Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If HW can't play due to injury, isn't there a special waiver where he can be on scholarship, but not count against the limit. Does it have to be career ending injury.

Good.

Hopefully JB is finally coming around to going after shooters and scorers even if they aren't zone prototypes. Whether or not JG comes here, I'm just happy that maybe we'll see a shift towards kids that can flat out score a bit more often.

At the age of 11, Girard won the 40th Elks National Hoop Shoot Contest, and a television station ran a piece on him. The premise: “Have we found the next Jimmer [Fredette]?”

That’s when the hype began — at the ripe age of 11 — when Girard, a Glens Falls native, already was being hailed as the small upstate town’s next superstar, following in the footsteps of Fredette, a former NBA player and BYU sharpshooter. It skyrocketed when Girard, as an eighth-grader, scored 31 points in his first varsity game, reminding his father of the pressure Fredette faced years earlier.

Don't get all the angst here. From the syracuse.com article it sounds like staff was very up front with the player and his family. Said they wanted to see him play PG a bit so they could get a feel for his handling skills. They did. Felt skills or at least potential was there to play point at the high major level and offered a full 18 months before his projected enrollment date. Seems like a very sound and open recruitment to me.
Now I'm sure if Girard signs to play somewhere else there will be a hundred posts saying it was because we offered "too late."

I know a lot of us have seen tape on him many times already but I never watched this one...watch to the end where he's lighting it up during his workout...he will be a elite scorer and hopefully will have a solid all around game to where he isn't a liability on defense. I cant imagine having 2 kids on the same team who shoot the 3 ball like buddy and jg3 do. Curious if we have ever had two 3 point shooters on the same team that would statistically stack up against what their numbers were during EYBL or what they are shooting this season?

I know a lot of us have seen tape on him many times already but I never watched this one...watch to the end where he's lighting it up during his workout...he will be a elite scorer and hopefully will have a solid all around game to where he isn't a liability on defense. I cant imagine having 2 kids on the same team who shoot the 3 ball like buddy and jg3 do. Curious if we have ever had two 3 point shooters on the same team that would statistically stack up against what their numbers were during EYBL or what they are shooting this season?
I think you’re getting carried away here he’s shooting wide open shots. I don’t know how you can label anyone a elite scorer based on a workout tape. Its no different than any other good 3 point shooter that’s in college or on their way.

I think you’re getting carried away here he’s shooting wide open shots. I don’t know how you can label anyone a elite scorer based on a workout tape. Its no different than any other good 3 point shooter that’s in college or on their way.

Nope I'm not basing it off of just this video and I'm not getting carried away. This kids game is scoring and he will continue to do that at the next level wherever he plays. It's the rest of his game that I'm worried about and hopefully it's solid enough all around. He will absolutely score tons of buckets its what he does and that is not getting carried away. What would you "label" him as right now? I believe elite scorer is spot on. Yes it's a shooting drill I completely understand that and no one is guarding him but he has been doing this with people guarding him. This wasn't based off of one shooting drill I just found it nice to watch seeing as though no one on our current team can hit the broad side of a barn from 3 ft away or even make a layup. Drills or not id love to see some of our current players run this drill and see how they do. Appreciate the response though!

Nope I'm not basing it off of just this video and I'm not getting carried away. This kids game is scoring and he will continue to do that at the next level wherever he plays. It's the rest of his game that I'm worried about and hopefully it's solid enough all around. He will absolutely score tons of buckets its what he does and that is not getting carried away. What would you "label" him as right now? I believe elite scorer is spot on. Yes it's a shooting drill I completely understand that and no one is guarding him but he has been doing this with people guarding him. This wasn't based off of one shooting drill I just found it nice to watch seeing as though no one on our current team can hit the broad side of a barn from 3 ft away or even make a layup. Drills or not id love to see some of our current players run this drill and see how they do. Appreciate the response though!
I would label him a good long range shooter. His competition is weak but none the less he proved he can score. Put him in the same league Lance Stephenson played in and he wouldn’t be the all time leading scorer in NYS. Gmac looked better in his videos from high school . If he can produce like him ill be happy. Regardless I still want him to commit.

Elite shooter?

Elite scorer gives the impression that he can score in any way against just about any opponent.

Don't get all the angst here. From the syracuse.com article it sounds like staff was very up front with the player and his family. Said they wanted to see him play PG a bit so they could get a feel for his handling skills. They did. Felt skills or at least potential was there to play point at the high major level and offered a full 18 months before his projected enrollment date. Seems like a very sound and open recruitment to me.
Now I'm sure if Girard signs to play somewhere else there will be a hundred posts saying it was because we offered "too late."
This was the most level headed and truthful post in this thread. I think the staff handled this recruitment well, Girard is a nice shooter but we aren’t talking about OJ Mayo here where he should be getting offered as a freshmen.

This was the most level headed and truthful post in this thread. I think the staff handled this recruitment well, Girard is a nice shooter but we aren’t talking about OJ Mayo here where he should be getting offered as a freshmen.
The article that came out AFTER we were all coming up with reasons why we thought there was no offer for him.

Put him Downstate where the competition is good on a nightly basis and we'll see what he can do. You guys have this weird infatuation with him because he's in your backyard. Downstate produces major talent year after year. You guys get a generational player and go nuts.

Put him Downstate where the competition is good on a nightly basis and we'll see what he can do. You guys have this weird infatuation with him because he's in your backyard. Downstate produces major talent year after year. You guys get a generational player and go nuts.

Great post

What do you mean by downstate?

He has 5 power-five offers. He plays for one of the best AAU teams in the Country. My guess is he'd average over 20 per in any league HS league anywhere.

Last edited:
He is a basketball player. Who is turning this into a regional conflict? Weird infatuation? What is weird about rooting for a local kid? Sheer numbers would suggest that more players are going to be produced from areas of higher population. This kid would shine wherever he was. I truly can't even fathom your meaning.

Fab Melo (RIP) looked like an NBA player in the workout tape his coaches put out when he was a junior/senior. Dude was drilling 3 pointers. Hard to base anything on workouts.

He is a basketball player. Who is turning this into a regional conflict? Weird infatuation? What is weird about rooting for a local kid? Sheer numbers would suggest that more players are going to be produced from areas of higher population. This kid would shine wherever he was. I truly can't even fathom your meaning.

Sure about that? Playing against future accountants and farmers tells you that. How many of those kids in that Section get legit D1 offers? Not many I bet. Some are lucky to sniff NAIA ball. The competition is inferior upstate and always will be.

Fab Melo (RIP) looked like an NBA player in the workout tape his coaches put out when he was a junior/senior. Dude was drilling 3 pointers. Hard to base anything on workouts.

I agree...again his shooting ability isn't based off of this one tape.....after watching the game tonight I think it's safe to say jg3 could probably shoot better then anyone on this team when he was a freshman in highschool.

Girard played against the nation's best for the past two seasons in the EYBL. My guess is that being one of the younger guys on the City Rocks team, he was fourth or fifth option most of the time. Yet, he was still able to finish top 5 in makes and percentage. Going to be interesting to see this summer, when he is more of a focal point in their offense, what his numbers will look like.

And? Fab ended up being a first round pick. If JG ends up being a first round NBA draft pick, I would call that a pretty successful career.

Sure about that? Playing against future accountants and farmers tells you that. How many of those kids in that Section get legit D1 offers? Not many I bet. Some are lucky to sniff NAIA ball. The competition is inferior upstate and always will be.

Another top notch post! Keep em coming!!

We had a run of successful upstate NY players in the not too distant past: Triche, Rautins, Flynn, Harris. It’s nice to get them when they’re in your backyard.

In fact my all time worst post was centered around Mookie Jones being better than Rautins because of where they were from. Flat out wrong and dumb in that case.

We had a run of successful upstate NY players in the not too distant past: Triche, Rautins, Flynn, Harris. It’s nice to get them when they’re in your backyard.

In fact my all time worst post was centered around Mookie Jones being better than Rautins because of where they were from. Flat out wrong and dumb in that case.
Section II has got to be the worse competition and players in the state. I played in it long time ago. I live here. There’s occasionally a diamond in the rough and gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom