Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just a couple years later a national championship.

Yup. First two classes, Hopkins and Weaver bring in:

Edelin, Pace, Forth, Konecny, and Warrick

Carmelo, GMac, and Gorman.

Lot of “hits” there.

Yup. First two classes, Hopkins and Weaver bring in:

Edelin, Pace, Forth, Konecny, and Warrick

Carmelo, GMac, and Gorman.

Lot of “hits” there.
I was going to say that they were arguably the best two back to back years, but nothing to argue. No comparisons.

So you think the 2 week run in March was more indicative of the team last year than the 4 months of watching miserable basketball? Maybe my brain works differently than those that think we were actually one of the 16 best teams in college basketball during the '17-'18 season. I thought last year was a complete miserable season of Syracuse basketball and two weeks doesn't make for 4 months of sluggish terrible games. Saying our team was a final four contender last year is the most ridiculous thing in the world. We were the very last team in to the tournament and it's arguable if we deserved to be there. I think after getting waxed by UNC that the high majority of folks here didn't think we deserved to be in.
Ummm...I beg to differ.

These guys had a GREAT regular season.

1528827072267.jpeg

And these guys didn't.

images

When its all said and done...who had the "better" season?
And was it worth it to watch 3 months of dreck for our great ending?
Wouldn't trade our season for MSU's, or UVA's in a million years.
For better or worse, cbb is all about the Tournament. Period.

Last edited:
Ummm...I beg to differ.

These guys had a GREAT regular season.
View attachment 130406

And these guys didn't.
images

When its all said and done...who had the "better" season?
And was it worth it to watch 3 months of dreck for our great ending?
Wouldn't trade our season for MSU's, or UVA's in a million years.
For better or worse, cbb is all about the Tournament. Period.

In my mind a FF appearance overrides anything to do with the regular season or the post-season conference tourney. Now in the case of Virginia, i would not trade because their first round loss as a one seed creates infamy. However, had they got to the second round, I would have easily taken their season over a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Who are we kidding ????

In my mind a FF appearance overrides anything to do with the regular season or the post-season conference tourney. Now in the case of Virginia, i would not trade because their first round loss as a one seed creates infamy. However, had they got to the second round, I would have easily taken their season over a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Who are we kidding ????
Agreed. And if we hadn't made it to the 2nd weekend, I would've taken MSU's season over ours by a mile.
But that's the point- you get a chance at redemption in the Dance, that's the whole premise behind March Madness. If you're one of the lucky ones you change your season, and no one really cares or remembers what you did from November to Feb. JMHO.

Now, to get back on topic...if we'd had Joe Girardi III playing PG, we'd definitely would've beaten Duke! ;)

Yeah. As much as the ending sucked, the 2005 or 1991 teams gave us 4 months of mostly very enjoyable basketball. I’d take those seasons over 2018.

A final four, like in 2016 though? That’s enough to put an otherwise mediocre season over a great season with a first round exit.

Yeah. As much as the ending sucked, the 2005 or 1991 teams gave us 4 months of mostly very enjoyable basketball. I’d take those seasons over 2018.

A final four, like in 2016 though? That’s enough to put an otherwise mediocre season over a great season with a first round exit.

I agree. Last year was pretty much miserable except for 2 weeks. I'd rather have 4 months of happiness than those 2 weeks unless it ends in the Final Four.

Agreed. And if we hadn't made it to the 2nd weekend, I would've taken MSU's season over ours by a mile.
But that's the point- you get a chance at redemption in the Dance, that's the whole premise behind March Madness. If you're one of the lucky ones you change your season, and no one really cares or remembers what you did from November to Feb. JMHO.

Now, to get back on topic...if we'd had Joe Girardi III playing PG, we'd definitely would've beaten Duke! ;)

I would be happy for SU to get Girard, obviously. Beyond that, I’m rooting for him to go to anywhere but Duke. Same with Stewart. I can’t root for upstate NY players at Duke. The thought of it disgusts me.

One senator, Girard wasn't sure who exactly, urged his son to go to Syracuse.
"He said it right on the floor!'' Girard Jr. said.
Afterward, Girard posed for photos with state senators Betty Little and Jim Tedisco along with state asssemblyman Dan Stec.

Dad said it was a "he" so probably Dan or Jim - but just reelect all 3 to be safe.

One senator, Girard wasn't sure who exactly, urged his son to go to Syracuse.
"He said it right on the floor!'' Girard Jr. said.
Afterward, Girard posed for photos with state senators Betty Little and Jim Tedisco along with state asssemblyman Dan Stec.

Dad said it was a "he" so probably Dan or Jim - but just reelect all 3 to be safe.
Tedisco was a pretty good baller in his day.

Only suggested the thought due to the kids siZe and progression. At the end of the day we’re not an offensive minded program. So does the 4 year potentially contibutive zone fit work better than the 6 foot potential scorer zone liability? I dont know. Worth thought imo.

Your full of it. We had some great offensive teams in the not so distant past. Unforeseen early entries to the draft, scholarship limitations, transfers, some misses, the forced retirement of JB and the sanctions all had an impact. We will be great on offense again.

Last edited:
Your full of it. We had some great offensive teams in the not so distant past. Unforeseen early entries to the draft, scholarship limitations, transfers, some misses, the forced retirement of JB, recruiting misses and the sanctions all had an impact. We will be great on offense again.
Full of it? The zone’s been our edge on opponents for years. Im not saying we havent been great offensively in recent years, just that contingecy in the zone and offensive competency may be more important than a volume shooter off the bench.

Maybe we’d have a tourney berth streak going right now had 2016/2017 had been formatted slightly more around the zone than volume shooters

Doesn't the success of GMAC, Rautins and even Cooney, (who started for three years), here suggest that there might be a place for Girard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom