. Height at the top of the zone should not outweigh the ability to score on the offensive side the way this kid does. Our guards do not really affect opposing shooters that much.
No has to be more to it than that, but I have no idea why we are not involved. We may very well regret this decision. If we do come in late, proximity to his home will be our only advantage now.
Makes total sense to me. What should he do score 9 points and give up 15 on the defensive end? Height AND length matter big time in the zone. What are you talking about?

Makes total sense to me. What should he do score 9 points and give up 15 on the defensive end? Height AND length matter big time in the zone. What are you talking about?
How do know he scores 9? Also how many times on this board have people complained about some spare having a career day or night to beat SU, with the tall top of the zone. Give me guys who can shoot. They don't win in 2003 without "shorty" Mac's shooting .

How do know he scores 9? Also how many times on this board have people complained about some spare having a career day or night to beat SU, with the tall top of the zone. Give me guys who can shoot. They don't win in 2003 without "shorty" Mac's shooting .
You don’t understand my point so if hes to short for the zone it doesn’t matter if his offense is good because on the defensive end they will shoot right over him!

The zone is more about lateral movement. If this kid can get in the shooters face his height has nothing to do with it. Many times announcers have said the zone has more man to man properties than zone. UNLV had great success with their "Amoeba" zone with Hunt and Anthony running the top. Both weren't lenghty. If they shoot from between half court and the three point line "re Vermont in the tournament" no height can stop that.

The zone is more about lateral movement. If this kid can get in the shooters face his height has nothing to do with it. Many times announcers have said the zone has more man to man properties than zone. UNLV had great success with their "Amoeba" zone with Hunt and Anthony running the top. Both weren't lenghty. If they shoot from between half court and the three point line "re Vermont in the tournament" no height can stop that.
It has all to do with height. If it was all about lateral movement we could win with a team full of 6 footers right? Not happening.

Since I haven’t seen him play someone tell me...he does one thing really really well. Does he do anything else really well too? Argument sounds like we’re ignoring a top 25 recruit who is biting at the bit to come to Cuse.

Right. I actually think Howard Washington is our best guard in the zone. He's by far the most active and anticipates passes far better than others, at least in the limited action I've seen of him. And as we continue to play uglier and uglier offensive basketball every year, I'm more than willing to give up some defense in exchange for some guys that can actually put the ball in the basket, which Girard obviously can.

It has all to do with height. If it was all about lateral movement we could win with a team full of 6 footers right? Not happening.
Think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Never said the zone didn't need length. Just overstated at the top. SU needs guys that can shoot. Length in the paint is fine. I'm not stupid enough to think they win with a team of six footers. We were talking about taking a chance on a lights out shooter.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Never said the zone didn't need length. Just overstated at the top. SU needs guys that can shoot. Length in the paint is fine. I'm not stupid enough to think they win with a team of six footers. We were talking about taking a chance on a lights out shooter.
Yes sir. And my guess was because his lack of height can be the only reason i can think of why he has no Syracuse offer.

GMac is - at most - 6'0", but honestly he's really probably only like 5'11".
I stood right next to him at the Melo center last March. I'm 5'10", and he's at MOST an inch or 2 taller than me.

Exactly... Gmac was great and he's about Girard's height. A lack of an offer here is ludicrous, and will come back to bite us.

We have had plenty of guards no taller than this young man, and he is still growing. We have had few that have been as prolific scorers. The zone is not the be all and end all that you make it out to be, nor is length as big a factor at the guard position. Three inches does not create the difference you seem to think it does. I will take a drop dead three point shooter over a bigger guard who can not shoot every time.
Now if you are saying you have a combination of both then yea give me him, but until that guy shows up take the guy that is 6'1" that scores forty to fifty every game, thank you.

We have had plenty of guards no taller than this young man, and he is still growing. We have had few that have been as prolific scorers. The zone is not the be all and end all that you make it out to be, nor is length as big a factor at the guard position. Three inches does not create the difference you seem to think it does. I will take a drop dead three point shooter over a bigger guard who can not shoot every time.
Now if you are saying you have a combination of both then yea give me him, but until that guy shows up take the guy that is 6'1" that scores forty to fifty every game, thank you.

Buddy is that guy - tall guard, pure shooter.

Taking or not taking Girard is a "roster management" issue, per JB. I'm not sure if that is true or not, or if it is a good decision. But it makes sense that he wants to see who stays and who goes before he targets scholarships at the end of the roster.

That’s your opinion . Its well known JB prefers big guards, of course there’s been exceptions through out the years. He has no Syracuse offer at the end of the day in a position of need.

You don’t understand my point so if hes to short for the zone it doesn’t matter if his offense is good because on the defensive end they will shoot right over him!
THAN ADAPT TO YOUR PERSONNEL...There's a unique idea for a coach. take the talent!!!!

Buddy is that guy - tall guard, pure shooter.

Taking or not taking Girard is a "roster management" issue, per JB. I'm not sure if that is true or not, or if it is a good decision. But it makes sense that he wants to see who stays and who goes before he targets scholarships at the end of the roster.

Buddy not really a guard, and not the volume scorer you think. Why not have more than one talented shooter, there is a novel idea. Buddy when he plays will be more of a small forward.

We can assume all we want but JB knows why he didn’t offer. We just have to accept it and move on, And later complain about it when he’s lighting it up in college.

Buddy not really a guard, and not the volume scorer you think. Why not have more than one talented shooter, there is a novel idea.

Buddy is a guard - never said he would be a "volume scorer" I said he is a pure shooter, there is a difference. Do you really think that this decision is predicated on JB thinking we don't need one more talented shooter? There is the "novel" idea you're looking for.

Buddy is a guard - never said he would be a "volume scorer" I said he is a pure shooter, there is a difference. Do you really think that this decision is predicated on JB thinking we don't need one more talented shooter? There is the "novel" idea you're looking for.
Mark my words, will not be consistently at guard, maybe swing on occasion. Defensively not a good fit at guard full time.
No idea why he is not involved, but if it is because of Buddy, that is not a good decision. Think Buddy will be allright, but we should not ignore Girards abilities. He is right in our backyard, it will not sit well with many coaches in our territory.
JB may still offer depending on our roster, but like Huerter this kid may have moved on by then.

I know this is JBs call but I still think we need more and better shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom