Chad Ford: Mock Draft 3.0 (Updated through Mar. 4) | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford: Mock Draft 3.0 (Updated through Mar. 4)

OrangeTown

All Conference
Has Ennis vaulting up to Sacramento at #8. Grant to the Bulls at #16.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...id-stays-no-1-ennis-vaults-2014-mock-draft-30

Syracuse related comments are below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tyler Ennis
Sacramento Kings
COLLEGE: Syracuse
HT: 6-2
WT: 180
POS: PG
i

Sacramento Kings | 3.5 percent to win lottery
Analysis:
The Kings love Isaiah Thomas, but he isn't a true point guard and his lack of size can hurt them. Ennis isn't flashy, but he's the sort of player you can trust to run the Kings' offense immediately. He doesn't have the upside of the other freshmen in this class, but he might be the most NBA-ready from day one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerami Grant
Chicago Bulls
COLLEGE: Syracuse
HT: 6-8
WT: 203
POS: SF
i

Analysis: Grant has similar tools and intangibles to Arizona's Aaron Gordon. He's an elite athlete who doesn't exactly have a position and isn't particularly polished offensively. However, his length and athletic abilities allow him to impact the game on both ends of the floor. For a defensive-minded coach like Tom Thibodeau, that matters

Yup. I don't get the near consensus that people think that Tyler will be back next season. The NBA drafts strictly on potential. If they feel Tyler Ennis can be a successful NBA point guard they will draft him in the first round. Even with the recent woes of the Cuse team, Ennis has had one of the most successful seasons as a freshman pg in college basketball and there is no reason to think that he won't get better. Maybe he won't make as big an initial impact as MCW or Trey Burke but it's hard to fathom he won't be good.

From earlier on Twitter,

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia
Chad Ford's latest mock draft has Tyler Ennis at No.8 and Jerami Grant at No.16.

Scott Dony ‏@ScottDony
@BrentAxeMedia Do you think either or both will go?

@ScottDony I think they both go, yes.

Mike Waters ‏@MikeWatersSYR
@BrentAxeMedia How much you want to bet? Jerami stays, for sure. I think Ennis might, too.

From earlier on Twitter,

Chad Ford's latest mock draft has Tyler Ennis at No.8 and Jerami Grant at No.16.

Scott Dony ‏@ScottDony
@BrentAxeMedia Do you think either or both will go?

@ScottDony I think they both go, yes.

Mike Waters ‏@MikeWatersSYR
@BrentAxeMedia How much you want to bet? Jerami stays, for sure. I think Ennis might, too.
Wow, weird to see Waters pretty much call out Axe like that

I respect Mike Waters but if someone is dangling millions in front of either of them, especially Grant with his back issues, I think they go.

I think Ennis has only increased his stock the past 3 games. He has shown he can score when asked too, consistently beating his man off the dribble. I also think his shooting is very under rated, and will only get better.

Grant's family does not need the money. There is no financial pressure on him. I bet he stays.

I respect Mike Waters but if someone is dangling millions in front of either of them, especially Grant with his back issues, I think they go.

Could be. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that he is making his prediction based on some inside information or gut feeling based on being around the team a lot.

Grant's family does not need the money. There is no financial pressure on him. I bet he stays.
I think his sore back becomes part of the equation. One day you are 19 years old and on top of the world and the next day you can't even bend over to tie your shoelaces (so to speak). I think his dad, a former professional athlete, might realize that more than the average Joe.

If Grant THINKS he's ready, he'll go, period. I highly doubt his parents financial situation will play a part in his decision (unless they were at the opposite end of the spectrum and had no money, which we know they don't).

Your parents having money and you having money is different. Unless they give him unlimited funds, I'm sure he's eager to be independent.

I really can't see Grant coming back just because his parents "have money". If he comes back it'll be because he doesn't think he's ready.

No disrespect to you CTO or anyone else who thinks that way, but I never really understood that premise. Unless they're family was in dire need of money, I'd be surprised if that was a deciding factor in most players decisions.

If Grant THINKS he's ready, he'll go, period. I highly doubt his parents financial situation will play a part in his decision (unless they were at the opposite end of the spectrum and had no money, which we know they don't).

Your parents having money and you having money is different. Unless they give him unlimited funds, I'm sure he's eager to be independent.

I really can't see Grant coming back just because his parents "have money". If he comes back it'll be because he doesn't think he's ready.

No disrespect to you CTO or anyone else who thinks that way, but I never really understood that premise. Unless they're family was in dire need of money, I'd be surprised if that was a deciding factor in most players decisions.

Agree. MCW was financially secure as well. If anything his back injury could make him realize just how quickly everything could be gone. I'd be surprised if Grant is back.

A couple random thoughts.

The Sixers could really be onto something. They already have MCW and Nerlens Noel. If they have 2 top 10 picks they can set themselves up to be very good in a year or 2. Andrew Wiggins and Vonleh would be fantastic, but I would want someone who can knock down jump shots. I'd be very tempted not to take Gary Harris or Rodney Hood with the 2nd pick. If they can grab the #1 pick I think Embiid is a no brainer. He and Noel could be a pretty imposing front court.

I also feel Parker will be a bit of a let down. I am not nearly in love with him as most people. imo he's a poor mans Melo. I can't see him being the lead man for a franchise...or at least a winning one.

anomander said:
A couple random thoughts. The Sixers could really be onto something. They already have MCW and Nerlens Noel. If they have 2 top 10 picks they can set themselves up to be very good in a year or 2. Andrew Wiggins and Vonleh would be fantastic, but I would want someone who can knock down jump shots. I'd be very tempted not to take Gary Harris or Rodney Hood with the 2nd pick. If they can grab the #1 pick I think Embiid is a no brainer. He and Noel could be a pretty imposing front court. I also feel Parker will be a bit of a let down. I am not nearly in love with him as most people. imo he's a poor mans Melo. I can't see him being the lead man for a franchise...or at least a winning one.

I'd love to see them get Embiid and trade down for McDermott (and maybe get a high pick next year). Noel and Embiid would shut the paint down and Douggie buckets and whomever plays the second guard possibly via FA they could have a really stacked team in a couple of years. I really like what they're doing in Philly. They also have a ton of second round picks they could use for European dudes.

Austin Rivers son of Doc Rivers didn't need the money when he left Duke early. I don't think family wealth is why he would stay unless Jerami's parents wanted him to get his degree or Jerami likes the college lifestyle. I think unless he likes college or he wants another crack to play against his brother at Notre Dame he is more likely to leave than Tyler Ennis.

ROCuse said:
Could be. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that he is making his prediction based on some inside information or gut feeling based on being around the team a lot.

Everyone is staying on March 5th. Long way to the deadline to declare.

Caveat: I follow the NBA in June during the finals and that's it. That said, I'm kind of shocked that TE's stock is that high right now. There appear to me to be at least a couple glaring weaknesses in his game that would essentially make him a project if he were to leap after this year.
But what do I know? :noidea:

pearl31 said:
Caveat: I follow the NBA in June during the finals and that's it. That said, I'm kind of shocked that TE's stock is that high right now. There appear to me to be at least a couple glaring weaknesses in his game that would essentially make him a project if he were to leap after this year. But what do I know? :noidea:

I agree. His game doesn't seem NBA at all to me. I'm not saying he doesn't NBA size because he does, problem is guys his size have elite speed or other skills. Ennis, I see a solid player all around with not one elite physical attribute or skill.

I can't see a team using a lottery pick on him just because of his passiveness in transition. To me that is the absolute deal breaker.

Wanted to agree with this. My parents were financially secure, and if someone put millions of dollars in front of me when I was 19 or 20 I would think real hard about taking it, and whether my family was really rich or comfortable or not wouldn't play much of a role in my decision.

Everyone is staying on March 5th. Long way to the deadline to declare.

I'm sure Waters is plugged into the program, but Jonny Flynn went on the Michael Kay radio show in late Feb or March of 2009 and said he was for sure coming back.