Chad Ford - NBA mock draft | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford - NBA mock draft

jimsonjunction

2nd String
I know we've discussed Carter-Williams' draft prospects ad nauseam, but I found this interesting nonetheless. Whether you think he's ready or not, he's generating interest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2013/mockdraft

Has him going #10 to the Thunder.

Breakdown: Carter-Williams has Kendall Marshall-type floor vision with more size, more athleticism and more offense. He has a terrific assist ratio and can be a hawk on defense as well. He's struggled mightily with his jump shot this season, can be turnover-prone and needs to get stronger, but he's a unique point guard prospect. Think a healthy Shaun Livingston.

Fool's gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe I am too positive, but think he will continue to mature and prove to be a very good pro point guard. Perhaps not an all star, but one with a long career. He needs to make better decisions and improve his outside shot, but these are not tasks that are beyond him.

MCW is not a finished product. He has all the potential in the world and a high ceiling. His flaws can be fixed.

He's 21. What age does the word "potential" stop being used? Kyrie is 20. He's got potential.

He's 21. What age does the word "potential" stop being used? Kyrie is 20. He's got potential.
It depends on when you enter the league. A guy entering the league at a younger age is generally given more time to be viewed as having potential. A guy entering the league later has a smaller window to carry the potential label.

I know we've discussed Carter-Williams' draft prospects ad nauseam, but I found this interesting nonetheless. Whether you think he's ready or not, he's generating interest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2013/mockdraft

Has him going #10 to the Thunder.

Breakdown: Carter-Williams has Kendall Marshall-type floor vision with more size, more athleticism and more offense. He has a terrific assist ratio and can be a hawk on defense as well. He's struggled mightily with his jump shot this season, can be turnover-prone and needs to get stronger, but he's a unique point guard prospect. Think a healthy Shaun Livingston.
he'll learn to shoot, he'll have other players around him who can shoot, he'll have a center who can catch the ball, he's not going to need to take over scoring and he won't get abused on the other end of the floor. his nba coach will probably be smart enough to make him throw the ball to their scoring small forward unlike at syracuse

might not mean much for us this year but a lot of his problems are fixable with nba players around him. he's got vision, height, athleticism and enough of a handle. everything else will develop

I never understand the NBA and this draft for potential idea. The NBA is about winning now. Coaches and GM's either win now (ie: make the playoffs and win a round) or they're soon fired. They're not interested in sticking a kid who can't immediately contribute out there and absorbing loses so he can learn. I can't think of any recent player who was a 1st round draft pick that sat on the bench or was sent to the D League for a substantial length of time that then became an important player. The following year the team will have other draft picks who are the hot thing and the previous year's pick is forgotten like yesterday's news. You better be ready to play and contribute immediately if you come out. You get that one chance and that's it.

MCW has to go while he is a perceived as a lottery pick. Terrance Morris from Maryland over 10 years ago was a potential lottery pick if he left early after his Sophomore season instead he returned to Maryland and was never even drafted by the time he graduated. MCW is not a finished product, but "upside" will get him drafted and Thunder have scouted the Orange and MCW at a LOT of games this year. I see MCW way gone after this year even though he is ultimate no, no, yes player.

Also, the idea of MCW being the backup to Westbrook is terrifying.

Oh, so you mean my starting point is at a serious matchup disadvantage against Westbrook's speed and athleticism, and when Westbrook comes out now I have to account for a guy that's even longer? Ha ha, first world problems, amirite?

So by your logic at age 21 you cant improve your game. Smh.

Maybe a bad example, but I’m just trying to say that players that are 21 typically don’t get exponentially better when they come into the NBA (see Wes Johnson). 21 year olds are generally Seniors. I don't even think there has been a Senior drafted in the first round since 2010 (Greivis Vasquez?). Guess they were all drafted on their "potential" before that.

They're not interested in sticking a kid who can't immediately contribute out there and absorbing loses so he can learn.
Actually, a lot of teams love doing that.

John Wall who was the #1 pick in'10 is shooting 7% from 3pt this year and he shot 7% from 3pt land last year. His team could barely win a game when he was out for the first 2 months of the season. They are a 500 team with him! My grandma could shoot 7%! But John Wall pushing the pace and gets the ball to his shooters, plays solid D and rebounds the ball. MCW can do all of that and I'd bet he could shoot 8% or even 9% from 3pt land! lol!

John Wall is terrible and viewed as a bust tho
I never bought in to the John Wall hype. In high school they just kept saying how fast he was. I am no John Wall expert, but he seems like an exceptional athlete with very little basketball IQ or skill.

I never bought in to the John Wall hype. In high school they just kept saying how fast he was. I am no John Wall expert, but he seems like an exceptional athlete with very little basketball IQ or skill.

I think John Wall is a bust too! A sprinter playing basketball, but if you look at team results his impact is undeniable. MCW is taller and longer with a better handle and better jumper then Wall. In the NBA MCW will see almost no zone and will play with bigs that will finish at the rim. For example if he goes to the Thunder and they put Westbrook at the 2 and let MCW run around throwing lobs to Ibaka and feeding the ball to Westbrook and Durant! He could go weeks without shooting a shot!

Good points Gabjon. I think Carter-Williams goes as far as his head takes him. If he plays to his strengths he can make it, just like Dion. Early on, he'll have to commit to controlling the tempo, setting up his teammates, and playing hard-nosed D. If he does that, the game will slow down and the rest will come.

I think John Wall is a bust too! A sprinter playing basketball, but if you look at team results his impact is undeniable. MCW is taller and longer with a better handle and better jumper then Wall. In the NBA MCW will see almost no zone and will play with bigs that will finish at the rim. For example if he goes to the Thunder and they put Westbrook at the 2 and let MCW run around throwing lobs to Ibaka and feeding the ball to Westbrook and Durant! He could go weeks without shooting a shot!
Ideally yes. But he'll have to put on some serious muscle. He'll be easier to stop in the NBA;
1) You can back off him and dare him to shoot (he'll improve I think)
2) You can get in his chest and be physical, and not worry about him blowing past you, and if he does, he has trouble finishing at the rim anyway.

Ideally yes. But he'll have to put on some serious muscle. He'll be easier to stop in the NBA;
1) You can back off him and dare him to shoot (he'll improve I think)
2) You can get in his chest and be physical, and not worry about him blowing past you, and if he does, he has trouble finishing at the rim anyway.

1) If you back off too much all you are doing is giving him a running start at you. It is not as easy as it sounds.
2) The NBA allows far less contact than college ball you touch a guy outside and the whistle is blown. In the half court Durant and Westbrook are shooting and on the fast-break he won't miss a dunk! Role players are lottery picks too especially on good teams!

John Wall who was the #1 pick in'10 is shooting 7% from 3pt this year and he shot 7% from 3pt land last year. His team could barely win a game when he was out for the first 2 months of the season. They are a 500 team with him! My grandma could shoot 7%! But John Wall pushing the pace and gets the ball to his shooters, plays solid D and rebounds the ball. MCW can do all of that and I'd bet he could shoot 8% or even 9% from 3pt land! lol!
8 or 9%!?!?!?! My goodness, get a hold of yourself, man!

I never understand the NBA and this draft for potential idea. The NBA is about winning now. Coaches and GM's either win now (ie: make the playoffs and win a round) or they're soon fired. They're not interested in sticking a kid who can't immediately contribute out there and absorbing loses so he can learn. I can't think of any recent player who was a 1st round draft pick that sat on the bench or was sent to the D League for a substantial length of time that then became an important player. The following year the team will have other draft picks who are the hot thing and the previous year's pick is forgotten like yesterday's news. You better be ready to play and contribute immediately if you come out. You get that one chance and that's it.

I think the biggest reason is because at this point, there are very few stars who go to school for more than 2 years, so if you want to draft a star player (and near the top of the draft, that's the idea) you need to roll the dice on a younger player.

The draft really sucks for NBA teams now, becauuse for a lot of the players in the lottery, you just don't have much to go on when it comes to projecting them.

I think the biggest reason is because at this point, there are very few stars who go to school for more than 2 years, so if you want to draft a star player (and near the top of the draft, that's the idea) you need to roll the dice on a younger player.

The draft really sucks for NBA teams now, becauuse for a lot of the players in the lottery, you just don't have much to go on when it comes to projecting them.

That and the differences in how the NBA game and the college game are played are bigger than ever! The college game is at a crawls pace compared to how it was in the 80s and the NBA game and these new 4 out sets with no post player it is almost like they are not even the same sport!

That breakdown from Ford is funny. I literally just got done telling my friends he's basically a more skilled version of Marshall (who was also a lottery pick), but Marshall player with a supporting cast that perfectly complemented his game. This Syracuse team is as bad a fit for MCW's distributing play style as it gets. Basically no shooters and no finishers around the rim. And I got chewed out for making that argument in favor of MCW. If you put him on Michigans team this year, he'd be putting up ridiculous assist numbers and would probably be scoring more efficiently.