Chance of Burr working our game Saturday: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chance of Burr working our game Saturday:

Since Higgins' retirement, Stevens has vaulted to a landslide victory for worst ref in bball, in my eyes. Burr is consistently bad, both ways, which is contemptible ... but Stevens is a Type triple-A personality that holds grudges and gets emphatically emotional with his calls. The type of person to think he is never wrong.

The scariest thing about Stevens is that he is, unlike Burr, nowhere near retirement.

Never forget! http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2011/02/the_disappearing_intentional_f.html

Add 'liar' to the list.

I'm totally with you on this. Burr is just bad all the time. Higgins always seemed out to screw the home team and make the game about him, and Stephens is the same way. He's brutal.

Burr, Stephens and Hess - those are the 3 worst reffing today - Valentine would arguably be included in the top 3 but we're fortunate at the current time not to have to play a game with him reffing.

Since it our last Big East game against the Hoya's it's only fitting that we get the three best Big East refs ever...Froggy Paparo, Mickey Crowley and Larry Lembo...the younger fans might not remember these guys but they were as bad as Higgins and Burr are today...Only fitting :)
I remember a game against St Johns years ago and Father Borg was kicked out of the game by Froggy unreal.

Burr, Stephens and Hess - those are the 3 worst reffing today - Valentine would arguably be included in the top 3 but we're fortunate at the current time not to have to play a game with him reffing.

Who are the best refs today? It's harder to think of them because we focus on bad calls and bad attitude. Good calls and good attitude are invisible.

IMO, the 3 best refs are ...

Jim Haney -
jim-haney.jpg

Les Jones -
les-jones.jpg

and ... Higgins! -
john-higgins.jpg
(heh, John Higgins, that is)

Whats with the refs and their way over the top motions on charge calls?

It's like watching a player celebrate a dunk.

Seems really unprofessional for a ref to get emotional about a call, especially one that swings momentum like a block/charge.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate when refs exaggerate a call motion. You're not the star! people are not there to see you!

One of the worst things about HDTV is being able to see Michael Stephens get a halfchub when he calls a charge.

I don't mind when they make a very clear call signal, so we don't have to guess what the whistle was about.

Whats with the refs and their way over the top motions on charge calls?

It's like watching a player celebrate a dunk.

Seems really unprofessional for a ref to get emotional about a call, especially one that swings momentum like a block/charge.

1251191958_naked_gun_leslie_nielsen.gif

It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate when refs exaggerate a call motion. You're not the star! people are not there to see you!

Anybody remember this: Early 90's. Adrian Autry is driving the baseline vs. BC. He steps out of bounds. A ref runs and then slides over to the spot, excitedly pointing to where his foot stepped out. He has the whistle in his mouth. But, instead of blowing it, he turns to see if Autry will miss the shot. He does. BC rebounds and has a fast break going. The ref just gets up and runs down court. Everybody saw it and the Dome erupted in a cascade of boos while JB goes crazy on the sidelines. The ref obviously waited to see if making the call would be to the advantage of Boston College and when he saw it wouldn't be, he swallowed his whistle. He knew which side of the bread his butter was on.

Who are the best refs today? It's harder to think of them because we focus on bad calls and bad attitude. Good calls and good attitude are invisible.
Pat Driscoll is probably the best, but he is a Syracuse native and therefore never calls SU games.

Of the rest, I rarely get angry at Mike Roberts or John Gaffney. I haven't hated on Brian O'Connell yet either.

Ed Corbett seems not so bad.

Higgins II and Les Jones appear to be promising but I haven't seen enough of them to form a judgement yet.

Roster

Pat Driscoll is probably the best, but he is a Syracuse native and therefore never calls SU games.

Is this a universal policy, or is it the referee's personal choice? Froggy Paparo is from Syracuse, and we all know of at least one Syracuse game he worked.

Of the rest, I rarely get angry at Mike Roberts or John Gaffney. I haven't hated on Brian O'Connell yet either.

Ed Corbett seems not so bad.

Higgins II and Les Jones appear to be promising but I haven't seen enough of them to form a judgement yet.

Roster

Wasn't Higgins II the guy who called all those fouls in the Ohio State game?

What happened to Gene Staratore calling our games? Remember seeign him a couple of years ago after the NFL season concluded and I know he is still doing college games but I haven't seen him do an SU game in quite a while.

Is this a universal policy, or is it the referee's personal choice? Froggy Paparo is from Syracuse, and we all know of at least one Syracuse game he worked.
I don't believe there is an official policy that precludes this.

If memory serves me, Froggy stopped working Syracuse games after his legendary debacle game that caused so much controversy here.

I think Mike Kitts and later Pat, also both Syracuse natives, just followed that same path. If you make a controversial call against the home team, I would assume it could make your life really difficult.

A bunch of the BE refs, including Driscoll, have reffed Final Fours. Cahill has the most experience.

Linkage

I don't believe there is an official policy that precludes this.

If memory serves me, Froggy stopped working Syracuse games after his legendary debacle game that caused so much controversy here.

I think Mike Kitts and later Pat, also both Syracuse natives, just followed that same path. If you make a controversial call against the home team, I would assume it could make your life really difficult.

A bunch of the BE refs, including Driscoll, have reffed Final Fours. Cahill has the most experience.

Linkage
Ahhh...Thanks.

What happened to Gene Staratore calling our games? Remember seeign him a couple of years ago after the NFL season concluded and I know he is still doing college games but I haven't seen him do an SU game in quite a while.

He did this season's SU-UConn game.

My favorite growing up was good old Jody Silvester! My uncle had front row seats some time ago, this is obviously several years ago. Silvester makes a terrible call and during the next time out my uncle yells "Jody Silvester, that was the worst call I've ever seen in my life! Silvester turns around and casually says to him: "I've seen worse."! LOL

I kinda liked the 3 guys who did a game of ours lately (can't remember the game) and in the chat room no one had ever heard of any of them. And after the game, you would not have known 3 refs were at the game - they were invisible for the most part and called a good game. Although, some would argue that it was a game they could have called a few more fouls. But that's usually a hell of a lot better than the opposite.

If this is the case, wouldn't that explain a lot of the problems we have with Burr? He obviously would know he is not allowed to work our home games and that would have to anger him to some extent. Even if its subconsciously, he would want to take some sort of revenge when calling the SU games he works elsewhere.
He has to be on 90 percent of any banned list. Toss up between Cahill , TV Teddy Valentine, Ed Hightower, and Hess for the other 10 percent.

I kinda liked the 3 guys who did a game of ours lately (can't remember the game) and in the chat room no one had ever heard of any of them. And after the game, you would not have known 3 refs were at the game - they were invisible for the most part and called a good game. Although, some would argue that it was a game they could have called a few more fouls. But that's usually a hell of a lot better than the opposite.
Here's the thing this year. The ty refs involved with our games have been funking up the calls at the same rate as always. But for the most parts it seems like our oppnents are getting screwed more than us. I particularly love how they let Rak and Keita mug ppl underneath. They get 10 fouls a game, but only 4-5 actually get called.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom